Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Illinois

Notices

Thread: NIRC 2012 Top Truck Challenge!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default NIRC 2012 Top Truck Challenge!

This thread will contain information regarding the...

NIRC 2012 TTC!!!

Note: This is just a rough draft for now. We can discuss TTC rules and such and work on a final draft over time. Your help is appreciated. I don't know what I'm doing.

If your not familiar with this, become familiar:
2012 SORCCA Scale Rules

Here are the TTC rules/info:
Top Truck Challenge event coverage:
-Hoping to get some good pictures & video this year!
-anyone that can take part in this sort of coverage it would be greatly appreciated.
-I'd like to compile pictures & video into a 2012 NIRC TTC event coverage thread after the event so, the more the better!

Prizes for Top Truck Challenge event

-1st place prize is the Custom NIRC Junkyard Build Truck, Thanks to NIRC!
-2nd place prize is a Dynamic Concepts K5 Blazer Wraith Body, Thanks to neillarson!
-3rd place prize is a GripFab Stainless Steel Drag Link & Tie Rod, Thanks to Die-Laughing!

-Special Bonus Prize! $20 OFF Gift Certificate for GripFab Machine Works Products!
The Bonus Prize will work as follows. After the TTC has been completed, I will start a thread named "Best of Show TTC Rig!" we will all vote for the coolest looking rig in the TTC and the rig with the most votes will win the Bonus prize!

Projected TTC courses & locations (in order):

Location for the following events:Busse

1. Mini Rubicon (20 gate course)(day 1)
A 100 foot long rock crawling course that will test your pro comp skills.

Location for the following events: Roselle

2. Truck Pull / Tonka Pull / Tug O' War (day 2)
A 30 foot flat dirt/clay pull with a truck pulling sled and/or a tug o' war.

3. Tank Trap (15 gate course) (day 2)
A long trail in the wood of mud, logs & hills with a water/mud hole at the end with logs that you must pop over.

Location for the following events:Foster

4. Obstacle Course (20 gate course) (day 3)
A criss-crossing array of water holes, cement slabs, hill climbs, mud, off camber rutted trails, heavy roots, etc. Very challenging.

5. Hill Climb (day 4)
A series of climbs traversing a hillside. Multiple ups and downs.

6. Mud Bog (5 gate course) (day 4)
An "S" curved mud bog that varies from 3" to 8" deep.

Vehicle requirements for Top Truck Challenge event
-Top Truck rigs will be required to have a minimum of 20 scale points and no more then 40 will be given. Each scale point will be equal to .5 seconds off of the total time of the day.
-Top Truck rigs will be required to meet the current rules for the specific class they are in.. either 1.9 (C2) or 2.2 (C3). You know what they are.

Vehicle classes for Top Truck Challenge event
-The classes for this years TTC will include both 1.9 and 2.2
-Each driver can compete in both classes.
-ONE truck allowed per class.
-You can not use the same truck for both classes.

Vehicle suggestions for Top Truck Challenge event

-Your vehicle will get wet and muddy, therefore it is highly suggested to be waterproof.
-It is suggested that the vehicle has a working winch, no buddy assistance will be allowed.
- This event will test the limits of the vehicles, therefore it is suggested to make the strongest vehicle possible.
- Mud is sticky, therefore it is suggested that wheel speed and torque be of high concern when preparing your vehicle.
-Be prepared to get wet, have fun, laugh and break some parts!

General overall points/scoring for Top Truck Challenge event

Points will be awarded for finishing position. It will also be awarded per event by how many people are in that class on that day. So if there are 10 people in one class, 1st place would be worth 10 points and 10th place would be worth 1 point. At the end of the series, a class champion will be awarded.

General scoring and course progress for Frame Twister, Obstacle Course and Tank Trap:
- Gates and boundaries if hit will be a 30 second penalty.
- If a course can not be completed the driver must call out to stop time, all gates left will be added to the time the vehicle was on the course, 1 gate left is equal to a 1 minute time penalty.
-winching, rear steer, dig and reverses are all allowed and are not penalized.
-winching must be off a fixed object or a rig, no assistance is allowed during the winching progress, nor is anyone allowed to be touching the line or hook when winching.
-Goal here is to plan out your run, and make it as fast as possible, winching IS allowed, but obvisouly can hurt your time. You must be anchored to a rock, tree, anything natural, or pre placed steak before the first person runs.

