Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Iowa

Notices

Thread: Iowa Chit Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2008, 10:21 AM   #121
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart bender View Post
Welcome to RCC TOYOTAS. Where are those rock piles, Waterloo? That second pic of yer truck is sweet, you're carrying 2 tires:
That is Dan's offroad park down by Knoxville. You can go down there if you have 3 or more truck and are part of a club. Otherwise you can go down on toy's for tot's on the big summer weekends. IT is probably number 1 or 2 in IA wheeling spots. The other spot is in western IA where the tall corn toyota events are held.
Quote:
Cole has the concrete experience so I let him try the texture hopper thing first. Guinea pig Cole, nice JEEP comment by the way
Yeah I meant a family wheeler in mostly stock form either a grand or regular cherokee. Not a mod jeep like yours. Also yeah I need it to warm up to like 35deg for 4-5 hours.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2008, 12:23 PM   #122

Hello, just another FNG from Iowa, married with 2 kids. I've had real 4x4's since I could drive, currently have a 78 Bronco and 72 Chevy. just recently got into to rc cralwers. I bought a used nylint 1:6 scale in Oct. , that got me hooked, so I bought a used rtr AX10 and just got a wheely king last week that I will convert to crawler.
Bronco Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:25 PM   #123

I started out with a 4x8 of 1/8 hardboard, like $6 a piece, then stapeled boxes to it. I put a few boxes down then lay bed sheet over it to see what it looks like. Then when you have the whole thing layed out lay chicken wire over the boxes, staple around the edges and inside here and there to ensure the shape you want. After that lay burlap down and get some dry set mortar for under kitchen tile, I just got a 50 lbs bag from menards today for $8. Mix that up so it it pretty runny, then slather it around by hand. A whole 4x8 sheet can't cost more than $25. They are still easily portable with 2 guys. They get a little old but if you make 2 you can always rearrange them and get a few more lines out of them. It is just a cheap way to get your fix in while the weather is crappy.
colesdad45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 04:34 PM   #124
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole82 View Post
Yeah I meant a family wheeler in mostly stock form either a grand or regular cherokee. Not a mod jeep like yours. Also yeah I need it to warm up to like 35deg for 4-5 hours.
The wife had a '00 Cherekee Sport when we first started dating. I loved that thing 4.0L 4 door, auto, there just wasn't enought head room in it for me. Friggin sasquatch. You could pick one of those up in good shape for cheap. Grands are a great choice too but yer gonna pay quite abit more for a nice one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Driver View Post
Hello, just another FNG from Iowa, married with 2 kids. I've had real 4x4's since I could drive, currently have a 78 Bronco and 72 Chevy. just recently got into to rc cralwers. I bought a used nylint 1:6 scale in Oct. , that got me hooked, so I bought a used rtr AX10 and just got a wheely king last week that I will convert to crawler.
Welcome, damn it's nice to see more and more locals on the board. Sorry about the Nylint

Quote:
Originally Posted by colesdad45 View Post
I started out with a 4x8 of 1/8 hardboard, like $6 a piece, then stapeled boxes to it. I put a few boxes down then lay bed sheet over it to see what it looks like. Then when you have the whole thing layed out lay chicken wire over the boxes, staple around the edges and inside here and there to ensure the shape you want. After that lay burlap down and get some dry set mortar for under kitchen tile, I just got a 50 lbs bag from menards today for $8. Mix that up so it it pretty runny, then slather it around by hand. A whole 4x8 sheet can't cost more than $25. They are still easily portable with 2 guys. They get a little old but if you make 2 you can always rearrange them and get a few more lines out of them. It is just a cheap way to get your fix in while the weather is crappy.
That sound easy enough. And cheap. The guys in Omaha are building the next Midwest Challenge caurse cutting sheets in half to make it even more rearrangable (is that even a word)
Bart bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:10 PM   #125

when may we see a comp from the omaha guys? I am still wanting to actually see another crawler, not just in a magazine. I just got my 5 year old a ARTR and now it's got me wanting to put the super to the side and build one. I think I am going to try and fab up a tuber for an axial. they are so much easier to find a difficult line for.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:25 PM   #126
I wanna be Dave

I only have Supers and will never give them up. I have my 1/8th scaler too. I think I may venture into the 2.2s with the Rock Force. I would love to get together and tip a couple this winter while BS'n about our junk. My shop has enough room under roof to have an indoor comp. Maybe we could all build a couple sheets and hook em up for an indoor arena. We'd have to have enough so us Super guys would have a challenge.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:40 PM   #127

well after this mornings project dries I will have 2, maybe more I still have a little more floor space available. where do you live?
Old 11-22-2008, 05:54 PM   #128
I wanna be Dave

Bart is in Center point.

If we all bring one of these "sheets of rock" we could have a coarse in his shop. I'm down for that.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:10 PM   #129
I wanna be Dave

Actually I meant works shop. I got a pretty big garage but no heat other than a diesel slamander heater. I don't no why I never thought of the group effort thing before. That keeps expenses down for each of us. Other than gas and travel time.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:42 PM   #130
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Actually I meant works shop. I got a pretty big garage but no heat other than a diesel slamander heater. I don't no why I never thought of the group effort thing before. That keeps expenses down for each of us. Other than gas and travel time.
My bad so CR down by hawkeye downs.

Sometimes I have good ideas.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:14 PM   #131
I wanna be Dave

My bad for not being more spacific. Did it get warm enough for you today? I had a high of 35
Old 11-23-2008, 05:13 AM   #132
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

Hi everyone Dewey here I'm from Sioux City married , 2 kids and a parts monkey for napa auto, i have been in the parts job for 23 years and have been doing r/c since i was 16 with my first real truck a blackfoot that i still have. no 1-1's now sold my last one when gas was going up. it was a Frankenstein dodge... dana 60's from a 75 power wagon, cab and clip from a 87 pickup, 82 ram charger frame , flat bed from an s10 , 5 inch super lift , 36x12.50x16's swamper's, 4 to 1 low range transfer case, built 318, headers and super 40's flow masters
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:33 PM   #133
I wanna be Dave

Welcome also, sorry about your rig. Do you have a CJ5?
Old 11-23-2008, 04:09 PM   #134

Anybody interested in a rubicon body and rollcage that fits right over a stock ax10? Going on ebay if not.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:34 PM   #135

The second course is done drying today. With the multiple arrangments for these 2 sheets it should be hours of fun.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:13 PM   #136
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

Quote:
Welcome also, sorry about your rig. Do you have a CJ5?
yes used to have a 61 willys cj5.. glass tub 2 1/2 inch lift with 31x12.50x15's it was fun but to slow for me
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:01 PM   #137
I wanna be Dave

CD45 that looks pretty good. I think we all need to make one sheet and bring it to BB's shop

DCJ Welcome!
Old 11-23-2008, 09:09 PM   #138
Rock Stacker

I'm up for the indoor thing and all of us getting together. I have a 30'X30' heated garage that we could use Colesdad's rock sheets and some other materials to crawl on. And if the snow stays at bay there is all knids of rip rap limestone along the Mississippi river banks we could do in Dubuque. Post your thoughts I am ready to meet the rest of you guys.

>>>-------->MaxxRunner
MaxxRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:14 AM   #139

sounds to me like we just need to wait til after this week and set a time and place to gtg and play. With diesel finally back to below $3 I can convince the wife to let me load up the duramax and bring my rocks. I agree that if we were to all make on we could have a hell of a course.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #140
I wanna be Dave

Look at this!
IT's morter mix too
Our little indoor crawl course