Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Indiana

Notices

Thread: 2013 Scale series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 2013 Scale series

Scroll down for scale rules and schedule.

Last edited by Handicrawler; 03-02-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Handicrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 2013 Scale series

Jon and I have something in the works for the end of March. At this time all I can say is there will be 3 classes, class 2 trucks, class 3 trucks and a run what you brung class. The RWB class doesn't score like the scale classes but it gives everyone a chance to run there RC's.
I will be supplying prizes to the driver that comes in 1st in class 2 and 3 per event and it's important that you make every event cause the class 2 and 3 series first place winners at the end of the summer will win $200 in scale crawler cash/gift card to be used here at the vendor of there choice.
Jon and I will be getting together this weekend to get a schedule together and go over the rules. We will be following the SORRCA rules with minor changes to fit our series.
If you don't fit in the rules you still get to run but will be placed in the RWB class.
SORRCA rules,
2013 SORRCA Scale rules
transambill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #3

If we have questions on rules should we post them here or do you us to start another thread to discuss rules. It seems pretty cut and dry and maybe your minor rule changes will make it a little easier to follow but I am sure I will have some questions. I don't want to get to the first comp and find I won't be getting any points. Thanks for taking this on, it should be an awesome year.

Last edited by CheckMyBrain; 02-28-2013 at 09:07 PM.
CheckMyBrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Post any questions, no worries. As far as rule changes, we are only changing things to make it easier on everyone. The biggest things will be scale chassis, scale body, scale tires. If you have those, you will be able to get points toward the series. Bill and I are getting together tonight to hammer out the details so more to follow soon. I would like to say sorry to everyone for not having this done sooner. But, this is going to be a great year and I am excited to be part of this.

Your rigs will be able to get points Jaime, don't worry, lol.

Last edited by Turn'Nburn; 03-01-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Turn'Nburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #5

I was mostly concerned with how technical you were going to be with hiding the electronics but I need to waterproof the wraith anyway so I need to find a project box the goat will fit in. One other question would be running in more than one class. I usually always bring a 1.9 and a 2.2 truck.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:01 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

SORRCA
Scale Off Road RC Association
2013 Official Scale Rock Crawling Competition Rules

*Amended for Indiana Scale Series*

Introduction:
These rules are intended to standardize scale off road RC competitions that are held at various locations throughout the world. The intention is for all clubs/events to use these rules as written; however, they may be modified on a local basis. Any and all changes made to these rules at a SORRCA sanctioned event must be covered in a preliminary drivers meeting and publicly posted before the event.

Class Descriptions:

*If you run in more than one class, run your best rig first as you can only be scored toward the series with one rig (it wouldn't be fair to others for someone to get multiple chances at a course for best score) If your rig breaks down you can run a back-up rig on the remaining courses but not the same course you broke down on, you will have to take the score from the point of breakage. You can field repair your rig but it must not leave the course for repairs.

Class-2 “Trail”
• Description - A stock vehicle that has been modified to become a capable trail rated rig and is not necessarily street legal .

Class-3 “Modified”
• Description - An off-road vehicle that you would build from the ground up and might see in a TTC/KOH type competition.

General Vehicle Details
• You are encouraged to go above and beyond to make your truck as scale as possible.

• Vehicles must resemble a real 1:1 rig. It will be up to the collective group to vote on whether a questionable rig is accepted or not.

• There are no wheel size distinctions. For example, you can run a 1.55, 1.9, 2.0 or 2.2 rim in any class. Wheels larger than 2.2 are not allowed in any class

• Spare tires must be within 1/4" diameter of your drive tires to receive points.

• Tires must be scale appearing, if it is questionable have it reviewed before the event, or plan to run a different tire. As new competition specific tires are released this list may be updated

• Tire modification:
Tire lugs may be removed, siped, grooved and/or trimmed.

