Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Indiana

Notices

Thread: Crawling areas in Indiana

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 08:39 AM   #1
Colt Python/SR9c

Default Crawling areas in Indiana

So where the heck are all the crawling areas in Indiana?

About the only ones I know about are Rox Box, 4WPW, Arbuckle, and FOTO.

There has got to be more areas than these 4. Anyone know of old mining quarries or other spots to be able to hold a comp?
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2010, 08:55 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Summit raceway in Ft Wayne has an outdoor course. Its nothing big but its a spot. I have a few privately owned places in Northern IN that I practice at that have some huge rocks and some sick lines but the property owners would likely not like to have a lot of people show up.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

With your club getting Indiana's bids for the Nationals, I thought we could get that answer from you?

Damn Indiana, nothing but corn fields! If you find anything please post up.
RealDeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
Colt Python/SR9c

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealDeel View Post
With your club getting Indiana's bids for the Nationals, I thought we could get that answer from you?
Not sure what bids have to do with locations.. But just because we get bids, doesn't mean I know where every location in Indiana is.Hell, you need to remember I am from Ohio

Just figured that if we could find more locations in Indiana it would help you guys get out to the events closer to you, to fight for those bids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
Yeah i know.. I have seen some places on maps, but never really could find anything..
Old 09-30-2010, 01:50 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Nevermind

Last edited by transambill; 10-02-2010 at 02:58 PM. Reason: nobody cares
transambill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:34 AM   #6
WWW.THEROXBOX.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCreations View Post
So where the heck are all the crawling areas in Indiana?

About the only ones I know about are THE Rox Box, 4WPW, Arbuckle, and FOTO.

There has got to be more areas than these 4. Anyone know of old mining quarries or other spots to be able to hold a comp?
Bro i think these are the best you get, Thanks to some stupid glacier we live in the flat lands. The noted locations are easy no brainer places. we should also remember that bender and oaks are not much farther than foto for a lot of drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboof View Post
Summit raceway in Ft Wayne has an outdoor course. Its nothing big but its a spot. A lot of us have heard this place was not much at all, if possible could you please post up some pictures of this place, Thanks. I have a few privately owned places in Northern IN that I practice at that have some huge rocks and some sick lines but the property owners would likely not like to have a lot of people show up NEXT,,, and i thought we were looking for comps spots.
NOTE: This does answer the question that there is nothing north of Indy

Quote:
With your club getting Indiana's bids for the Nationals, Your right Tri-State does get the bills for Nationals, That must be a kick a$$ comp location. .... Brian, im sorry but i'm not sure what clubs and invites have to do with finding comp locations.

I thought we could get that answer from you?

You did .............. The Rox Box, 4Wheel parts, Arbuckle, and Foto

That is what he is trying to do, find more comp locations. Which he does not even need to do as he already has 6 comp locations

Now, I'm sorry for my actions here ... but the whole point of this thread was to help grow crawling in the state of Indiana and to take comps to new locations. The sad part is this thread was also started 2 years ago and guess what, the same thing happened then. No one had any ideas of other locations. The facts are this, more good comp locations only make us better drivers and helps to prepare drivers that travel to event around the country. More comp locations also give more people a change to be part of crawling. Again i'm sorry for my smart a$$ comments, i guess i do love this stuff and only want to see it get better.

Thanks
The Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:44 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eye View Post
The facts are this, more good comp locations only make us better drivers and helps to prepare drivers that travel to event around the country. More comp locations also give more people a change to be part of crawling.
Well said!!
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:47 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Cloverdale, IN
CataractFalls.com
Cataract Falls Park Map

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...,0.006968&z=18

Lower Waterfall:

The upper pics were all taken about a 1/4 mile upstream from the lower waterfall.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:56 AM   #9
Colt Python/SR9c

LMFAO @ Aaron.... What a smartass

Nice spot Tim, do you know much about the water there? You know if it floods like Foto?
Old 09-30-2010, 09:03 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Matter Park in Marion just put in a bunch of rock to make things pretty where an old baseball diamond was at, I am going to go check it out with my crawler sometime and see if its worth just practicing on or if a full blown comp would be able to happen. I'm sure getting park services to allow a comp would be no problem at all. I'll post up pics later when I have them.

