Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Kansas

Notices

Thread: Kansas Krawling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Kansas Krawling?

Just glancing around in this section for a few minutes, seems like a lot of people are kinda close to Manhattan/Salina area-ish, and a lot of people are limited on how far they'd drive on a semi regular basis. I'm in Topeka and feel the same way.

So how about a once, or twice, a year get together somewhere? I wouldn't mind driving 2-3 hours a couple times a year. I'm thinking just something like a trail run, no serious competitions or anything unless people wanted to. Just a "meet" type thiing. The screenname is blank to me right now, but one person was recently talking about a bbq/trail run at Coronado Heights, I'm thinking something along these lines would be fun. I think it would be nice to have it a little more west, seems like everyone out there kinda gets left out thanks to KC.

I only know of 2 other people here in Topeka with crawlers, both with Losi MRC's (mine is an MRC as well) and one of them also has an Axial AX-10 I believe...or a Venom Creeper...can't remember; they're all modified. I know atleast one of them would be interested, and possibly the other.

Let me know what you all think. I don't really know of any place to crawl here in Topeka except the LHS, whose track is kinda small, and some small random areas. Shoot up with any idea's or suggestions

Last edited by nosfanatic2006; 07-22-2010 at 11:11 PM.
nosfanatic2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Your thinking of Greg a.k.a Grob23 that was talking about Coronado Heights last weekend. I'm not sure yet but I have a feeling that some people may be going out there this weekend as well. If my batteries make it in this evening for the crawler I may be out there as well. I haven't been before but they talk like its really nice and I wouldn't mind heading up that way for an afternoon of crawling and getting to know some more of the Kansas guys. Lemme know if you are interested in meeting up some time and we will try to get something worked out for a weekend g2g thats centrally located. I live in newton and I know there are some from around derby and wichita too so McPherson is about as central as I think we can get between all of us.

~Tyler~
T_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I'm in Salina. Budleyh is in Topeka. I was just hanging out with him yesterday. He's helping me with my scaler build. He's a pretty good guy.

Last week end at Coronado was fun. We just messed around, nothing formal. Only 3 people showed up, Greg, myself and Seabeejeep (Colby). KSCrawler (Billy) usually tries to show up but he's been workin' hella hours this summer so he's been pretty busy lately. I think everyone had a blast last weekend. We all got some sun. I ended up with blisters on the back of my neck, lol. The ONLY shade up there is the Fort and an outpost type thing on the north side of the hill. Other than that, bring sun screen and lots of it.

I would not be opposed to driving a little ways to a gtg once or twice a year either. Beats staying at home like a hermit or a poke in the eye with a stick.

Just lmk what's going on. Send me a pm sometime.
Hotrodblder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:31 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Well Ive got a good place.
Its Kansas Rocks Rec Park. Just out side Fort Scott Ks.
None of the KC people ever check it out and it seems that im the only one that wheels it with an RC.
But im on the Board of Directors for the park. Theres lots of shaded trails that are great for RC's.
Its not flat and it does have rocks and ledges.
Burntnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntnuts View Post
Well Ive got a good place.
Its Kansas Rocks Rec Park. Just out side Fort Scott Ks.
None of the KC people ever check it out and it seems that im the only one that wheels it with an RC.
But im on the Board of Directors for the park. Theres lots of shaded trails that are great for RC's.
Its not flat and it does have rocks and ledges.
Hey now that kinda sounds like a nice place to go. If its got assorted areas as for scalers, 2.2 and supers that would be an idealistic place to go. I imagine we could figure out some sort of car(truck) pool system that way not everyone has to drive and I think it would make for a great day.

I'm interested if you can tell us a little more about it.

~Tyler~
T_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:38 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Well lets see....
It has a man made rock corse for 1:1 that is chalk full of lines for scale 2.2 1.9 and supers. There are around 45 miles of trails in 240 acers. Some of the best trails are with in walking distince of the office and parking area. There are trails with ledges, stream beds and so on.
The Website has a few good pics and you can even see some on youtube.
Just look for KRRP in your serch. There are picnic shelters with grills and benches.
Check it out and let me know what you think.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:56 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Sounds like we've got a few people interested atleast, and a few suggested places for crawling.

I was in Colorado last week and met up with my old best friend from like 4th grade. He has an MRC as well and we found some wicked nice crawling areas up in the mountains. That was my first real crawling experience. All Topeka has offered me is mud ruts and firewood lol.

When do you guys think would be a good time to set something up? How much notice would people need?
Old 07-25-2010, 06:09 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Well I should be up for this coming sunday the 1st of aug.
As for sat the 31st july thats up in the air.
The folowing weekend im out. A weeks notice is more than enoughf for me.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:11 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

I'm busy this weekend but I think I'm free most weekends after that
Old 08-13-2010, 10:11 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I always go to kansas rocks recreation park. Its my dad and i favorite place to go for trial riding. I like carnage canyon, rust bucket and zuk's squeeze i like to go to those spots to crawl.
Hydro-Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:28 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosfanatic2006 View Post
I was in Colorado last week and met up with my old best friend from like 4th grade. He has an MRC as well and we found some wicked nice crawling areas up in the mountains. That was my first real crawling experience. All Topeka has offered me is mud ruts and firewood lol.
New guy here, getting my Micro rock crawler this week at Dee & Mee's, and know of SEVERAL very nice spots inside of the city limits here in Topeka..

