Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Kyosho Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Axle width

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2006, 06:33 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Axle width

I probably shouldnt have started a new tread for this, but i was wondering what the axles with is for the twin force, and the x factor.
James Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2006, 06:59 PM   #2

King pin to King pin

Twin force : 25cm

X-Factor : 29.5cm

_bR3T7
clodbrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 07:02 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the reply. I have one last question. Which one is usually cheaper?
Old 02-20-2006, 11:01 PM   #4

Well, first off, the twin force isn't ready to run new, and the x-factor is only sold RTR new. So if you are going to buy new, the twin force is a better base crawler IMO. The X-factor is pretty sweet too, but nitro, and will need to be converted to electricity, and a different chassis/tranny to be effective. So IMO once again, the twin force is abetter base crawler.

_bR3T7
Old 02-21-2006, 11:26 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Cool

Pro and cons on the two axles:

The Twin has stock those cheesy alu ring an pinion, and two alu pinions inside the diffs. They can be upgraded to steel ring and pinion, cheaper helical gears from the RTR Nitro version, and more expensive straight gears from MP7.5
The diff can be upgraded to cross pin and 4 pinions inside, further upgraded to steel 4 pinions using HPI Savage ones (perfectly interchangeable). Seal works well and hard silicon fluids can be used.
There's a very effective LSD diff, full steel gears, again from MP7.5
There are at least two spool options, one is the drop-in spool made from Maximizer Products (art.MPI 2352) the other is a full metal spool made from RCAlloys.
Also from RCAlloys there are super beefy 304 stainless steel 8mm dogbones, really bulletproof.
Twin hubs can accept both stock wheelshafts or Savage ones, and come stock with a 14mm alu hex (that can use any offset Maxx style wheel) and a plastic adapter to hex 19mm for Kyosho wheels.
The axle case is strong but really tightly wrapped around the diff, so that the appearance is less bulky and with a better ground clearance under the diff.
The axletubes are round, and require some inventive to create a good strong link support, but ScaleHobbies is in the process of marketing a nice ones.

The X-Factor axles have nowhere near as many options, but come stock with steel ring and pinion, straight cut gears.
Diff uses 6 cylindrical gears inside instead of the common bevels, and they are steel too. It has seals so it's possible to fill the diff with silicon fluids.
There are no factory or aftermarket spools to my knowledge, so if you don't have a lathe your only option is good ol' JB Weld. And personally I suggest to stay with it or with top brand metal epoxies, as the small steel gears inside the diff exert a lot of stress on the glue and can shred lesser ones.
Shafts inside the axle tubes are connected to diff outputs by steel sleeves with dual grub screws, that are known to work themselves loose, so don't be scared to use red loctite here.
Bearings and shafts inside the hubs are 8mm, just like the Twin, but shafts are not directly interchangeable.
Wheels fit directly on Tee pins, and require a hex adapter from RC4WD to use Maxx style wheels.
The axle case is a big square block around the diff, strong, but at the expense of some ground clearance.
They comes stock with 4-link suspension (over the diff dual mounting points for upper triangulation) and due to design of case it's far easier mounting links on multiple positions.

Both axles have input pinion shaft 8mm, but with a little ingenuity Revo driveshafts have been succesfully modified for both.

RC4WD, thought not cheap, lists steel-slider driveshafts for both axles.

Whichever you choose, have fun!

Rockspider
rockspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:57 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I was looking on ebay, and found a few things, and i think this might be the best deal. Does anyone think this is a good price, and is it the entire axle front and rear? http://cgi.ebay.com/XTM-X-FACTOR-2-G...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 02-21-2006, 03:07 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Also is it possible to shorten the axle?
Old 02-21-2006, 05:24 PM   #8

I would enquire and get it in writing that the auction is for 2 axles, with diffs.. and if it is, thats a great deal good axles for a custom built crawler.

_bR3T7
Old 02-21-2006, 05:30 PM   #9

Yeah, you can buy all that crap, or bootie-fab it yourself for a fraction of the price just because you don't have a CNC machine doesn't mean you can't make a ton of upgrades yourself Theres a couple of real cool custom x-factors on the global hobbies forum, check that place too. I personally enjoy my X-factor too much as a Nitro beast to crawl it out. The twin-force was aquired from my old roommate, so It was easy to chop it up for crawling duties.

_bR3T7
Old 02-22-2006, 08:11 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

That ebay offer is for a single axle, not both!
And as it says it's all what you see in picture, means it's without hubs and halfshafts too!

As for the other question, it's not easy at all to shorten an X-Factor axle.
A Twin axle can be easily shortened on the long tube side, making it a centered diff design, and using on both sides the same short shaft.
Don't have a measure here but it will be about a full inch shorter.
rockspider is offline   Reply With Quote