Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Illinois

Notices

Thread: March 17 Champaign Il

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2007, 06:04 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

I have a small tractor with a rear loader for the heavy stuff and a small 2 wheel cart, also a trailer for behind the atv's. I am hoping to have the rock dumped right next to the course but the ground has to be solid.

As far as the lift on the xj, I need the lift first, I still cant decide what I want to do size wise, I have every tool needed.

And if your bringing your sammy, Ill bring an extra strap and my Ram to pull you off the course.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2007, 06:15 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Ill be there between 9 and 10, if you get there early thats fine later is fine too, Im going to start with the runs I have already started then if there is rock left after that build some new ones.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:16 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

I think Ben's plan sounds good.
Yea the sammy is a trailer quean. I'm not driving that thing down there. I'll bring some big *** pry bars that helps a lot.

I'm bring the comp tlt and the scale rescue rig.

Last edited by Cole82; 02-21-2007 at 06:33 AM.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:28 AM   #24
Rock Stacker

I should be able to get my hands on some rock by then, see what I can carry in the truck. Also a wheelbarrow or two and some picks and prybars.
I'd offer you guys to stay at my house, but it's small and kinda tore up right now. Doing the last of the remodel stuff to get it sold.
I do have a big *** shop at work with a bathroom and heat if ya all wanna stay in it. Its in Decatur, an hour or so WEST of Jetboats. Lemme check with the boss to make sure its cool.
Speaking of the shop, might be a place you can use to lift that XJ. I've done all kinds of lifts and I have about everything a person would need.

Later
Halfj-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:39 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Ben and I have to figure out somewhere to crash. The shop is fine by me.
Marc are you just going to badlands or are you doing jetboats too?
Old 02-21-2007, 12:22 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

you guys are welcome to stay at my place, the accomidations arent great but there is a futon and an air mattress. Heat is a space heater and there is a flushing toilet, no hot shower though. By Winter the house should be framed so it will be better acomidations but for now all I have out there is the cabin.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:31 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

Jeep = Horrible gas mileage = better not buy a hotel = Ill stay where I can!
JeepManMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:06 AM   #28
MWRCA'er

Gregs shop would be nice but being that it is about a hour in the wrong direction it wouldn't make sense. We would spend more in fuel driving there and back then it would actually cost to stay at a hotel near Badlands.

We are then faced with a few options

1. Stay at Jetboats, No showers

2. Campground at the entrance of Badlands, freeze your a$$ off.

3. Get a hotel
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:48 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

The only thing I'm worried about getting a hotel. Is I'm going to have a trailer full of gear. I don't want to wake up and find it missing. But other wise showers would be great after moving dirty rocks all day.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:09 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Badlands Campground doesnt open till the end of the month, I believe. I know this sounds ironic but, the hotels over by the prison, you prolly wouldnt have to worry about getting your stuff stolen off the trailer. Thats the last exit before Indiana.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:05 PM   #31
Rock Stacker

Lets do it then, I just wanna go wheelin!
JeepManMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:38 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

I'm finishing the rear bumper after work this week. The vertical tire hunge will be cut down later.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:28 PM   #33
MWRCA'er

That tiny tailpipe cracks me up, looks like it hangs kinda low. I guess it's good to have the backpressure with that tiny engine though.

The campsite should be open by March 2nd.
http://www.atticacamping.com/
My club camps out there every year the last week of March.
http://midwestxterraowners.com/nuke/...adlands&st=420

More pics here
http://midwestxterraowners.com/nuke/...hlite=badlands

Last edited by Mnster; 02-22-2007 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:59 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnster
That tiny tailpipe cracks me up, looks like it hangs kinda low. I guess it's good to have the backpressure with that tiny engine though.

The campsite should be open by March 2nd.
http://www.atticacamping.com/
My club camps out there every year the last week of March.
http://midwestxterraowners.com/nuke/...adlands&st=420

More pics here
http://midwestxterraowners.com/nuke/...hlite=badlands
It's 1.25" baby it's huge
Old 02-23-2007, 01:56 AM   #35
MWRCA'er

So I was thinking about course design and figured I'd throw out examples of obstacles I'd like to see.

Ball joint buster A obstacle where you ride on the sidewalls kind of straddling a crevice only in the crevice

Crawler Crack, Once you let one tire the crevice in it's over.

Twisted Dump, a really off camber section that flexes the suspension causing the truck to tip toe and slide when dropping tires off a ledge.

Stair Step Mountain, a obstacle with stair like ledges that raise up and zigzag while going up hill.

Great Gap, The truck must articulate or jump over a gap.

In order for this course to be really successful in needs vertical changes. (hills)
Maybe we can dig holes in the dirt creating a large pit like areas for the crawlers to drop in and climb out of. Flat land crawling just feels as though you are bouncing boulder to boulder there is no real challenge if you take the right lines. However, uphill stuff really gives the truck a struggle (a place to lose traction and fight to prevent rollovers.)

Last edited by Mnster; 02-23-2007 at 02:29 AM.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:08 AM   #36
MWRCA'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat
I know this sounds ironic but, the hotels over by the prison, you prolly wouldnt have to worry about getting your stuff stolen off the trailer. That's the last exit before Indiana.
I stayed there last time, it was Danville, IL it was weird to find a prison that size in the middle of no where. It was nice though as I was there for 2 day championship event at Badlands and the hotel was only 15 minutes from the park. It was like $70 a night though and the breakfast sucked.

After looking around there is a Red Roof inn in Champaign for $40 a night.

Or we can stay at the campsite for $7 a person.

Last edited by Mnster; 02-23-2007 at 02:11 AM.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:06 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

If you stay in Champaign you can leave your gear at my place and noone will bother it.

Digging holes is kind of out of the question since the hill the course is built on was made when we shoved a bunch of concrete into a pile. However, it is anything but flat, the front side of the hill is only about a 10% grade but the backside is well over 40%. I think I have planned for most of what you suggested. Im going to call teh rock place and see what a load of boulders would cost instead of the rock slap, they dont normally sell boulders by the tandem load though.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:12 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

I hate the twisted dumps. That picture there made me redo my whole truck.
A long steep flat climb is alllways funn too. If we can build all that at your place it would be awesome. As those pics are from differant states through the upper midwest.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:41 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

we might not be able to build all of that right away but, with a little time, a little money and allot of work anything can be built. Just have to make sure to build on weed barrier, the hwole reason I am putting the course where I am is because I have a major weed problem there since I realy cant mow it. Im also going to be putting in at least 2 benches and ringing the course in fruit tree's. it was the only way I could convince the wife to let me use an area so close to the road was if I make it look good.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:31 PM   #40
MWRCA'er

Before we go to Badlands don't forget to get a flag. They are over $12 at Badlands, only $4 at Walmart in the bike section. Find someplace to mount it on your rig, I belive it has to be 2 feet of the roof line. I just stick the fiberglass pole it in one of my beds stake pockets. Other people secure it with zipties. The flag from walmart has a bolt bracket.

Thats good to know the course is set on some kind of hill. As long as the rocks are about basketball size or bigger we should be good.