Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Iowa

Notices

Thread: Sioux Falls SD Comp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy
Default Sioux Falls SD Comp/// CANCELLED AT THIS TIME

sorry guys... i am going to have to put this off due to other comps and people backing out ...local and the ecc put a hurt on this weekend. again i am very sorry for this . i know aq few of us made plans but for only 3 or 4 people going i cant see coming this far .

OK guys we talked about this last year, i and a few other guys would really love to have a comp there...lets get a weekend planed out and do this

Last edited by DeweyCJ5; 03-29-2010 at 11:24 AM.
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2010, 05:54 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Pick a weekend...I will be there! I wouldn't miss something like this.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

check in the neb thread as well ... trying to get them to pick a weekend as well
Old 01-04-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Oh Hell yah! The wife has freinds in Mitchell. They can shop in Souix Falls and I can get my crawl on with ya'll
Bart bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

good... glad to have ya

trying for April 17/18 weekend
Old 01-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeweyCJ5 View Post
OK guys we talked about this last year, i and a few other guys would really love to have a comp there...lets get a weekend planed out and do this

WOW.....I am gonna try and make this one for sure!! Looks like a sick place for a comp!!
Jeepial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:11 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

It's an awesome place, in the year and a half I've been going there I still haven't covered the whole park. I'm down for when ever since I'm local. I'm sure Tim would be up for it as well.
sdcrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:14 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I just sent a stupidly long email to the City parks department to see if we need any permits in case this thing blows up in a year or two. I know they have a huge hardon for this park, since it's been a 10 +year city project with millions of dollars dump into it. No one has said we can't crawl there in the two years Tim and I have been going there, but I would hate for it to be banned if 50 or more people showed up in the years to come.

I know this is all wishful thinking and speculation, but it never hurts to ask and make sure this are A OK.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcrawls View Post
I know this is all wishful thinking and speculation, but it never hurts to ask and make sure this are A OK.
Lemme know what you find out. I know Dewey is planning something for April-ish.

If the city has no issues with a full blown comp, I will be holding one for sure this fall......and there will definitely be 50+ people!

Also, since your local....if you could PM me a contact for a City Person, I would be very grateful.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:39 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I don't know the regs in SD but in IA if it is over 50 people you have to have a permit. The park ranger or city parks department has to aprove it.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:37 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

not a bad idea...i really didn't think of that. keep us updated
Old 01-25-2010, 06:25 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Will do! That would be awesome to get this place a hotspot for crawling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dawg View Post
Lemme know what you find out. I know Dewey is planning something for April-ish.

If the city has no issues with a full blown comp, I will be holding one for sure this fall......and there will definitely be 50+ people!

Also, since your local....if you could PM me a contact for a City Person, I would be very grateful.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:15 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Got a reply, from the looks of it we have to fill out an special event application for a full blow comp. I'm not really suprised, but it's great to have the info and app now.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:31 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcrawls View Post
Got a reply, from the looks of it we have to fill out an special event application for a full blow comp. I'm not really suprised, but it's great to have the info and app now.

good to know...so i wonder if we should get one ?
Old 01-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

This is awsome. Hopefully they don't reject it like they did here at the Coralville Spillway. It was after the comp though
Old 01-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart bender View Post
This is awsome. Hopefully they don't reject it like they did here at the Coralville Spillway. It was after the comp though
Hard to say, I know no one has said anything to groups of 5-12 before. Heck I even think the scaler guys have a yearly "bash" out there with maybe 20 people, maybe.

Either way if they think this is something that could blow up to hundreds of people in a few years I'm sure they'd ok it.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #17

Dewy and or whoever is thinking about holding an event in any city park you should look into the special use permit. It might be a good idea to have sdcrawls setup a meeting with someone so you can discus with them what you want to do. Have them help you fill out the premit request. I am sure it will help if you have a plan to make sure you leave the park the way you found it (no mess / trash / no park property broken). Explain how you will keep other park users safe.
In short have a good plan before you do anything on paper.
John Schoenauer

Last edited by John Schoenauer; 01-25-2010 at 06:57 PM.
John Schoenauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:31 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

well i was thinking a gtg... comp kinda thing... around 20 or so, but i could really see this getting big maybe not when we do it but if enough of the right people see it i could see a real comp going there and i would not want to piss the city off and have them ban us or any of the others there
Old 01-26-2010, 07:21 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I feel that 99% of us are responsible enough to take care of what we have to crawl on. If we abuse it we lose it. Those people are using up my air and I don't stand for it. As long as there aren't any fossils or artifact in the rocks I don't see this being a problem. The Coralville Spillway has fossils, and the tree huggers in Johnson county don't like people touching them
Old 01-26-2010, 06:23 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schoenauer View Post
Dewy and or whoever is thinking about holding an event in any city park you should look into the special use permit. It might be a good idea to have sdcrawls setup a meeting with someone so you can discus with them what you want to do. Have them help you fill out the premit request. I am sure it will help if you have a plan to make sure you leave the park the way you found it (no mess / trash / no park property broken). Explain how you will keep other park users safe.
In short have a good plan before you do anything on paper.
John Schoenauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeweyCJ5 View Post
well i was thinking a gtg... comp kinda thing... around 20 or so, but i could really see this getting big maybe not when we do it but if enough of the right people see it i could see a real comp going there and i would not want to piss the city off and have them ban us or any of the others there

I'd have to say a combination of John's comment and Dewey's comment are on target....
How about agreeing on a preliminary gtg date (pre-planning if you will). A hand full of people (or whoever shows) can decide the who/what/when/where's of it.
The worst that can happen is people get some rock time, place faces with screen names, have a good time, and organize things a bit.
My .02
WarMachine is offline   Reply With Quote