Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Iowa

Notices

Thread: Iowa Blizzard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Iowa Blizzard

Did everyone survive? Had ZERO fun here. Was stuck either plowing or working on plow equipment. Very little sleep for 48hrs. From 5:30am Tuesday (5th) till 1:30am Thursday (7th) had 1 1/2hrs of sleep. El Sucko!!
Bart bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2008, 07:20 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Yeah same here. I only plow 4 driveways/peoples houses. Had to repair the rig twice.
Also I am the neighbor hood MR FIX-IT I had to fix 1 plow truck and 5 snowblowers.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:43 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

lol well im just glad im not the only guy that has to fix everbodys else's junk i had to fix some people's junk my self! lol we got 12 in's here how about u guys?
josh97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:56 AM   #4
MWRCA'er

We got about 12-16 inches here in Byron, Illinois. That snow made suffering through the summer with 4x4 mileage all worth it. Some of the city roads were unplowed for a few days. In some areas of drifting snow the snow was up the hubs. Nothing like wheelin on your way to work. Blasting past cars full of teens that high centered. Priceless.

It's melting away though, I can't say I miss it

The Old John deere garden tractor worked great in the snow. Using a plow though we ran out of places to push the snow. I have like 2 foot berms on all sides of the driveway.

At work that day we recovered 3 city buses that got stuck. We had the big Chevy K40 wrecker truck with tire chains so we didn't have to worry much. Sort of wierd our wrecker truck is a gaser, big 454 under the hood, low gears though.

Last edited by Mnster; 02-09-2008 at 02:11 AM.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:29 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Yeah we had 14.5" at my place, and 16" at my dad's place. I have an electric snow blower I made out of an old gas one that had a blown motor. I can get pics if interested. It worked great all year except this time. The front auger opening is only 10" high and 22" wide. I had to shovel the top then snow blow the rest.

Ben that is what I use on the snow is a 70's john deer 210. The belt breaks every other time I use it for snow removeall. Broke the motor mounts this last storm and one belt. They couldn't get the rubber motor mounts so welded up some metal brckets it solid mounted now.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:14 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

We plow Square D, Cargil, Worely Warehouses (all of them), Crandic RR, Comerce Exchange, NE and SW Post office, and Sand?salt all + Quaker and more small lots. And we did it all 3 times. Had 7 tandems hauling snow for 14 hrs Wed night 8pm into Thurs till 10am. Only 2 blown hoses on two diff toners.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:53 AM   #7

We didn't have quite that much around Ames. Only 7 inches. I was supposed to do the pics for a local HS formal last night but that was rescheduled dut to the blowing snow and cold temps.
kerjer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:53 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Funny Story, don't know if it's true or not. No its not by me.
Aug 12
Moved to our new home in Iowa It Is so beautiful the hills and river valley are so picturesque I have a beautiful old oak tree in my front yard. Can hardly wait for the change this is truly god’s country.
Oct. 14
Iowa is such a gorgeous place to live, one of the real special places on earth; the leaves are turning a multitude of different colors. I love all the shades of reds, oranges, yellows, they are so bright. I want to walk through all of the beautiful hills and spot some white tail deer. They are so graceful; certainly they must be the most peaceful creatures on Earth. This must be paradise
Nov. 11
Deer season opens this week I can’t imagine why would want to shoot these elegant animals they are the very symbol of peace and tranquility here in Iowa. I hope it snows soon I love it here.
Dec. 2
It snowed last night I woke to the usual wonderful sight everything covered in a beautiful blanket of white the oak tree is magnificent, it looks like a postcard we went out and swept the snow from thee steps and driveway, The air is so crisp, clean and refreshing we had a snowball fight I on, and the snowplow came down the street he must have gotten too close to the driveway because we had to shovel the end of the driveway again. What a beautiful place nature is harmony I love it here.
Dec. 12
More snow last night I love it the plow did his cute little trick again, what a rascal a winter wonderland I love it here.
Dec. 19
More snow I couldn’t get out of the driveway to get to work in time. I’m exhausted from all of the shoveling AND THAT SNOWPLOW!
Dec.21
More of that white crap coming down I’ve gotten blisters on my hands and a kink in my back, I think that the snowplow driver waits around the corner until I’m done shoveling the driveway. BUTTHOLE
Dec. 25
White Christmas? More freaking snow if I ever get my hands on the SON OF A GUN WHO drives that snowplow I swear I’ll castrate him. And why don’t they use more salt on these roads to melt this crap??
Dec. 28
It hasn’t stopped snowing since Christmas I have been stuck inside since then, except of course when that SOB “ Snowplow Harry” comes by, Can’t go anywhere, cars are buried up to the windows. Weather man to expect another 10 inches, do you have any idea how many shovelfuls 10 inches is??
Jan. 1
Happy New Year? The way It’s coming down It wont melt until the 4th of July! The snowplow got stuck down the road and the CRAPhead actually had the balls to ask to borrow a shovel ! I told him I’d broken 6 already this season.
Jan. 4
Finally got out of the house we went to the store to get some food and a god damn deer ran out in front of my car and I hit the bastard it did $3,000 damage to the car. Those beast ought to be killed the hunters should have a longer season if you ask me.
Jan. 27
Warmed up a little and rained today the rain turned snow into ice and the weight of it broke the main limb of the oak tree in the front yard and it went through the roof. I should have cut that old piece of crap into firewood when I had he chance.
March 23
Took my car to the local garage would you believe the whole underside of the car is rusted away from all that damn salt they dump on the road? Car looks like a bashed up heap of rusted cow poop.
May 10
Sold the car, house and moved to Georgia I can’t imagine why anyone would ever want to live in the god forsaken state of Iowa.