And I will have you know, there is more north of Indy than nothing! Farms, fields, and fresh air! Silly city dwellers!
Handicrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:17 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I think Aaron might not haven gotten any last night or something...
Old 09-30-2010, 12:26 PM   #12
Colt Python/SR9c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handicrawler View Post
And I will have you know, there is more north of Indy than nothing! Farms, fields, and fresh air! Silly city dwellers!
Well if there are cows on them farms, I doubt it is all fresh air
Old 09-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Not sure what bids have to do with locations.. But just because we get bids, doesn't mean I know where every location in Indiana is.Hell, you need to remember I am from Ohio
Hope Arron takes his blood pressure meds before he reads rccrawler. To you and him, I was laughing when I typed the first post, just poking fun. Typical Arron comes back with his prefessional opinion........lmao

[/QUOTE]Just figured that if we could find more locations in Indiana it would help you guys get out to the events closer to you, to fight for those bids [/QUOTE]

The point about bids is I don't understand why I need to comp in OH for IN national bids. Like you said "your in Ohio".

Would definately love to find us all more spots. Not just for the bids but also the great competition we could all have amongst each other. Like Arron said, making us all better drivers.
RealDeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:16 PM   #14
Colt Python/SR9c

Quote:
To you and him, I was laughing when I typed the first post, just poking fun.
Ohh I know you was making a joke, thus the little icon at the end of your post. As I stated though, not sure why invites were even brought up as this post didn't have anything to do with them

But anyway, back to the topic at hand....Handi, if you could get pics, that would be great.. Thanks
Old 09-30-2010, 04:35 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Nice spot Tim, do you know much about the water there? You know if it floods like Foto?
No I don't. We stumbled upon the park on one of our trips home from Indy. Finding the rocks there was a bonus. I would assume that water would play a part in it. When I took those pictures, the water was pretty low. In the google maps, it looks like the water may be up judging by how much water is on the upper falls and you can still see the rocks on the map.

I'll be going back to Indy on the 18th and I plan on taking the crawler. If we got the time, I plan to swing by there again to check it out and run some of it!!
Old 09-30-2010, 05:25 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Ive just spent the past 3 hours looking over Geological maps of Indiana and studying the glacial paths and NOTHING! NOTHING AT ALL north of Indianapolis.
There are lots of glacial erratics (big boulders underground) but that it about it. Unless a farmer pics the boulders and piles them up, there is nothing naturally forming in Northern Indiana.

Southern Indiana has A LOT of cool stuff though. Basically the glacier that flattened out Northern Indiana stopped just south of Indianapolis leaving a lot of cool stuff. Thank the Wisconsinian Glacier for that!

Geology is something Ive always had a rather large interest in and this gave me a chance to brush up on my studies!

But THERE ARE NO POSSIBLE COMP SPOTS IN NORTHERN INDIANA. Unless like I stated before, about the farmers picking and placing rocks.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:53 PM   #17
Colt Python/SR9c

Thanks for the help Jesse

It would be heaven if we had stuff like other places such as CO. Ut., Al. etc... But as many years as I and others have looked, we still can't find anything unless it is basically man made.

Owell, it was worth a shot to see if people somehow found other spots over the years
Old 09-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Hey Jesse and Brian don't need any more practice, DAMN FOREIGNERS

You think Indiana has nothing try Michigan

Good luck with the ISC Jesse and Brian, you guys might as well keep the state titles together
sledge57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:22 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

No prob Jeremy

I've also been searching Topo maps of rivers and lakes. Nothing even shows on satellite images except for sand and muck.

Brian and I have been trying to find some type big manmade rock embankment around here. There has to be something around, but with the 800 miles a week and 8 counties I cover, I still have not found anything.

There are quite a few quarries and gravel pits around us though. They do mostly limestone and gravel though. Some of the lime slabs are pretty big, and after they blast it, it gets pretty small. Most of that lime is used for riprap and chit like that. I've talked to 2 gravel companies and they are not open AT ALL to any ideas of people crawling around on their rocks. Safety hazards are obvious reasons.

One place I'm going to look into is in New Paris, IN. Its about 45 minutes north of Fort Wayne. There is a VERY large landscaping company there that as a football field sized area that has rocks ALL OVER the place. Its constantly changing. They get loads of rocks and sort them into piles. The unsorted piles are pretty sweet. Nice mixture of large, medium, and small rocks. The largest being 4 ft in diameter down to 1ft.

The area is easily accessible and is easy to find. I know the owner (he's one of my customers) so talking to him about it should be pretty easy. If he is open to this idea, would anyone be interested in comping??
Old 09-30-2010, 06:26 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The point about bids is I don't understand why I need to comp in OH for IN national bids. Like you said "your in Ohio".
I do not want to have comp in Indiana for a National bid either, but guess what.....I will! You have to do what you have to do!
biggin69 is offline   Reply With Quote