Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Illinois

Notices

Thread: Northern Illinois R/C Offroad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #1

Default Northern Illinois R/C Offroad

Hello everyone.

For anyone interested... I decided to start my own local R/C Offroad club.
I always thought the area needed a good R/C car / truck club. There are tons of airplane, helicopter and boat clubs around but not much for Cars and trucks. So I started one.

The club is opened to anyone who is involved with or interested in anything R/C Offroad. Crawlers, trail trucks, offroad racing of any sort. 1/5 scalers, Ice or snow racing, backyard bashing, watercross, etc. We will try to find and or create events of all sorts for club members to attend as a group in whole or part.

If you think you might be interested or know someone who might be, come check us out at:

http://www.meetup.com/Northern-Illionois-R-C-Offroad/

Club Disclaimer:
before anyone goes into anything political or anything negative, I just would like to say: I'm not trying to step on anyones toes or steal members form any existing crawler clubs, or any other clubs for that matter. I'm Just offering a club that is a bit more expansive than just a single niche. People are welcomed to come and go as they please. Everyone is welcomed. If people wish to be members to more than one club that is cool, were not exclusive and nothing is expected of any of our members beyond being respectful of others, leave your drama and politics at home, and having a good time. After all were just playing with toy cars and trucks.
motorbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2011, 06:07 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

so basically a local forum for everything land based, similar to what chitownrc was before it stopped getting traffic. Could be nice if it takes off.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
Scale Detail Engineering

Where are you planning on meeting up?
My biggest problem is all the get togethers are in the far suburbs and chit man, it takes a damn hr to just get to the city limits!

ok, I just signed up.
Mike, do you live in Chicago?

Last edited by johnnyh66; 03-22-2011 at 09:27 AM.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
so basically a local forum for everything land based, similar to what chitownrc was before it stopped getting traffic. Could be nice if it takes off.

I guess so? I never heard of chitownrc. but I'll check it out. I'm kind of new to the whole R/C Car club / forum scene. I've been a avid R/C'er my whole life but never really looked much into clubs because I didn't think that there where that many local offroad R/C'ers around the area. I've been a member of a few airplane clubs, a heli club, and a boat club over the years, but never even heard of any offroad car clubs. There has been a savere shortage or R/C offroad race tracks in northern IL for a long time. so I thought it was sort of a dead hobby in our area.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
Where are you planning on meeting up?
My biggest problem is all the get togethers are in the far suburbs and chit man, it takes a damn hr to just get to the city limits!

ok, I just signed up.
Mike, do you live in Chicago?
I'd plan to do meetups all over the Northern IL area. If you know of any cool places in Chicago or the surrounding suburbs to meet up... I'm game. lets here em. Right now the first is set for the Fuddruckers in Schaumburg. Close to where I'm at (Palatine) We'll have to see what the demographic of the members looks like to figure what locations work well for the members. But first we need to get some members to see.
I know of several good places for R/C Offroading all over Northen Illinois. We all have to post Ideas and see where it goes.

Welcome to the club.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:41 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbikemike View Post
I'd plan to do meetups all over the Northern IL area. If you know of any cool places in Chicago or the surrounding suburbs to meet up... I'm game. lets here em. Right now the first is set for the Fuddruckers in Schaumburg. Close to where I'm at (Palatine) We'll have to see what the demographic of the members looks like to figure what locations work well for the members. But first we need to get some members to see.
I know of several good places for R/C Offroading all over Northen Illinois. We all have to post Ideas and see where it goes.

Welcome to the club.
Mike, if youhead just a bit east, there are 3-4 major off road R/C Race Tracks, Lake in the Hills Hobby Town has a Short Course and electric Electrics indoor track, and 1/8th & 1/5th gas/electric/Nitro course being built outside. Outback R/C is probably the largest in the area, electrics only though, and it's in Marengo. Lake in the Hills has another track at the Red Tail Golf course, it's not in the greatest shape, but it's there and is decent for practicing. There is also a few others, just not sure, seen flyers around at the LHS's.
PaloAltoK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:38 AM   #7
Scale Detail Engineering

See, that's what I'm talking about. Google maps says it's 1hr 15mins to Lake In The Hills... I'm assuming that's with no traffic.

