Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Kansas

Notices

Thread: My list of spots in NE Kansas..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Lightbulb Compiled list of spots in NE Kansas..

In my job, I travel on a regular basis as far west as Salina, into KC, Mo on the east end, up into Southern Nebraska, and as far south as Ottawa & Emporia..
To say I cover a large (1/4) portion of the state would be pretty accurate.

Between my appointments I have time on a near daily basis, anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours.. Now that I have my Mini rock crawler, I have plenty of time to do a session if & when spots are nearby.

I travel with GPS (and XMradio ) and before I even got my MRC I was spotting and mapping crawling spots into my GPS so I can easily locate the nearest spots to crawl on the clock! I have many spots that are not mapped, and as I pass them I will save the location into my list.. I will add to this list as I find more spots.

Each location will give as accurate as I can, a location and brief description, including things such as night lighting, nearest parking, Google earth links, Pictures & etc.
Some spots will be updated on the next visit, cellphone pics, GPS tag so I can give specific directions, and if I can figure it out google earth KML tags..

Feel free to contribute, the more info & spots the better!

Google map of crawling spots:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...cdd109eb5a4f93

Spots: (Clicky these!)

Lawrence Area spots

Topeka Area spots

Manhattan area spots

Last edited by Darksiede; 09-24-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Darksiede is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Lawrence area spots:

Wells Overlook county park- Area: South of Lawrence, Ks. Access: Public park, hours 6am-10pm, Grade: Superb
Directions:
2.4 miles south of Iowa st. & 59 Hwy intersection, Left (east) on 1000 road, 3/4 of a mile, turn right (south) into park entrance road, follow road to top & parking area.

Description: Several trails, varying in length up to 200+ yards long, 10-15 foot wide. Trails run from top of hill down, 2 intersect. Rock sizes vary from 2-3 inches up to 2-3 feet in places. They are rocked drainage channels. There is no undergrowth near trails, area is mowed. Hill is about 200-300 foot tall.

Last edited by Darksiede; 09-13-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default Topeka area spots:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Along the Shunga trail, between Burlingame & Fairlawn.. South side of trail has several offshoot footpaths & bike paths.. Many lead clear to the Shunga creek with excellent shoreline crawling areas, BMX dirt jump trail section also has excellent crawling, will get GPS tag & pics next visit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kansas River coffer dam-
Area: North Topeka, Ks
Access: Public boat ramp area, Hours: 24/7 (I think)
Notes: Newly redone, 2 boat ramps, eventually will have parking area lit,
Grade: Superb

Directions:
From 75 Highway & Lower Silver Lake Road go east 3/4 mile
Turn Right (south) on NW SALINE ST - .30 miles
Turn Left (east) on NW 14TH ST - .2 mile
Turn Right (south) on dirt road- follow across levee heading east, then turn south down river side of levee into parking area.

Description:
Lots of crawling areas, trails head east to an inlet on the river, offering trail runs. Rock sizes from 1-2 inches, to 5+ foot, slab sizes are 12 inches thick, 3-6 foot wide, 6-10 foot long.

Pics:
Downstream (east) boat ramp:

Looking west from downstream boat ramp:

West of the upstream boat ramp:

Upstream (West) boat ramp:

Looking east across both ramps:

Last edited by Darksiede; 09-16-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

also if you go to the kansas city section on this site there are a few places mentioned there that when you are in this area you can have fun.
ctracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctracy View Post
also if you go to the kansas city section on this site there are a few places mentioned there that when you are in this area you can have fun.
Sweet.. Ill check into that too!
Old 09-13-2010, 06:21 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Default Manhattan Area spots

Along the lake dam park area, where country stampede is held, the spillway & backside of the dam offer many crawling spots & trails.

Last edited by Darksiede; 09-13-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:22 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

those place look sweet man. open to public?
ctracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:33 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctracy View Post
those place look sweet man. open to public?
Yep, 6am - 10pm daily.. its a county park, gated & locked at night... It also has a 100' tall lookout tower on top of the hill (mountain?).. It's a really really nice spot I found today for crawling!

~Kev
Old 09-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Updated the Topeka area post, with pics of the Public access ramps on the Kansas river.

~Kev
Old 09-20-2010, 06:34 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Thumbs up crawling in Topeka

yeah i have found a few good place theres a dry creek bed over in shawnee lake and then the always ever present damn on the north sidw. i live very close to the lake and it is pretty good. been over on the damn bout 5 times with some of the guys ihave biult rigs for.

brad hughes
crawler shed
785-422-0987
budleyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:21 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Looks like a nice area at the Kansas River! I've often thought about going to Shawnee to crawl, but I've never noticed any place other than the damn area. I noticed the other day that Dee and Mee is taking down their crawler course :(; I never did get to run there against Steve :(

I think we should definitely set something up guys
nosfanatic2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:57 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Updated post #1, with a new google map pinpointing the main spots, it will be kept up to date along with the picture posts in this thread.

Yeh, Dee & Mee taking their course down is a bummer.. The lake has a large area on the dam, but I'd be more interested in the spillway area at the NW corner of the park, right at the intersection of 29th & west edge rd. Looks like it could be an awesome spot..

~Kev