*Tire Ban List:

• Losi Claws (all sizes, and types)
• Hot Bodies Rovers (all sizes)
• Hot Bodies Sedonas
• HPI Rock Grabbers
• Panther Cougars
• Panther Leopards
• Pro-Line Chisels (all sizes)
• RC4WD Rocklin
• RC4WD X-Locks (all sizes)
• RC4WD Crazy Crawlers
• Imex Skulls and Bones
• Losi Bashers
* 2.2 Pitbull series 1 (with open lugs)
* Pro-line Badlands

• You must run a ladder frame chassis (for example: SCX-10, Trail Finder 2, Bruiser/Mountaineer, Reign RC K2-3S, 3L, 4, 5, MFM, TCS X-Trail, CR-01, UTE, etc...)
The exception to this rule is the Modified class Tubers (example: Wraith plastic chassis, or custom metal tube chassis), Vaterra Twin Hammers, Tamiya CC-01 or TA-02 (Hummer, S-10, Ford F-150)
No TVP (twin vertical plate) chassis' (example: AX-10, Venom Creeper) or frame rail extensions on a TVP.

• 4-wheel steering or dig is allowed in modified class only.

• No "Motor On Axle" (MOA) of any kind. All motors, transmissions, and other electronics (other than steering servos) must be chassis or frame mounted. Your axles must be driven by one transmission or trans/transfer case combo and a minimum of two driveshafts (except CC-01, TA-02, etc) No separate throttle control of drive shafts or axles.

• Any functional recovery tools you wish to use during your run, you must carry it on your rig at all times. IE tow strap, pull pal, and sand ladders.

• Winches are recommended but not required. Some longer courses (30min or longer) may require use of a winch, if you don't have one you can take a penalty bypass at the gate.

• Winching can only be performed off of natural objects (i.e. trees, rocks, etc...), other vehicles, or stakes supplied by the course builder. Winching off of a person such as their shoe or hand is not allowed.

• Batteries must be chassis mounted and should be hidden from view.

• Courses will be tough and made to push the scale vehicle's limits. This is to encourage competitors to improve their rigs from one event to another.

• Water proofing is not required but can be helpful. Some courses may be set up with wet areas as quicker alternate gates.

Class-2 “Trail” Details:

• Body/cage work must be at least 4.5" tall (including boat sides) and the inside of the front tires cannot extend outside of the width of the cab at the doors.
• A front bumper is required and must be mounted to the vehicle's rail chassis and must be wider than the outside of the chassis rails (chassis cross rails do not count as bumpers).
• You must run a full rail chassis, and the chassis (including bumpers) must be 3" longer than the wheelbase (this includes a chassis with a truggy rear frame).
•Truggies are allowed, but you must replace the ladder frame behind the cab with tube, and the truggy rails must extend past the rear axle pumpkin to be legal. The bed must have a roll bar hoop and integrated shock mounts. It also must be a structural part of the rear of the vehicle. (If your bed does not meet ALL of the preceding criteria, it does not count as a truggy bed).
• Flatbeds that run the full length of the rail chassis are allowed. The bed must be as wide as the cab the entire length of the bed.
• 2.2 max rim size (including spare).
• Gates will be a minimum of 13" wide.

Class-3 “Modified” Details:

• A bumper is not required, but to be counted for points it must be mounted to the vehicle's chassis and wider than the the chassis rails (chassis cross rails do not count as bumpers).
• Class 3 body minimum specs:
Rock sliders, mirrors, etc do not count in these measurements:
- The distance between the inside of the tires (of any axle) can be no greater than 1.25" more than the width of the body at the doors. *Example* (7" inside-of-tire to inside-of-tire = body must be 5.75" wide).
- The body must be at least 5" wide from the front to the rear of the doors.
- Tire height can be no more than 0.5" taller than cab height. Height is measured from the bottom of the skid to the top of the bodywork/tube not including a light bar. (5.5" tire = 5" tall from bottom of skid to top of cab/tubework)
- Chassis must be at least as long as the wheelbase of the vehicle (truggies or southern buggies excluded, but must be proportionate).
• Body modifications including, but not limited to, pinched front, dove-tailing and boat-siding are permitted as long as the final dimensions comply with the minimum size rules.
• 2.2 max rim size (including spare).
• Gates will be a minimum of 13" wide.

