Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Iowa

Notices

Thread: Hi Guys...Iowa Newb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 09:18 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Hi Guys...Iowa Newb

Hi Everyone, Im Drey.

I found RCCrawler.com in a post on ColoradoK5.com where Obijuan posted up a like to a sweet scale K10 build. 51WillysJeep you have some awesome skills.

Anyway a little back story on me, before I got my license I was heavy into RC first cheap walmart specials. Then I bought a Rustler and was instantly hooked!

After I got my license I bought a 83 K10 pickup and got into it rebuilding, so on and so forth. In college I started running the Rustler again and loved it although after college I was immediatly wanting to get back to making the big truck bigger and it got tore down and ate funds big time. Fast forward a couple years and the big truck is getting close to finished and I bought a fourwheeler. You can only go "fast" on a honda foreman for so long before you get bored with it. My friends and I started trying to do more technical stuff and then I realized thats why I got bored with RC.

It didnt seem much later Obijuan started a thread on ColoradoK5.com about his Crewcab and I knew I needed to build one. Funds were limited until recently I decided the heck with it and am gonna gather the stuff up I need and that will be that.

Im going to go for a 1.9 K5 Blazer similar to what Im sure my K5 will end up looking like down the road. Because Ill just never be able to hack up the body on my K10.

I orded a TCS chassis the other day, and plan on running Proline Flat Irons. Going to go with a Axial AX10 ARTR so I get the hi clearance rear links and I was told it has a couple better parts right off the bat from the Kit. I might add a slipper clutch right off the bat to but im not sure. The body is going to be Pro-Lines K5 Blazer I am going to try to get a decal made to match a 91 Blazer grill the body lines wont be 100% but they will be close enough till I get a Clod body all made up. Radio wise I have a spare TQ and receiver laying around. ESC will probably be a Novak Rooster Crawler. Obijuan recommended an Integy 55turn motor for now. So I think Im pretty much all set for plan wise now...till I change my mind in a week.

Also I plan on supporting the site with a subscription but Im one off the suspicious tinfoil hat wearing anti-paypal guys. So Ill have to get a payment sent in the mail.

Glad to be on board here.
Drey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Woo hoo, welcome to the sickness! I'm glad to see the Iowa numbers growing.
WarMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:25 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

welcome to the Iowa board . Early's not to far from us so if ya ever get board and want to play of if ya found something up that way let us know . i have had a few blazers in my day a 73 with a 454 4 speed and 40" hawgs and a 83 with only 33's.... i miss em both . a few of us guys want to do a top truck challenge with that scale frame and a body to match. talk to ya soon
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Sounds awesome I cant wait to get my crawler built! If ya need any rocks let me know...weve got a big pile of em from our fields!

Heres some teaser pics of my big toys.

Only pic I have of my K5 right now...new 32/11.5 MTRs are going on this weekend and the running boards of coming off...should be some good ones coming haha
Old 03-11-2009, 09:53 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

well this is the only pic i have of my dodge i started building. it was a 83 ramcharger frame with 73 power wagon axles with a 87 cab , clip and a very small flat bed

Old 03-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Sweet what did the powerwagons have for axles? Dana 60s?
Old 03-11-2009, 10:15 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

60 rear, 44hd front, 4.10 s, 4 to 1 low range. guess i should say i did get it all built and blew the trans out of it and sold it
Old 03-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Hey welcome to the insanity.
Bubba73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:14 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Welcome aboard!
Focus07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:54 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Cool, Chevy's and a Foreman. I don't have my '67 C10 any more but I still have my '94 K1500 I bought new.

And my mud machine,'00 450S, 27" Vampires, White Bros pipe, HP kit, K&N, Works Steelers Coilovers, 4000lb winch, Moose bar, the stock bars don't last long

OH yah, welcome

Last edited by Bart bender; 03-12-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Bart bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:41 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart bender View Post
And my mud machine,'00 450S, 27" Vampires, White Bros pipe, HP kit, K&N, Works Steelers Coilovers, 4000lb winch, Moose bar, the stock bars don't last long
Mine is an 03 450S, I cant remember if Im running 26s or 27 ITPs Mud Lites, HMF pipe and Carb Jet Kit, K&N too. I have a feeling mine is gonna be up for new front shafts this summer.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:48 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Oh yah. Wheel bearing and seals and ball joints. Especially if you have any kind of lift on it like mine. Your has selectable 2/4 dosn't it? That would be nice for trail running.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:38 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Yeah mine is. I replaced those three items last summer. Acutally kinda funny. You can buy a pre-assembled knucke with bearings, seals, and a ball joint cheaper then you can fix your own knuckles.

I think my splines are wearing down on my input cv shafts though.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:32 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

That's how I fix mine too, knuckle and all. www.servichonda.com is where I get all my parts. I've only had an issue with CV boots on front shafts. Just got done rebuilding the rear gear. Splines on the axle and ring gear stripped.