There's a really fun hill that I run at in Evanston, James Park.
It's really a blast.
Here's an aerial:

There's also the breaker wall that runs most of the length of Evanston!
Old 03-24-2011, 11:41 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
See, that's what I'm talking about. Google maps says it's 1hr 15mins to Lake In The Hills... I'm assuming that's with no traffic.

There's also the breaker wall that runs most of the length of Evanston!
Hey Johnny, I know. But Mike is in Palentine and was saying he didn't know any local tracks, just letting him know as it's only about 30 mins from him or 18 miles.

SCRC knows about the breaker wall, we are actually going to check out a few spots along it and try and include it as part of our summer comp series, if you are interested.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:03 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

could someone please post a map to those rocks... I think they are only a few mins from my office and would like to check them out.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
could someone please post a map to those rocks... I think they are only a few mins from my office and would like to check them out.
Jeff, I believe Josh did in our comp spot thread. Josh and I were talking about heading out there also.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
I think this is the spot the picture is from, Sheridan Sqaure, off of Sheridan Rd in Evanston. GPS: 42.029115,-87.668702

**Edit: Also known as Garden Park??
Old 03-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

its another 30+ mins from my office... ouch. That same drive time I can make it to Iowa almost.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:41 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Evanston is not an easy drive from anywhere. I quit my job in Evanston after buying this house....the commute was painful on a daily basis. I would not mind the drive for an event though.

That photo is south of Downtown Evanston (I believe)....the other location is behind the Art Gallery/Lighthouse on the north side of the Northwestern campus off of Sheridan Road.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:33 PM   #14
Scale Detail Engineering

Yup, the photo is on the south side of Evanston. There's park and beach covering most of the S/E side from Chicago to NWU. Lot's of parking too.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoK5 View Post
Mike, if youhead just a bit east, there are 3-4 major off road R/C Race Tracks, Lake in the Hills Hobby Town has a Short Course and electric Electrics indoor track, and 1/8th & 1/5th gas/electric/Nitro course being built outside. Outback R/C is probably the largest in the area, electrics only though, and it's in Marengo. Lake in the Hills has another track at the Red Tail Golf course, it's not in the greatest shape, but it's there and is decent for practicing. There is also a few others, just not sure, seen flyers around at the LHS's.
Thanks for the heads up. I never knew abiout the track in Merango. I'll have to check it out. As Far as hobby town goes... I work right down the road from there. Im usually at the track every Thursday night for open practice. I saw the one over at the red tail golf course. I never caught the place open. when I was there it didn't really look like a track, If they charged to run there Id pass.

Unfortuneately my company will be moving to Wisconsin in a couple of months so The hobbytown is shot down for me, unless I could sneak out there on a weekend sometime.

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Yeah Lake in the hills is a bit of a hike for Chicago area locals. That's why I'd like to do the whole meetup group thing. events could be wherever we want them to be, making meetups accessable to everyone. It takes me about 50 minutes to get to the LIH Hobbytown track from Palatine. The drive is worth it though to check it out at least once (if you have a race vehicle to run) We need a track like that closer to chicago.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Hell I'm in.
thzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:51 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Nice photo of Mt. Trashmore (James Park). There may be some spots along the canal.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:30 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

evanston is 20-30minutes for me might take my girl out for a ride and preliminary look and see scout trip this afternoon ?? I'll take the camera If I get around to it. Memory serving last time I drove sheridan last fall there is a ton of break water walls damn near all the way down from evanston to the city but most are narrow and the water side is steep aka unless your running 100% waterproof and have a life jacket attached I'd think twice.

As I get time there are also a small smattering of city parks in all the way up north that lead down to the beach some are down in the ravines and I'm not sure if there are any good rock near them I've only been to one soo Time allowing I may try to scout those out also!

Last edited by WarTrader; 03-31-2011 at 08:34 AM.
WarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:00 AM   #20
RCC Addict

There is an area of breakwall east of the Marovitz Golf Course in Lincoln Park. It's mostly chunks of concrete with rebar and a few slabs of limestone. That is off the Irving Park exit from the drive and south on Recreation Drive. The area is east of the club house and a little north of there. Parking is available south of the club house.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote