Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Kyosho Crawlers

Notices

Thread: I won it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Sorry been insanely busy lately. Just found this post. Glad you picked the TF board. You will definitely need to have it in hand to figure out your rig. Revo shafts are the best for these axles. You can make them any length you want. Unless you are planning on going fast. Then you can run Buggy or Truggy shafts. You need to decide if you're going to go Super or 2.2. If you go Super the Rox Loks are not the right choice. They are HUGE. If you plan on comping look into some custom made Pitbulls or Sedonas. Even the Plowboys still work well. 2.2 you can't go wrong with Sedonas. I would run an Axial trany with metal gears and Super Shafty 8mm outputs. Servo's it's entirely up to you how much you want to spend. I personally run Hitec. I love my HH Cobalt puller motors. Insane power, butter smooth control, and oh the wheel speed. Wish John would handle them again.

Keep reading and studying. What you come up with will be worth it when finished. They are never finished though by the way.
Bart bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Im 38yr's old and feel like a kid in a candy store. I cant stop looking and my wife thinks Im crazzy. lol I havent bought anything yet but thought I would post some ideas I had. I saw a fully built axial trany somewhere for $61 and thought that seem's to be a good price but cant find it again. I really want to go super rock racer and kinda have more of a scale look as for as tires. I have looked for tire options but having never owned anything 40 series its hard to get an idea how big they are. Alot of the tire size listings dont compair them to anything. If anyone can come up with pics of tires next to some 2.2's that would help. I really think I need to come up with the tires I want before anything else so I can build the rest strong enough to handle them.

As for going to comps. I have only gone to watch and have never competed. Well I never thought I could aford a super, and my ax-10 just hangs on the trails with my daughter and father inlaw with there scx-10's. I think my biggest problems with comps is the rule's over step the fun. I go out and run trails, crawl around the river's and such where you have ton's of different terain.

If I went 2.2 with this rig is it posible to go TTC or KOH. I havent seen a super class for these style comps.

So my big ? is tires. Any pics of comparison would be great.

thanks for all the input
buggynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

I too am 38 and my wife appreciates this fairly inexpensive hobby, compared to my 1:1 Jeep.

As far as Super tires, they are usually in the 7" area.
These are the Rox Loks next to my Moab XLs

These are 2.2 Chisels next to my XLs
Old 08-13-2011, 11:50 AM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart bender View Post
I too am 38 and my wife appreciates this fairly inexpensive hobby, compared to my 1:1 Jeep.

As far as Super tires, they are usually in the 7" area.
These are the Rox Loks next to my Moab XLs

These are 2.2 Chisels next to my XLs
can you put those next to a beer can? or pop can lol so I can get a better idea.. I havent owned many crawler tires so its hard for me to tell. thanks for the pics
Old 08-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Is this the axial trany that you all would recomend? Is it built enough or would you all recomend building one if I chose to go this route.

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/ax10-ful...on-p-3725.html
Old 08-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Sure thing

Can you see my theme
Old 08-13-2011, 12:37 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggynutt View Post
Is this the axial trany that you all would recomend? Is it built enough or would you all recomend building one if I chose to go this route.

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/ax10-ful...on-p-3725.html
There's an option I've never seen. Really good price too. Only problem I see is the stock outputs. If you run revo shafts you will want to drill them out and go with 8mm to match the pinion shafts. In that case the VP case or HR or what ever with metal gears and Super Shafty outputs would be the most ideal.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:59 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Those roc lol's are huge.... Im thinking WOW.. and you have a nice matching set there. I had to get rid of my 1:1 jeep because the city wanted to fine me $1000 for having a project with no plates sitting in my driveway. It sucked but I will get another. Im tryin to get my brothers scrambler with 38" of rubber and locked and lifted for crawlin. but I will have to get it to pass emissions first. Also sucks.

Thanks for the pics
Old 08-13-2011, 01:32 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

here are some pic's of my VP Axial trans with Hardened aluminum gears
8mm Outputs, BWD Extreme Motor Plate and a T8 1900KV mounted to a custom Skid......

Rick
v84x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Rick dont tease me! Sure you dont want to send me one of those setups.. lol I will use it well.. lol
Old 08-13-2011, 03:21 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

1900KV You running 3S? Chit man I'm running a 1700KV in my buggy on 4S. That thing is gonna be INSANE

Back on subject. Sky's the limit. And theres one thing you won't have to worry about for sure. That's, the axles can take it.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggynutt View Post
Rick dont tease me! Sure you dont want to send me one of those setups.. lol I will use it well.. lol
LOL........
not teasing you , just showing you some options !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart bender View Post
1900KV You running 3S? Chit man I'm running a 1700KV in my buggy on 4S. That thing is gonna be INSANE

Back on subject. Sky's the limit. And theres one thing you won't have to worry about for sure. That's, the axles can take it.

