Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Illinois

Notices

Thread: March 17 Champaign Il

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2007, 01:58 AM   #41
MWRCA'er

The weather forecast looks better down south then around here. My club is going to badlands the week before and the week after the 17th that way I can see if there will be any snow on the ground.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2007, 07:19 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

snow is the least of my worries, the course is right next to my creek and in a flood plain, thats the only reason the wife let me build it where I did. With the snow melt and extra rain they have been getting Im a little worried it might be flooded or at least too wet to work
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:22 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Let us knw about the raging river coarse. Sounds like a ride at 6flags.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:36 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

I dont imagine it will, just as long as the snow melts sooner rather than later
Old 02-26-2007, 05:23 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

While everyone is in Town should go to Slot and Wing, its the hobbyshop in Champaign (As seen on "that 70's show"). They have bins and Bins of used, out-of-date, misc parts. Prolly 20, 30 gallon bins of tires and rims. If you cant make it in there this time need to try later. Im working on convincing them to bring stuff to one of the comps but, they want 30 contestants before they will commit 100%
Old 02-26-2007, 08:33 PM   #46
MWRCA'er

I'm definitly in for that, I didn't know there were any hobby shops in southern IL. Last time I was traveling through I was looking for them. I thought with the Tower hobbies distrubution center there would be tons of wholesalers. I guess that must be why there is not many hobby shops around there. It would take a day at the most to get anything you want.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:13 PM   #47
Pebble Pounder

I'll be able to help out on the 17, I may have extra help with me. I'll know more as we get closer to the 17.
thumbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:04 AM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Slot and Wing is the Tower Graveyard, greatplanes Graveyard, Duratrax Graveyard etc. If it gets returned, broken, doesnt sell, etc... They call Mark up and he buys the stuff by the truck load. The worst part is trying to make your way through the place because most isles you have to turn sideways. They are only open till 5 though so that becomes a problem. But if you get there at 4:55 they stay open till everyone leaves.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:12 AM   #49
Rock Stacker

Slot and wing looks like a garage sale on steroids. The main kid who works there is a jerk, but the rest of 'em are ok. And you're a second class hobbiest if you don't fly or have nitro. (can you guess i've been snubbed more than once there???)
Yeah Tower, Hobbico and Great Planes are located in town, but none of them sell retail. Try to get one of the Slot & wing guys to rant about Tower, its funny and sad at the same time.
One of the guys from my old jeep club might be going along, taking his custom 4-link CJ out on its second run. I'm also trying to get him into RCcrawling.
Later
Halfj-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:40 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

When ever Randy ( the younger guy) is in there I always get great deals, now when the owner (Mark) is there the price is doubled. Maybe its because I have been going there since I was 10 that I dont have any issues.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:30 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

How hard can it be to get a Tandem load of Boulders?!?!?!!? this is the second day I have called the rock place and they still arent sure if they can sell me that many boulders or if I am stuck with Slap rock.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:19 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Default The Rock is Ordered!!!!

Finally got ahold of the owner of the rock place.... 14 ton of mixed size boulders, anywhere from 12" up to huge. Its going to be $350 so anyone that wants to chip in feel free.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:30 PM   #53
Rock Stacker

Hey, I got to thinking, which is scary in of itsself, but I have a huge hammer drill and a generator. Thinking maybe if some of these rocks really are huge, will they need to be broke down? Maybe help make your money go a little further, and maybe "shape" a few obstacles? So should I bring it? Heck, we could get real crazy and mount some kind of permanent anchors in the rock for rope bridges too.
Laters
Halfj-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:02 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

your call, Im not sure just how huge any of these will be, the guy just said some may be huge, its basically what ever they scoop up from the yard.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:14 PM   #55
MWRCA'er

One thing I've noticed about lime stone is that it is usually square boulders like cinder blocks. The local golf course and skate park here has lime stone rocks lining the course. So some shaping might be good to knock the edge of so our trucks don't get hung up so much. Lime stone is pretty soft, it probably won't take much.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:22 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

NO LIMESTONE...I ordered Boulders, it will be a mixed bag of rock, granite,marble,sandstone etc.....supposed to be a good mix of what they carry. Once we get the initial course down and I can get some money together I will order some Limestone Riprap to fill in the voids but, for now Im avoiding the stuff.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:27 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like a lot for rocks.?...
You live out in the country farmers will give you rocks for free.
I'll bring money down for you as I'm sure I'll be using the place for some carnage.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:29 PM   #58
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfj-7
Hey, I got to thinking, which is scary in of itsself, but I have a huge hammer drill and a generator. Thinking maybe if some of these rocks really are huge, will they need to be broke down? Maybe help make your money go a little further, and maybe "shape" a few obstacles? So should I bring it? Heck, we could get real crazy and mount some kind of permanent anchors in the rock for rope bridges too.
Laters

I think you can get a chissel bit for the hammer drill, or if some one has a a air chissel I can pull the gas air compressor out of my work van and bring it allong. I'll bring some money along to help fund the rock pile.
thumbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:11 PM   #59
MWRCA'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat
NO LIMESTONE...I ordered Boulders, it will be a mixed bag of rock, granite,marble,sandstone etc.....supposed to be a good mix of what they carry. Once we get the initial course down and I can get some money together I will order some Limestone Riprap to fill in the voids but, for now Im avoiding the stuff.
Great! Should make for a much cooler looking course and a better looking yard. I'll donate some funds too.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:05 AM   #60
I wanna be Dave

I have a river to pull rock out of but, that takes a very long time, no way it would be ready for this year. And the farmers around me seem to like their rock, I asked a cattle farmer up the road about his pile and got a very stern "NO"