Last edited by Turn'Nburn; 03-03-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:04 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Scale Points:

Scale points are to be awarded at 50% of a vehicles total value (rounded down if necessary) for an average 10 gate course.
Minimum/Maximum values are to be determined by the event organizers or local clubs.
Scale points will be applied to a DNF but not to a DNS.
*No items can be counted more than once unless noted otherwise*

Bed: Not available to tubers.
• Tube bed OR flatbed: metal -3, plastic -1
• Bed mounted headache rack or roll bar: metal -2 plastic -1

•Truggy/back halved truck: metal -4, plastic -2
(Must replace the ladder frame behind the cab with tube, and must extend past the rear axle pumpkin to be legal. The bed must have a roll bar hoop and integrated shock mounts. It also must be a structural part of the rear of the vehicle. (If your bed does not meet ALL of the preceding criteria, it does not count as a truggy bed).Tube bed, roll bar, shock mount points not available in addition to truggy bed points.

Tuber: metal -8, plastic modified -4, plastic stock -3
A tuber consists of a complete body structure where the front, cab, and rear sections are comprised entirely of structural tubework.
Tube bed, roll bar, internal cage, and shock mounts points not available in addition to tuber points.
• Rigid metal/plastic body panels -1

Interior cage or exo-cage: (-3 metal -1 plastic) per row of seats or area where seats would be (vehicle doesn't need an interior to get these points). Cage must have down bars and cross bars in front and behind each row. Not available to tubers.

Tube accessories
• Sliders: (both sides) metal -3, plastic -1
• Integrated tube shock mounts: metal and brazed/welded to frame -1 (per pair)

Body
• Hard body: full -8, cab -4
• Drop bed : -3
• Complete custom built body: (metal or hard plastic, no lexan) full -4, Cab -2 (in addition to hard body points)
• Inner fender wells: -1 per pair

Bumpers (items must be chassis mounted and separate from the body).
• Bumpers : metal -3 each , plastic -1 each
• Stinger/grill guard: -1

Exterior roof rack/light bar (may only choose one).
• Roof rack: metal: -2, plastic -1
• Roof top light bar : metal -1

Interior:
• 3D interior: 1 seat -3, 2 seat (or bench) -4, 4 seat -5 (any 3D interior must include seat, dash, steering wheel and floor). A 3D SUV cargo area will be awarded an additional -1(class 2)
• 2D/half interior: 1 seat -1, 2 seat -2, 4 seat -3.
• Driver/passenger must be human, scale sized adult figures. Only available if accompanied by an interior.
-4 Complete Figure
-3 Knees Up
-2 Torso Up
-1 Head with arms
-1 point for 3rd and 4th passengers, with appropriate seating (Kids OK for 3rd & 4th passengers)

Suspension/drivetrain/steering:
• Leaf springs (front/rear): -3 ea, -7 both.
• Multiple axles: 3 driven axles -3, 4 (or more) driven axles -5
• Chassis mounted steering servo: -5 (front) -3 (rear) *rear= Class 3 only*
• Functioning transfer case: -4.
• 3D engine: Must be in a reasonable location and appear to be powering the drivetrain of the vehicle (-4)

Realistic interior/exterior items (max -6 pts): Items that are non-functional but you would see on a trail truck.
• Fuel cell, radiator, exhaust, jerry can, air tank or compressor, beverage cooler, hubs on all wheels, scale bolts(must be on functioning parts), steering stabilizer, disc/drum brakes on all wheels, trans/transfer shifter, 3D gauges, window cranks/armrests/door panels, mirrors(2), wipers(2), antenna, license plate, fire extinguisher, gun rack(class 2 only), trail tools (Hi-lift jack, shovel, pry bar, ax, etc.) first aid, 4 or 5 point safety harnesses(stock style seat belts ok for class 2), etc. -1 each

