Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Iowa

Notices

Thread: The Iowa Flood

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2008, 04:46 AM   #1
MWRCA'er

Default The Iowa Flood

How are you all taking it? I've seen things on the news about Coralville, IA (our crawl spot) Just wondering if everyone is ok.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

No not realy I'm 1.1 miles from the river and my sh*t is flooded thats why I have not returned your pm. Been dealing with this crap. House is upto the floor boards. Garage is 4' deep in water. 1 sammi and 2 trailer under. Also my work was up to the second floor windows.

Our crawl spots that have had water on them for a while sailerville, the cave, mcbride, coralville.

Interstates closed because of water:
I-80
I-380
hwy- 30
hwy-13
that is every rode out of CR we are stuck surrounded by water.

Last edited by Cole82; 06-14-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:02 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Sorry to here that your flooded, I'll keep you in my prayers. Let us know if there is anything that we can do to help.
thumbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:24 AM   #4
MWRCA'er

Damn!:-(

Please let us know if there is anything I can do to help.

Are you still living in your flooded house and getting electricity and internet?
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:18 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Thanks guys!
Right now there really isn't anything we can do. Can't start pressure washing untill water is restored. No I'm not home. I'm at the parents house. I will be going over there to pump out the basement today. That is if the nation gaurd doesn't try and stop me again. It depends who is on the road block. Some want ID others will take your word. My ID still says I'm at my old house.

I have estimated the damage to be around $15,000 Mainly in the garage. The house is around $5000.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:46 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Sorry to hear about your flood losses Cole. I hope and pray for some dry weather. Gods speed.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:31 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Sorry to here Cole. I was wondering if you got hit. I spent Friday at the shop retrieving as much equipment and computers as possible. This is bad, very bad. The recovery time is just going to be emense. I heard this flood has done more damage than Catrina. 12,000 homes in Cedar Rapids alone. 44,000 people. Cedar Falls, Waterloo, Vinton, Palo, Des Moines, and now IC, Coralville, to name the big cities. The Mississippi is still rising and going to flood everything in its path now too. Sad, very sad.
Bart bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:11 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

You people downriver had a little bit of warning...it rained from 5pm Sat night, till 8am Sunday. By 7:30pm Sunday downtown Mason City was underwater. Overnight, nobody had a chance to prepare for 6" of rain, on top of 2" we had on Friday morning. No sandbags...nothing we could do.

I'm hearing different stories about the "haves and havenots" getting settlements. I hope you get a fair settlement!! Were expanding the floodplain and FEMA is buyingout unsafe houses here.
scaryfast12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:47 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaryfast12 View Post
You people downriver had a little bit of warning...it rained from 5pm Sat night, till 8am Sunday. By 7:30pm Sunday downtown Mason City was underwater. Overnight, nobody had a chance to prepare for 6" of rain, on top of 2" we had on Friday morning. No sandbags...nothing we could do.

I'm hearing different stories about the "haves and havenots" getting settlements. I hope you get a fair settlement!! Were expanding the floodplain and FEMA is buyingout unsafe houses here.
Yeah we are out side of the 500 year flood plain. Our insurance did cover $5000 so that will help. We did not have warning at my house they missed the crest by over 10' here
Old 06-28-2008, 10:56 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Out of 4000 homes in Cedar Rapids Iowa affected by the flood waters 2000 are now scheduled for demolition. That's unbelievable devastation and that's just one town. :-(
Old 06-28-2008, 06:00 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

HA! the 500 year flood plain. Mother Nature has no boundaries. The flood plain is a designation made for safety reasons, and the insurance agencies use that number to say who has and has not.

Decorah was around 48 inches from flooding. The small bridge, at the trout hatchery, flooded in August, and was washed out entirely. Decorah made out very well considering the huge amount of water. I talking to an "old timer" who said the spillway saved the entire town!!

The whole state was flooded, instead of crawling, we're going fishing.

WTF...I have come to this conclusion, The Earth will destroy us before we are able to destroy The Earth.

Off subject...PARKERSBURG

I was riding my bike, on the west side of Clear Lake, while the Parkersbersberg tornado was happening. I saw bolts of lightning and looked like it was raining on the East part of the Lake. Temp. cooled down about 20-30 degrees as the clouds drifted North over the East end of the Lake. The storm system, was feeding off of Clear Lake, IA. No moisture until the airport.

Last edited by scaryfast12; 06-28-2008 at 06:06 PM.
scaryfast12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:06 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Out of 4000 homes in Cedar Rapids Iowa affected by the flood waters 2000 are now scheduled for demolition. That's unbelievable devastation and that's just one town. :-(
They upped that to 300 homes out of the 4000. It also affected around 1500 businesses. Also if the city councle aproves the buy out program it will be around 2000 homes and 500 businesses. The time check area that is closes to the river floodes almost every year and really bad about every 5-8 years.
I have a couple of pics of after math and of the flooding. To be honest it's hard for me to look at them. I haven't even up loaded them to my computer yet.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:06 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

hey cole sorry to hear you guys got it so bad. Are you going to be able to stay in your house or is it a total loss?
gooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:21 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

The massiveness of the devastation is unbelievable this with surpass Katrina in total losses costs to rebuild.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:06 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Gooba we will be back in soon. We are waiting for new gas lines to be installed then it's ready.

Storm they upped the number to 459 last night on the 10:00 news.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:05 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

thats good then hate to see stuff affect people i know. doesnt look like we're gonna be crawling anywhere anytime soon road to saylorville is washed out and wont be repaired till fall and its still all closed off im sure macbride is too
gooba is offline   Reply With Quote