Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Iowa

Notices

Thread: Iowa Chit Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2008, 03:41 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Iowa Chit Chat

Hell everyone else is doing it. What's every body do to pay for this insane hobby? Kids, married, 1:1's?

Personally; married 8 years, boy 4 in June, girl 2 in May. '94 Chevy K1500, original owner, '04 Yota Sequoia(sp), '79 CJ5, '00 Honda Foreman S. Heavy Equipment Mechanic for Gee Grading and Excavating in CR. Been getting FILTHY, and getting paid for it, since '93 I guess. Worked for Cat and JD, now out of the retail side of the business, thank God. I keep hydrated with Miller Lite and SoCo 7's.
Bart bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2008, 04:05 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Personally I am single. I have a 8 yr old son and a 7 year old daughter but they live with their mother in Oklahoma. And right now I dont have a 1:1 vehicle, soon will though. Job have been in the retail industry working at Wallyworld for 13 years. With child support and rent and bills I save what I can for this hobby.
Focus07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:58 AM   #3

I've been married for 11 years already. We're not grown up enough for kids yet. I drive an 96 Jeep Cherokee Sport and the wife has an 2005 Ford Escape. I've been a HVAC Tech for 12 years now with the last 5 years being at ISU.
kerjer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Getting married in OCT. have a 2year old doughter. I drive a 2000 tracker, wife has a 2004 malibu. Toy is a 94 samurai decked out gears lockers winch etc. Have a house on the NW side of CR. I also have quit a big mountain bike collection going on. For a living I work construction for the family buisines. I love the work and have done other jobs a couple of time. Allways come back to general contactor though. I was a auto body guy for a few years, also did custom metal work for a while gates and other ornamental stuff. The wife works as a cook at St. Lukes.

This winter is bad making a 1/2 of what I normally do sucks balls, even sold a few things to pay bills. First time ever having to do that.

Last edited by Cole82; 03-06-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:23 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Single, a boy 5 and, his brother 8 who I raised as my own son. I have thought about marrige, we get along until I talk to other women, it won't work successfully. I work 3rd shift at Graham Mfg in Mason City. Seven years at the trimsaw, but have worked everywhere in the building. Our scrap doors make good work benches, scale train layouts, or a rock table for an indoor course, let me know if you are looking for anything. Driving a '99 Toy Prerunner, looking for a house in MC so I can ride my bike to work and save gas money for weekend trips.

Been doing RC projects on and off since the 80's. Got a Frog from a hobby shop in Waverly. It is a monster truck today. Quit RC after college, decided that in 2002 that my old equipment needed to be sold off. I got more stuff now, but the old stuff us gone!!

Name:  Frogconversion.JPG
Views: 204
Size:  63.8 KB

Last edited by scaryfast12; 03-15-2008 at 11:55 AM. Reason: frog pic
scaryfast12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:21 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

A Frog that is a monster truck now? Got any pics? Since the 80's huh. I have an original AE RC10 (bushings no ball bearings) buggy kit Never been out of the box. These are what we (brother and I) raced when we had the tracks at Hawkeye Downs, if any one remembers that. Started racing RC in sheesh about '80 or '81 I guess. Got a DL and that was the end of RC for me. It was chicks and hotrods. My '66 Impala took up most of my time.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:01 PM   #7
MWRCA'er

Personally; Been single forever, women like me but find me boring, I don't like to talk much. '90 Nissan Hardbody King Cab pickup, Third owner with 215,000 miles; Been wheeling it now and then; Also been looking at newer vehicles for the past month. I left school with a Associates degree in Diesel Mechanics. I'm a city Bus fueler/mechanic for the Rockford Mass Transit district. I've worked at a local lexus dealer detailing cars, and a dishwasher in a nursing home. Glad I left those jobs. I like Gatorade, Mountain dew and don't like alcohol in less I get a lot in me.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:23 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart bender View Post
A Frog that is a monster truck now? Got any pics? Since the 80's huh. I have an original AE RC10 (bushings no ball bearings) buggy kit Never been out of the box. These are what we (brother and I) raced when we had the tracks at Hawkeye Downs, if any one remembers that. Started racing RC in sheesh about '80 or '81 I guess. Got a DL and that was the end of RC for me. It was chicks and hotrods. My '66 Impala took up most of my time.
I can get pics...

We had a 72 Maverick Grabber. Would stuff it full of TP on weekends...until it got jumped and holed the oilpan...
Old 03-08-2008, 05:31 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnster View Post
Personally; I left school with a Associates degree in Diesel Mechanics. I'm a city Bus fueler/mechanic for the Rockford Mass Transit district.
I didn't know you were a diesel grease monkey too. That's the same degree I hold. I used to work for Martin Equipment. The Rock Island store always had busses in their shop. Deere powered, I think they were natural gas or biodiesel I can't remember. Maybe some of your busses?
Old 03-08-2008, 05:40 PM   #10
MWRCA'er

Were all Cummins, biodiesel on large buses, Bio diesel with E-450 powerstroke vans.
We have the brand new cummins emissons engines with all the muffer filters and stuff.

The new buses are all fiber optic, they say there is no piece of wire is longer then 6ft. Something electronic goes wrong one of the 6 computers tells you what with flashing LED's.

Last edited by Mnster; 03-08-2008 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:24 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Tier 3 then I suppose. The busses in RI were Deere protos now that I think bout it. Fiber optics? So you can't even test voltages. Completely have to rely on the ECU's TCU's and what not?
Old 03-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #12
MWRCA'er

Yep, pretty much most of the troubleshooting is done by manuals.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:35 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Yeah I also raced at Hawkeye downs. Been into r/c since 87, I was 5 my uncle hooked me up with an ae pan car. Never have been with out an R/C since then. I had a big collection around 2000-2002 about 30 total at the same time. I don't drink, don't care if others do around me. It's just not for me.
Ben the right one will show up. I dated a lot of women then found Mallory she loves offroading and likes building stuff with me. The fiber optic stuff sounds cool. is it drive by wire too?

Last edited by Cole82; 03-08-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:32 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Cool Crawler NUB R & D

As a last minute decision, I took the family to the Midwest Challenge in Kansas City. Believe me the course was challenging!! It changed my thinking about 2.2 rigs and the importance of a good setup!! I'll put some more pics up at the competition thread for 2.2 Midwest Indoor Challenge.

Name:  Doghouseincline.JPG
Views: 229
Size:  89.1 KB
Old 03-09-2008, 09:22 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Nice gopher!
If you need setuphelp LMK. That chassis is still a top contender.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:14 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

They used the Exibition center in the winter to run 1/12 pan cars and my old man, Bill Wright, Mickey Hazlett, Gary Gallo and some other guys built the dirt oval/road course next to the clay Kart track. Who is your Uncle I may remember him. I never got into the pan cars until Storm Steel built his high bank, and even then I had lost intrest. I think I only races my RC10L once maybe. Heck I have a Dumas Quicky tri-hull boat that I built about that time and it's never been in the water.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:23 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Doug Kalina tall red headed guy.
I only raced when I could get a ride out there as I was so young.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Video from the front yard.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:01 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Cool vids Cole, Man the bike vid makes me wish My back would still let me bike. The indoor course looked like a challenge especially sine you can't ride outside much unless you snow bike. Man I miss that.

MaxxxRunner
MaxxRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:11 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Yeah I built all those wood stunts for the club. They loved them. The teeters are way easier than you would think. You can come watch/video.

Buy a tracker yet?

Last edited by Cole82; 03-09-2008 at 08:18 PM.