Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Kyosho Crawlers

Notices

Thread: BYB by MJDerstine (with good video)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #21
RCC Addict

the color looks good on it. sucks the shocks are to stiff, it look very cool having them the same color as the panels.

i think HPI has soft springs in orange.
joeyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2011, 06:35 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Does it flex ok with the springs removed? Kinda weird since the reds are supposed to be the soft ones.
Mazlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #23
SuperShafty.com

yeah, these are realy really hard for some reason. maybe i have hard oil in there too. what weight are you guys using?
mjderstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

MAN.....THAT LOOKS SWEET !!!!

How many holes are in the piston of the shock
If theres only 1 or 2 them either drill them bigger or add more

this will allow more oil to flow there for giving you softer shock (But less dampening)

Regard Rick
v84x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #25
SuperShafty.com

hey guys, i have video. lots, and pretty good stuff too, i am at my brothers in PA for the weekend, and won't be able to edit the video until i get home on sunday. but its some good stuff.

it really needs more shocks, and probably some weight on the wheels. and 3 cells will really bring it alive.

the pistondont have holes, they are brass and just have a flat spot on one side to let the oil through.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #26
Nobody

sweet, can't wait.

What length shocks are those? Stock TF? Maybe some used losi's would work good and can be had for 25-30 bucks.
Cordwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:26 PM   #27
SuperShafty.com

they are stock twin force shocks.

well, here is 12 minutes of video. i just parced it all together and left the sound of the motor and my brother and i talking about it.

hope you guys like it.

[youtube]vRLaVcNrqMc[/youtube]

Supershafty BYB with Twin Force axles by MJDerstine - YouTube

how do i embed a video on this site?

Last edited by mjderstine; 11-13-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjderstine View Post
they are stock twin force shocks.

well, here is 12 minutes of video. i just parced it all together and left the sound of the motor and my brother and i talking about it.

hope you guys like it.

[youtube]vRLaVcNrqMc[/youtube]

Supershafty BYB with Twin Force axles by MJDerstine - YouTube

how do i embed a video on this site?
Nice MJ

I love the "Red" theme........way cool

Need more wheel spin and softer shocks

Also those tires are meant for harder surfaces

Looks like you and your Bro had a good time

Can only "Embed" on cretin boards not the KYOSHO board
But if enough of us ask our moderator "Reflection"
He might be able to use his magic and get "Jason" or "666" to ad that option to this board
Send Reflection a PM and ask (All of us)

Regards Rick

Last edited by v84x4; 11-13-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
the piston dont have holes, they are brass and just have a flat spot on one side to let the oil through.
I took one apart an it has the flat spot but there's also three holes around the center piece too. I'm getting mine together an it doesn't want to flex much either. I think it's the stiffer spring + the shocks bring near vertical that's doing it.
Mazlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #30
SuperShafty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by v84x4 View Post
Nice MJ

I love the "Red" theme........way cool

Need more wheel spin and softer shocks

Also those tires are meant for harder surfaces

Looks like you and your Bro had a good time

Can only "Embed" on cretin boards not the KYOSHO board
But if enough of us ask our moderator "Reflection"
He might be able to use his magic and get "Jason" or "666" to ad that option to this board
Send Reflection a PM and ask (All of us)

Regards Rick

thanks man. i really like the looks.

yeah, now i need to get some sofer shocks, i already moved them around to try and lay them down, but still need different springs. more power, and find some more hills to play with.

was pretty impressed with the tires actually. they performed really well. the thing is pretty light and i think with a little weight on the wheels it would do fine. and that hill climbing stuff is on a really slippery and loose hill.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:43 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

You gonna make a hood/grill to match the stainless bikini top? That would be sharp. If you're gonna add weight do the knuckle weights or strap lead to the axle housings. If you go high HP you'll regret putting weight in the wheels. The shocks stock TF? Reds are the softest. Maybe some lighter oil and more holes in the pistons. Get that battery lower too. Even in the chassis or strapped to the upper links. Lookin good MJ
Bart bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:23 PM   #32
SuperShafty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart bender View Post
You gonna make a hood/grill to match the stainless bikini top? That would be sharp. If you're gonna add weight do the knuckle weights or strap lead to the axle housings. If you go high HP you'll regret putting weight in the wheels. The shocks stock TF? Reds are the softest. Maybe some lighter oil and more holes in the pistons. Get that battery lower too. Even in the chassis or strapped to the upper links. Lookin good MJ

yeah, it will have a SS hood, the hardware store was out of the stuff i got before. they just ahve it in a little bin that a vendor brings in so i dont know where to get more. just need about 8" worth. its about .02" thick. gotta find some online for cheap. i have a nice hood scoop to paint and put on the thing too.