Not sure what kinda of rig you run, but some of the places I know would work very well for 10th or 18th scale as well.. Actually, they may be to tough for the 24th scale lol.. But it's all I can afford right now, and all I already have the basic gear to support as far as batteries etc..

Regardless, I plan on hitting several spots a week out of boredom and more on the weekends weather permitting, maybe I could show ya my "spots"

I find them all over the place, just keep my eyes open.. and go off the beaten trail sometimes lol..

~Kev
Darksiede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I'm quite late to this thread, but it sure is nice to see more interest here in Kansas!

I wouldn't be opposed to driving to meet up and crawl, but a vehicle could be an issue... but if anything, I'll just hitch a ride...

I pretty much stepped out of the realm of comp crawlers... for good this time... I wanna finish my scaler(s)

Awesome sounding places to crawl! Coronado is all that I could personally find, and I know it's not exaclty ideal... I'd love to see what you're describing!

As always, I'm eager to hear people's thoughts. PM me if ya wanna talk a little more personally or seriously... OR, if ya need any 2.2 Shafty parts!
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:13 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I'm going down to get my losi tomorrow.. really really gunning for the mini rock crawler.. but if funds only allow a micro, so be it.. I'd prefer the Mini though, just because at its size, it can handle more of the spots I have found to crawl in, the micro would fall in some cracks and vanish!

In my work, I constantly travel I-70, sometimes as far west as Salina, and clear into Missouri on occasion. I also end up going down to Ottawa & Emporia and up near the Nebraska state line on a fairly regular basis. I have GPS and Xmradio in my work van, as well as a mobile charging setup and storage space for whatever I end up getting so I can crawl on the clock. As I drive around I constantly scan the scenery looking for crawling spots, and tag them on my GPS unit. Once I get my setup all going, I can pull up a crawling spots list, and hit the nearest one when I have dead time between appointments. My current list has a ton of spots on it, near Lake Perry, around Lawrence- which is loaded with spots, Manhattan- again, loaded, and all around the NEK area..

At my house I wont be able to set up a very big rock garden, but have a few spots within walking distance I can go crawling.. Topeka itself is pretty loaded actually, since we have a fair amount of parks. I know of about 10 spots alone along the shunga trail, but off the paved walking path a few hundred yards. There's a creek that runs near the trail and it is abso-freaking-lutely packed with some awesome spots. One even has parking within 10 feet of it, but it is totally hidden unless you know where to look... It's a BIG spot with tons of rocks and chunks of concrete.. Looks like it'd be a blast to crawl! Also, a big portion of this spot is lit up decently, and could be night crawled..

Eventually I will have a crawler & a scaler.. I am definitely interested in going scaling as well, just going to be as funds permit- the economy aint what it used to be!

Grob, where are you located? I could possibly swing by at times and take ya out for crawls..

~Kev

Last edited by Darksiede; 09-09-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:38 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I'm in McPherson... It's along I-70, a bit north of Newton, but south of Salina...
Old 09-10-2010, 11:17 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I get out that way on occasion, though its a rare one to go past Salina honestly..

I did get my MRC today! I woulda posted 8 hours ago, but yeh.. been playing lol.. Started out and changed the plug to a deans, so I could run my multiple 2s lipos, and hit the yard for a test drive. It immediately puked the front driveshaft off, to be lost in the grass. The pin in the front U-join came out!

I called Horizon Hobbies after my LHS told me they had none in stock. HH hooked me up with a new set of driveshafts that will get sent out on Monday.

I spent 5! hours in the yard on my knees.. and finally found the friggin shaft.. A piece of bent paper clip to hold it all together again and I was back in business. Blew my budget getting the setup, but down the road I plan on going the scale route with one of the many frame kits out there.

I just gotta find something.. Interesting in the wheelbase range I'll have to play with once I choose my frame.. Can't wait!

~Kev
Old 09-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I want an MRC pretty bad... it'd be cool to sell all my 2.2 stuff and magically get one...
Old 09-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

dang being a little rude to the kc guys huh? LOL I can't believe there arent any places to run in topeka. I used to live in wichita and there is some sort of water generally pretty close to everything in kansas. and where ther is water there are trails and rocks. if you dont mind driving a few hours then that puts you in kc easily. I am new to this and speaking out of turn but it would be cool if once a year the two states got together and held an event. anything west of emporia is probably to far but you get the general idea. flip flop it every year and get some sort of bragging rights trophy. I think KC is more closer in personality and interests than it's sister city to the east. no offense STL. just a thought.
ctracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:15 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

I keep forgetting to check this thread lol . Its nice to see a fellow Topeka MRCer! I'm MRC is currently just sitting since its reciever is in my SCT at the moment. I'll be getting a second reciever in the near future though if we can figure something out