Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Kyosho Crawlers

Notices

Thread: RF to TCS chassis proto tester

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default RF to TCS chassis proto tester

TCS has got good delivery, stuff always come in fast so i got surprised to see this chassis in the mailbox.
its delrin shiny on both sides comes with plastic panels to paint, the quality is right on, think the guy who produces it is from germany. ive been keeping my RF under wraps waiting to change the chassis and the price on this puts it right there. looks like i will need additional chassis post or i may not depends on how it comes out after the transfusion of sorts.

JOOTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Looks good. Was thinking of picking up that chassis myself. Keep us posted on progress and give a full review of the chassis when you get it out on the rocks
HiloDB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDB1 View Post
Looks good. Was thinking of picking up that chassis myself. Keep us posted on progress and give a full review of the chassis when you get it out on the rocks
fosho soon as i can
Old 04-01-2009, 09:17 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

thats cool it comes with the panels,,,
dezmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:37 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Ah thanks, but you have to change the title of your posting ...

I only did the CAD-drawing of this chassis. It is produced by the crawlerstore! Made in the USA. Without the help of Kevin this would not have been possible. I dont have the machinery to make chassis. So the credits go the TCS, not me. I only had the idea and did the geometry changes to it

Also, this is a proto, I hope if this work it could be made out of black anodized aluminium. I had no problems with the delrin, its light and did took lots of abuse while I was in the rocks.

Some words about the kyosho:

I was sitting there and was wondering why kyosho did it a different way, why not use a chassis like my bender SW3, much shorter and lay down shocks etc. After a while I found out how things went together at Kyosho.

The main question was: 4-Link or panhard ? I found out, that in my opinion the main reason for the panhard was, that you can lay down the battery behind he servo, real low and you have lots of room. You will loose that with a 4-Link setup.

THIS will also need a very wide chassis (80mm), so you cannot get the front shocks mounted in a low angle, because the tires will contact them while steering.

This was the reason for me to stick to the original concept of the panhard and the upright front shocks.

I just tweaked the chassis-geometry for better performance: The front shocks could be mounted a bit more backwards, for a lower, softer ride. Also, the rear shocks were moved a bit forward for a softer ride.

But the main thing was to move the rear linkmount so much to the back, that you get a comp legal whellbase with the stock links. The longer wheelbase changed the climbing abilities dramaticly on my kyosho. I was suddenly able to keep up with my buddies on their comp crawlers.

So much from me, now I want to see a nice build thread !

Pete

Sorry for my english, I am from germany....
greasypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasypete View Post
Ah thanks, but you have to change the title of your posting ...

I only did the CAD-drawing of this chassis. It is produced by the crawlerstore! Made in the USA. Without the help of Kevin this would not have been possible. I dont have the machinery to make chassis. So the credits go the TCS, not me. I only had the idea and did the geometry changes to it

Also, this is a proto, I hope if this work it could be made out of black anodized aluminium. I had no problems with the delrin, its light and did took lots of abuse while I was in the rocks.

Some words about the kyosho:

I was sitting there and was wondering why kyosho did it a different way, why not use a chassis like my bender SW3, much shorter and lay down shocks etc. After a while I found out how things went together at Kyosho.

The main question was: 4-Link or panhard ? I found out, that in my opinion the main reason for the panhard was, that you can lay down the battery behind he servo, real low and you have lots of room. You will loose that with a 4-Link setup.

THIS will also need a very wide chassis (80mm), so you cannot get the front shocks mounted in a low angle, because the tires will contact them while steering.

This was the reason for me to stick to the original concept of the panhard and the upright front shocks.

I just tweaked the chassis-geometry for better performance: The front shocks could be mounted a bit more backwards, for a lower, softer ride. Also, the rear shocks were moved a bit forward for a softer ride.

But the main thing was to move the rear linkmount so much to the back, that you get a comp legal whellbase with the stock links. The longer wheelbase changed the climbing abilities dramaticly on my kyosho. I was suddenly able to keep up with my buddies on their comp crawlers.