Functional items (max -8 pts for all items listed below, no multiples unless stated):
• Tow strap, bungee cords, D-ring(max -2 point), Pull Pal, snatch block, sand ladder(per pair, max -1), hitch, tool box or tool/duffel bag(must function), opening doors or hood or tailgate, spare tire mount, fairlead for servo winch, etc. -1 each
• Headlights(2) and taillights(2) -2 Must be on when running course
• Winch -2 front, -2 rear, scale hook -1(max -4) Winch must function
• Full size spare tire. -3

Last edited by Turn'Nburn; 03-17-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:29 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

2013 Scale Series Comp Schedule

March 24-Fall's of the Ohio

April 28-Clifty Falls

May 19-Nick's House, Bedford, IN

June 30-Cataract Falls

July 14-Arbuckle Park

August 18-Fall's of the Ohio

September 15-Nick's House, Bedford, IN

October 13-Arbuckle Park (but could change)
Old 03-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #9

Schedule looks great for me. nothing scheduled during my honeymoon in may. only other complications would be weekends on call but I usually dont have an issue trading weekends with someone else.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #10

so if I am reading the rules right the scx10 will be a trail class and the wraith will be a modifed class. Trying to figure which I want to run for points since I cant run both.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Depending on mods, yes the SCX10 would be considered a class 2 trail truck and with the tube chassis a Wraith has ,there all class 3 rigs.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #12

I know you haven't posted up scale points rules yet but I have a question. I have a gun rack in the rear window of the honcho. This doesn't seem to be covered anywhere. There is a realistic exterior item points breakdown but nothing for realistic interior items besides driver and interior itself.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMyBrain View Post
I know you haven't posted up scale points rules yet but I have a question. I have a gun rack in the rear window of the honcho. This doesn't seem to be covered anywhere. There is a realistic exterior item points breakdown but nothing for realistic interior items besides driver and interior itself.
You'll get points for interior items just like a high lift jack, tool box, Keg,etc. attached to the outside of your rig does. Some people put mini dog's, mini cases of beer and mini RC magazines in the pass seat and there all good for scale points.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #14

Ok. I am just trying to see where I am at on points since there is a max amount points you can have on the exterior, I think it was 6. Just making sure I get everything covered. I need all the bonus points I can get. I am trying to fab up some inner fenders today for the front. Still no luck on finding a reasonable priced winch anchor that doesn't look like its made from an aluminum can.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Ok. I am just trying to see where I am at on points since there is a max amount points you can have on the exterior, I think it was 6. Just making sure I get everything covered. I need all the bonus points I can get. I am trying to fab up some inner fenders today for the front.
The breakdown of the scale points is now posted. We only changed a couple of small things. You should have no problem getting lots of points.

Quote:
Still no luck on finding a reasonable priced winch anchor that doesn't look like its made from an aluminum can.
Here is the one I got, pretty durable feeling...

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/scale...ch-anchor.html

Last edited by Turn'Nburn; 03-17-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I can build winch anchors if you need one. Who knows, come in first in your class at one of the comps and you can win one. ;)
Thanks for getting the scale points list posted Jon.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:14 AM   #17

I broke down and just bought a pull pal. when I need one for the wraith I will hit you up for one Bill.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:55 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Tomorrows comp is cancelled due to bad weather.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by transambill View Post
Tomorrows comp is canceled due to bad weather.
Yea......70% chance of rain all day in Louisville.

And snow up here in Indy.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #20

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can come. I'd love to do the Cliffty falls trip!
RENEGADE< is offline   Reply With Quote

2013 Scale series - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Godfather Scale Challenge - 2013 Spring Series ZNO-RC Idaho 266 08-12-2013 02:53 PM
ASTS 2013 - Austrian Scale Team Series daniels Competitions 3 04-05-2013 02:08 PM
NBRCC 2012/2013 series MR.VERTICAL California 1 12-04-2012 11:13 PM
2013 Points Series Ideas Monstergt South Carolina 4 07-10-2012 10:55 PM