i am gonna try to to fix the articulation by shock oil/angle, piston holes first. i dont think weight is a good idea now. HP will come, and i'd hate to have to buy a different set of tires just for that.

i will have a smaller 3 cell soon. just gotta find a nice tight spot for it.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #33
SuperShafty.com

ordered some rcm alloy revo yokes. the pastic ones kept stripping in that video. and since i cant drill through the strr pinion this is really my only option to make that part bomb proof.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:16 AM   #34
Rock Crawler

Quote:
ordered some rcm alloy revo yokes. the pastic ones kept stripping in that video. and since i cant drill through the strr pinion this is really my only option to make that part bomb proof.

If you send me your pinions
I will be more then happy to drill them for you MJ

Rick
Old 11-15-2011, 11:37 AM   #35
Nobody

Dont forget to drill a new set screw. I actually emailed Mike this morning to see if he could produce them already drilled 8mm through and with a lower set screw.
Cordwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #36
SuperShafty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by v84x4 View Post
If you send me your pinions
I will be more then happy to drill them for you MJ

Rick

i have tried many times with my drill press. and ruined many good drill bits doing it. they are molybdenum alloy, and from what i hear from Bart are undrillable. maybe if you have access to a machine shop...

but if you know something i don't about trying to drill these please let me know.

i know the stock ones can be drilled if you file the outter hard layer off (i have done this), but these STRR pinions are hard all the way through.

just spit balling my memories here because i know it seems like every couple months someone is asking about drilling the super hard molybdenum alloy pinions.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:50 AM   #37
SuperShafty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordwood View Post
Dont forget to drill a new set screw. I actually emailed Mike this morning to see if he could produce them already drilled 8mm through and with a lower set screw.

totally remember you talking about this. i have no issue drilling them to 8mm for the pinions. i have a nice vice for the drill press, (nice enough ) and drilling the set screw should be fine. i will drill and tape for 4mm on the other side of the stock one.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:26 PM   #38
SuperShafty.com

got the FXR installed with a 3 cell. Man this thing has some real power now. pops wheelies, drag break is so strong is seems like tis gonna break it.

pretty psyched about getting it back out now.

another thing. its got so much torque the new alloy yokes are a must, but since i cant drill through the pinions they slip slightly off. there is some slop between the yoke and the axle, where there shouldnt be because i took plenty of time to shim it correctly. the ring and pinion have get more and more backlash each time i punch the throttle. its gonna get to a point where it hurts itself.

guess i might send the pinions to you after all Rick. if you have a machinist that can drill them i would live it.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:42 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

Quote:
got the FXR installed with a 3 cell. Man this thing has some real power now. pops wheelies, drag break is so strong is seems like tis gonna break it.

pretty psyched about getting it back out now.

another thing. its got so much torque the new alloy yokes are a must, but since i cant drill through the pinions they slip slightly off. there is some slop between the yoke and the axle, where there shouldnt be because i took plenty of time to shim it correctly. the ring and pinion have get more and more backlash each time i punch the throttle. its gonna get to a point where it hurts itself.

guess i might send the pinions to you after all Rick. if you have a machinist that can drill them i would live it.
WOW....thats great MJ
Cant wait to see the new video

Sure send them to me any time buddy
also Im not sure on them yokes so you will have to somehow
mark where you need them drilled

Rick
Old 11-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #40
SuperShafty.com

thanks man. might be some time for video this time around. but i will get you some more. its got lots more power now. took it out behind my apartment. there is a small wooded area, and compared to two cells this thing hauls i am really stoked about this!

i need to get some smaller 3 cells lipos. the one i have is just a tad smaller than a normal stock pack, but taller. so it wont fit under the hood.

ordered some stainless steel for the hood. hopefulyl i get that this week.!! than this thing will finally be buttoned up.

with the pinions i guess i use em til i cant