Example: If 3 gates are left = 180 seconds (3 minutes) + the driver stopped time at 120 seconds (2 minutes) they would have a total time of 300 seconds for that course.

- If the course was completed, then no penalty will be issued for non completed gates and the final score will be the time on course (unless a gate or boundary was hit).

General scoring and progress for Truck Pull, Hill Climb, Mud Bog and Mini Rubicon:
-When marking progress on course, 1 inch is equal to 2 seconds.
-When scored on the mud bog, hill climb and mini rubicon distance will be measured from the end of the prescribed finish line area and from the back of the farthest back tire from the end of the course.
-There will be a set time limit to make it, break it, or time out. You can back up as many times as you wish, but if you roll or need to touch the rig to unwedge it, your time is called and your distance is measured. (no winching, it's about the truck and driving skill, not dragging your junk through the track)
- If a boundary marker is hit on the Truck Pull, Mud Bog, Hill climb or Mini Rubicon, The vehicle will be stopped as will the time.
-The time on course will be added to the distance not traveled (measured by inches), the distance will be measured from the farthest back tire on the course to the finish line.
- If the course is completed, the time on course will be your score.
- Winching is not allowed.
- Reversing is not allowed.

Example: If the driver stops time after 5 seconds and there was 72 (144 seconds) inches left of the course their total would be 149 seconds for that course.

Out of bounds markers and Gates:
-Out of bounds markers (such as gates and rope line) will be used to show a course outline, in the event that one of these is hit a 30 second penalty will be given, this applies to the Frame Twister, Tank Trap and Rock Crawl only. If a rope line is tangled on a vehicle time can be stopped to untangle the line, the judge will therefore allow the vehicle to be picked up to untangle. The vehicle will then be replaced in a similar location on course by the judge. In the case of a gate a vehicle will have to be driven out of the obstacle and back to the course, time will not stop for any other reason then a tangled line. A gate may be straddled for progress of the course, but a 30 second penalty will be assessed.

General TTC Info:
-Driver start positions will be selected from a hat before each course..the driver start positions should be random for each course.
-Drivers are required to contribute parts to the junkyard build AND come in first place in order to win the first place prize.
-

That's all for now.. Open to suggestions/changes to fit our needs better.

Last edited by Die-Laughing; 03-22-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
Scale Detail Engineering

Default Re: NIRC 2012 Top Truck Challenge!

The ladies and I will be ready
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #3

what about a 2.2 AND a 1.9 class?

i dont seem to remember it taking too long last year, maybe we could tickle some 1.9 action into it.

timmy wants some...
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
RCC Addict

You want to allow more than 1 truck per person? did we do that last year?
I know we had 1.9 & 2.2 but...

what do you guys think?

2 classes with 1 truck allowed in each class for each driver

OR

2 classes with 1 truck allow in one class for each driver

Last edited by Die-Laughing; 03-19-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #5

i meant we could do a 2.2 class and a 1.9 class instead of just overall ttc.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
i meant we could do a 2.2 class and a 1.9 class instead of just overall ttc.
I think you should just run Timmy with the big boy's.

Think how much more fun you can have if you beat them all with a 1.9.
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
Scale Detail Engineering

Just like now, each driver can run 1 rig in each class

Hera = C3
Buxom Melons = C2
Old 03-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Rick your thread looks great. I love the logo.

Here's a bone

For the hill climb buy a Tonka Dump Or Concrete Truck . The older the cooler. Tie it to the back of each rig with some rock or sand in back. It will then make that hill climb a lot harder. Plus way more scale.

p.s. anyone that has Comcast the Outdoor Network has every monday 3:30 TTC for a half hour.
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Thanks, I think it's coming along nicely.

I'm open to suggestions guys!

lol.. the tonka truck idea sounds a little goofy though. I can see it just flopping around behind the truck looking all funny. Interesting though.. could be fun.