I love living in Iowa!
Focus07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:15 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Ain't that the truth!!!
Old 02-15-2008, 04:52 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart bender View Post
Ain't that the truth!!!
x2 sounds like me when I moved here.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:25 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

"1/4 - 1/2 inch ice. 3-6 inches of snow" ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!! Guess I won't be watching the race tomarrow, or getting any sleep for that matter. Guess I got the wood split and ready for the power to go out when the wind starts blowing all the power lines down too.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:36 AM   #12

Oh boy! More snow! :-( What happened to global warming anyway? I can't wait until Spring!!
Old 02-17-2008, 07:45 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerjer3 View Post
Oh boy! More snow! :-( What happened to global warming anyway? I can't wait until Spring!!
Remeber the 70's they said we were in for an ice age. Then the 90's were global warming. Now it's the gas crunch again. It's all a cycle.

Yeah now I'm driving RWD tracker I just bought yesterday. I guess we will see how it does in this crap.:-(
Old 02-17-2008, 12:08 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Watching the prerace shows for the Daytona 500 and look at all that green grass in the infield. People in short sleeve shirts, must be nice. Anyway can't wait for spring/summer. Wonder if I'll make into work tonight? Should I watch the race instead and call in sick, lol. Better not! Sorry I am rambling cause I am so sick of this winter, jeez more crap next weekend forecasted. UGH!!!
Focus07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:25 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Boy, dodged a big one yesterday/last night. A littel ice to sand and salt but not too bad. If that would have turned to snow holy sh!t!!
Old 03-03-2008, 09:49 AM   #16

Default Mother Nature is cruel!

Almost 60 yesterday melted enough snow to make room for another couple inches over night. :-(
Old 03-03-2008, 10:15 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

It hit here before it got to you guys. It never really got too horrible here, just a lot of rain, then slush, then some light snow, and then , and nasty winds. It was great. I was at U-pull-it trying to get an ignition module out when the crap started coming down... it was FUUUUUUN!!!!!:-P then I still had to pull a wiper transmission for my Jeep and a set of heater controls for my Honda... By the time I got done I was soaked and freezing.
JavelinSST390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:36 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

It seems like all the ugly sh!t looms over CR, Ia City, Wawaloo everytime. Anyone have any anti-depression drugs they want to share. This is just killing me. It was 56 yesterday. Now I have 3 inches of snow here at home. Thank GOD CR didn't get more. No plowing. Roads were CRAP this morning though.

JavelinSST390, yer Gremlin is tits by the way. I shoulda got that body too when I bought the Pacer.