So much from me, now I want to see a nice build thread !

Pete

Sorry for my english, I am from germany....
cant change the title chief but everybody here now aware of this chassis background.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:54 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Default Transfusion 8)

thought to start with the measuring tape to see height and wheelbase for comparison. i will not use the plastic sideplates reason youll see later. this chassis is lighter and shorter lengthwise from the stock, weight savings and transfusion was a breeze.

one good use for the sideplates

Last edited by JOOTZ; 04-02-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:00 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Default comparo

like i said putting it back together was a breeze since there was no need to enlarge the holes nor were they off.

i undid the DK mod for the rear and used nylon spacers to push my wheelbase to were it was before and clocked the back axle properly.

Last edited by JOOTZ; 04-02-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:04 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Default chassis on

so after a half hour +/- here it is...

Old 04-02-2009, 11:13 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Default body&flex

the stock body will have to be cut to put it on so its staying off. any body will work on this as long as its a bug. i like how it looks like there is a rollcage in there. a little creativity is needed to use other bodies on it but thats beside the point.
the chassis takes off a lot of mass from the stocker, weight that could be put on the wheels.
i used to stumble putting the pinion on the motor before so i decided not to use the sideplates as it will cover an access to the pinion on the side.
overall i like this chassis and for the price i got it its all good if it bombs after some rock testing but i highly doubt it.
great idea Peter

Last edited by JOOTZ; 04-02-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:55 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

So compared to you Axial witch truck would you use in your gun fight (comp)

I just don't see the great improvement in this chassis but I could be blind. Also any thing is better than stock
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by saydee1800 View Post
So compared to you Axial witch truck would you use in your gun fight (comp)

I just don't see the great improvement in this chassis but I could be blind. Also any thing is better than stock
my axial is staying on trailriding duty or the edge chassis if they remember to produce the lexan panels or may be sold as i get bored and impatient which is now.
i notice your thing with this chassis which nobody is forcing on nobody.
the weight savings and the mass from the stocker to this is what i gained so far add to that i retained a 12.5" wheelbase by just using spacers on the rear. i havent tried playing with the shock and link mount locations yet since i have to put the electronics back as you noticed the rig is bare
Old 04-02-2009, 07:20 PM   #13
RCC Addict

now we guys just need a way to triangulate the lower links. and we'll be set.
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:39 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOOTZ View Post
my axial is staying on trailriding duty or the edge chassis if they remember to produce the lexan panels or may be sold as i get bored and impatient which is now.
i notice your thing with this chassis which nobody is forcing on nobody.
the weight savings and the mass from the stocker to this is what i gained so far add to that i retained a 12.5" wheelbase by just using spacers on the rear. i havent tried playing with the shock and link mount locations yet since i have to put the electronics back as you noticed the rig is bare
I am not picking on this chassis I really hope that it works out I may get it my self (the price is right)

please let us all know how it crawls
Old 04-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #15
RCC Addict

^^^ been cloudy all day here and now some sprinkles but soon as i get it on the rocks im gonna post-up bro
Old 04-03-2009, 12:35 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

look forward to hearing how it works..ordered mine last night after reading petes post explaing the design..price was right too
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:05 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

You need to get the delrin plate from RC CRawlers that stock alum.
Just drags on the rocks
Old 04-03-2009, 12:57 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonclod View Post
look forward to hearing how it works..ordered mine last night after reading petes post explaing the design..price was right too
the price was right on for what you get on this, i didnt need to fab chassis post just used the stockers on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saydee1800 View Post
You need to get the delrin plate from RC CRawlers that stock alum.
Just drags on the rocks
was thinking bout that but i wasnt sure how all this goes together, i got UHMW on the skids so its good.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:35 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Default done

dont have time to get out to the park so some poser shots in the backyard for now, no weight in the wheels and the wheels are temps for now. removed the dig,,, just wanted to finish it and get going.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:37 PM   #20
RCC Addict