Last edited by Die-Laughing; 03-19-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Ok guys.. I've been screwing with it for a while. Let me know what you think.. what needs to be changed, etc.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #11
RCC Addict

The tonka truck thing is used in place of a sled for the pulling. If you do the tonka, you do it up hill and with weight in the tonka.

I think 7 events might be tough to do, but I am game. Tank Trap and Frame Twister are awful similar. I think we did 5 courses last year, Pull, Hill Climb were standard, then 3 of the others depending on where we are running.

I am game for 2 classes. I think each driver gets one rig in each class.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I think it should be a 3 day event. With 1 week in between events. Rain or shine (serious storms should call for a postpone of an event, safety first)

As many events as we can pull off near roselle, 1 week to fix/prep your truck if needed, then a second event at busse, 1 week to fix/prep, 3rd event at foster.

You must run the same trucks you ran in the first event in all 3 events, in the same class.

You must compete in all 3 events rain or shine (those who do not compete in all 3 events run after those who show up to all events)

Just my ideas/opinions. All 3 locations offer great sections that we all struggle with. I say we combine the best of each location to make it as tough as possible.

I am fine with one driver running a truck in each class. But i think the C2, and C3 courses need to be different so one driver cant practice the course with a C2, then know the lines with his C3.

Last edited by Mega Fattie; 03-19-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Mega Fattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by saydee1800 View Post
I think you should just run Timmy with the big boy's.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:00 AM   #14
Scale Detail Engineering

hey, nice tires
Old 03-20-2012, 07:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Fattie View Post
I think it should be a 3 day event. With 1 week in between events. Rain or shine (serious storms should call for a postpone of an event, safety first)

As many events as we can pull off near roselle, 1 week to fix/prep your truck if needed, then a second event at busse, 1 week to fix/prep, 3rd event at foster.

You must run the same trucks you ran in the first event in all 3 events, in the same class.

You must compete in all 3 events rain or shine (those who do not compete in all 3 events run after those who show up to all events)

Just my ideas/opinions. All 3 locations offer great sections that we all struggle with. I say we combine the best of each location to make it as tough as possible.

I am fine with one driver running a truck in each class. But i think the C2, and C3 courses need to be different so one driver cant practice the course with a C2, then know the lines with his C3.
Im in and ok with this
JAS82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by saydee1800 View Post
p.s. anyone that has Comcast the Outdoor Network has every monday 3:30 TTC for a half hour.
It is on the Outdoor Channel, 1680 HD at 4:00 PM on Mondays if you are a Uverse subscriber.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #17

do you guys think 2 classes is doable? i dont want to make it complicated or sound like i'm nitpicking the idea.

i just honestly want to run timmy... if its just one class i will most likely run timmy anyway, just be nice to have 2 classes so i can either update lemonades axles or just run the pink.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #18
RCC Addict

I think it will come down to how hard we make it for ourselves. The 5 event day's we did last year went pretty quick. In that format, 2 classes would work IMO.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #19
Scale Detail Engineering

I don't see a problem running 2 classes... the Rubicon takes the longest and we won't/can't do that each time. especially if we go with the MegaFattie format.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:25 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Id like to do 2 classes. We all have more than one truck so, it would be fun to use them.

It might be tough to fit it all in a day but, heres an idea.

Have the 6-7 events I posted and just have it like the polar series except more hardcore. We will run 2 classes every time we go out and get through as many events as we can in that day. Then, whatever events we dont complete will just carry on to the next time out (which would be every two weeks). I dont see why we have to have an "end date" lets just make an extended TTC that will be complete after we finish all the events and we'll run two classes each day.

It will be easier to plan, setup courses, prepare, etc if we do it this way. I think with the more people showing up recently this will both allow us to get the stuff done when it gets done and not feel pressured and also, it might weed out the people that arent hardcore about competing in the TTC so, the people that are serious will rise in the leaderboards gradually. You know what im sayin? If a noob doesnt show up one day, we'll benefit from it. Lol

NIRC 2012 Top Truck Challenge! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NIRC 2011 Top Truck Challenge sally1800 Illinois 552 09-18-2011 06:56 PM
Top Truck Challenge Colby Tennessee 10 05-22-2011 11:52 AM
Anyone up for some Top Truck Challenge ??? chip cross Louisiana 7 06-15-2009 01:44 PM