I will first go with 3S but Like "buggy" 6S sounds so much more fun

Rick
Old 08-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #33
RCC Addict

Location: NHFF world headquarters, working on the "rock mauling hill shooting NHFF pig squealing death rocket"

congrats on the win manjust do this, ask your self one thing, what do you want to build? because thats the greatest thing about these axles, they work great with anything. they are so easy to make any length you want, and place the chunk about anywhere you need it to be. dont think you have to rush into building this thing. just do some looking around at what you think is the coolest rig and build it. i guarantee these axles will fit the bill and be stronger. again, congrats on the win and welcome to the other side
buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:31 AM   #34
RCC Addict

I have been contacted by a guy who has a set of roc lok's with wheels he wants to sell me. what is a good used price for them? $100+ shipping. Im still thinking that the mud slinger look to be what I want but if this is a really good price I think it might be a good starting point to get some rubber on the ground.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #35
Nobody

that's a normal price for good condition 40 series lox with cheap plastic cheyenne or axial type bead locks.

I'm not sure the big lox won't look kinda funny on something with less than an 18" wheelbase, but that may be just me.

Look forward to your build. I'm about to start a sweet alum chassis TF BYB build.
Cordwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Hollllly CRAPers These axles are friggin huge...no wonder they are tough... Can you tell my stuff just got here... OMG Im glad you all told me to wait to but stuff.. I think I wet myself. YEP.. anyways I got to go back to work so I can get some cash to put this together.. Thanks rick..I didnt get to look much but when I get home I will have plenty of time to ignore my wife..lol I will shot some pics and drool later.. I cant even begin to think of what this is really going to become now..

Did I say Thanks
Old 08-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Well Shucks !!!!!

I didnt meen for you to "Wet yourself" ......

Glad you like them
Dont forget to give thanks to "Adam" over at AB Design
For that Kick A$$ Chassis too !!!!!

Let the Build Begin !!!!!

Rick
Old 08-15-2011, 06:32 PM   #38
RCC Addict

Ok so I got this box today and its got parts...BIG parts.. I was in shock, and until I saw them I just was thinking there larger that what I had in the ax-10.. Well I was wrong, these are even bigger that I was thinking. I truly had no idea that Big ment huge. Anyways.. I got home from work to really look at everything and Im still in shock. I just dumped the box out on the floor to see what I had.. AND Yes I made those vrrooommmm noises as I picked up the axles and turned them. STOP laughin at me...you do it to. Ok I got up to grab the cam to get some pics and the wife took it with her.. eeerrrrr.. ok you dont get to see the pile of parts but hey, I do..lol So what to do now...look deep into the box and see if Im missing anything. Nope nothing in there.. HHHmmmmm Where are the directions??? UUmmmm well I guess this really is going to be a one off build. Back to staring at the parts... Still cant find directions.. lol just thought to myself I truly have my first real build on my hands. Well I will just say it..Im in over my head and I need to read a hell of alot more threads to get it all going. Ok you all knew this is what was going to happen, you said wait on buyin parts, and know I know why...OPTIONS, I can do what ever I want and all the other ideas I had are just gone. So im slowing down and getting my thoughts gatherd back up.

I will post again later tonight with something. Pics, ?s, something.

P.S. I need to name this thing. That might be my next post

Thanks again rick and adam for making a dream come true. I get to play with the bigboys.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:43 PM   #39
Pebble Pounder

I got a pede tranny with metal gears and locked diff in my super shafty-never broken anything on it. I run a 10t puller on 4s. I run maxx axles and the motor chewed up the ring and pinion! The trannys are cheap too cuz not too many people use em. I use the older style tmaxx shafts reinforced a little and have no trouble either with those. Only problem is no dig is available 4 the pede so I made my own and it works. So its prob just worth using a axial honestly cuz u can buy a dig 4 it. I would go with cutnshuts for tires and have em at least 8" tall.
White Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:39 PM   #40
TEAM MODERATOR

Congrats on winning those axles and the chassis. I'm hoping to build another Force axled truck one day, just ain't got the time right now. These axles are fun to build with. They are different so you get away from the "cookie cutter" stuff you see so much of.

I'd highly recommend like others and build a beefcake Axial tranny. You can run it as is or add a VP dig. Stock plastic cases always worked well for me, the aluminum cases are blingy though. You'll need at least a 6mm output in the tranny if you want beef. To me, 6mm outputs are plenty. I've got some 6mm stainless steel outputs and a couple sets of 6mm cromo outputs, I've run some big motors in heavy trucks (knocking on the 18 pound mark) with these and never had an issue. 8mm outputs are super beefy.

A good slipper clutch is a good option. I never ran one, but kept a pocket full of spur gears handy. Usually burnt 2 or 3 spurs up at every comp. The way I seen it, spurs are typically easy to repair on coarse and they are dirt cheap, so they made a good "fuse" in the drivetrain.

Driveshafts are easy. Revo's no question. They come factory with a 6mm hole with 2 flats on the ID. Your pinion shafts on the axles are 8mm, outputs on the tranny will either be 6 or 8mm. I always just drilled the yokes out according to where they were going, either 6 or 8mm. Install and use either a pin or bolt to attach them to the outputs/ pinion shafts. With the yokes having flats in the ID, it can be a little tricky to drill them straight sometimes. I've had fairly decent luck using a regular drill bit, but have killed a few since the flats will pull the drill sideways. Last few yokes I made, I put them on the lathe and bored them out with a tiny boring bar. Ended up allot straighter. If you'd like, send me yours and I'll do them for you.

Depending on weight and gearing, a 35-45t Holmes handwound would do pretty good. Those brushless motors look pretty sick though. I bet it'd be a beast running one of those. If you go brushed, hands down, a Holmes Hobbies BR-XL would be the ticket.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote