Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Kyosho Crawlers

Notices

Thread: OS's Rock Force (Finished 2/27)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default OS's Rock Force (Finished 2/27)

(Insert Star Wars joke here)

Bought my first new Kyosho since Tower stopped carrying them back in the day! This rig got started with parts. I picked up a set of used RF axes and was impressed with the design and heft of the parts. After seeing the overall design of the rest of the kit and reading some of the build threads on here, I decided to pick up an entire kit ilo building something custom around the axles. I’ll use the parts I picked up as spares. Or a crazy 6x6 or 8x8 later - these axles have pass through's ready to go.

But first, let's get the stocker built. Started off with a pile of loose parts, a new kit, and picked up a carbon chassis and set of high speed worm gears. High speed is a relative term, but the stock gear ratio is so high (143:1) you need a higher turn motor to get any wheel speed at all. Thinking the HS gears will allow me to run a higher turn motor for longer run times, hopefully less wear and tear, and have a bit more speed overall than the stockers.

Pile o' Spares

Axle assembly - liberal coating of Penzoil automotive grease inside. This kit is very simple, got it pretty much together in a few hours.

Beef pic. Note the size of the axles, C hubs, and shafts compared to standard 1/10 stuff. These axles are HEAVY once assembled.

Ready to go

More beef - lower links compared to std. 1/10 stuff.

Transmission...if you can call it that. Direct drive - pinion to spur to axles. Nice and efficient! Only complaint is the plastic crossmembers seem a little flexy - it's a different plastic than the axle housings and it's far softer, though it feels ok once it's all bolted together. Starting with a base 27t motor to get rolling, I really have no idea what to expect power-wise....I can read the threads here all day, but reading it and driving it are two different things.

Chassis assembled. I don't know about the digital camo look, but they are defintely lighter and have more adjustments than stock.

More to come!

Last edited by OSRC; 02-27-2012 at 07:22 PM.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: OS's Rock Force

looking forward to the rest of the build
JJBTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Sweet,a build. I like my RF.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

We have a roller - almost. Waiting for some electronics to come in.

Finished up the chassis - bottom view:

From the top.

On a side note, the shocks are goofy: the bodies and springs are huge - 1/8 size, though the shafts themselves are normal size. Guess I am used to all those beefy crawler shock shafts. I shaved about 2mm off the brass piston and filled them with 30 wt oil - seems to be a pretty good initial set-up and everything is nice and smooth.

Couple of comparo pics with my XR: just a bit wider overall

Steering angle is a bit better out of the box suprisingly.

Flex is comparable - more than I was expecting with the panhard set-up and plenty imo. They are drooping a bit in this pic

The tires are a bit of a joke. They are certainly sticky, but no inserts? Basically, they are old Tracker tires molded in a new compound. I like the looks of the wheels and tires, but not for this rig - they are just too small. They'll find their way on something. A set of Sedona's are larger and fit the rig better overall. I'll be swapping these out for sure.

Tower order arriving tomorrow! Should have my servo and can finish this up.

Last edited by OSRC; 02-23-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Electronics mounted, and the last time these chassis plates will show up...HATE HATE HATE the green!! Removed and put the stock aluminum plates back on. Will scuff the carbon and and give a coat of flat black later. I made a small styrene plate for the ESC and reciever as I didn't like mounting them on the two skinny rails. Basic left over Tamiya ESC mounted up since it's a plain jane 27t and a ton of reduction - should be ok. (or not...)

Body painted and mounted. Simple single color scheme with left over decals to brighten it up. The roof paint didn't come out to well -spraying pain when it is in the upper 30's is not a good idea. Really like the stance and overal presence. Looks mean!

Took it for a test drive, and the motor/ESC is cutting out under load. Can't get up a rock unless I have momentum - starting at the bottom and trying to power it up just cuts out. Not sure where the problem is - going to replace the ESC and see if is better - drivetrain is nice and free, so suspect that it's a bum ESC. Gear is spot on though!
Old 02-27-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
MODERATOR™

Default Re: OS's Rock Force (Finished 2/27)

Lower the body all the way down, it looks meaner.

And it's probably the motor, not the ESC. These things need big power.

And no zip tied down suspension?
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

lol - no need on the zip tie suspension for now. Does sit a bit high though. Have to move the ESC a bit for it to tuck all the way down. Looks like a big fat pitbull next to my XR. Do like it though so far - killer rig.

I'm hearing I need some shims on the worms... they are walking around a bit and binding which is why it is cutting out.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:41 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Battery fail. Started testing the basics before tearing into the axles and first stop was the batt. Must have had a cell gone bad, only putting out 6.1v on my meter. I've had it for 10+ years, think it is time for retirement. Funny it wheeled fine in a staight line, but died under any kind of load. Dropped in another and the rig completely came to life. Crawled around the basement for a bit - acually think I have too much wheelspeed with the stock gear ratio and HS worms. We'll see once I get it back outside. Love how this truck takes off - no drama, no squat, no TT, just jumps up and goes.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #9
ahhh S^*T

I want one.
AxialJeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Well get one then, . they;re very tough, you just need to run brushless or 3s like what i run in mine.

Last edited by vipxj; 11-09-2012 at 11:38 AM.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:52 PM   #11
syp

What motor and esc do you use, and which spur and pinion
syp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Exactly what you see in the pics. Stock gear ratio, standard silver can 540 and a cheap tamiya esc. Havent changed a thing in 2+ years.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #13
syp

Thanks for that reply do think it is hard to get it to performe good i have run against scx10 and been beaten, so how does yours setup compare to the others crawlers you have driven against.
syp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:17 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

it's bone stock, I don't compete or take it on trail runs. Just noodle around in the backyard and at some local places for fun once in a while - sorry I cannot be of more help.

I'm sure it could be a killer rig with a few tweaks, the bones are there. Just needs some tuning.

OS's Rock Force (Finished 2/27) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OS's XR OSRC Axial XR10 21 11-09-2011 08:39 PM
OS's Creeper OSRC Venom Creeper 8 11-07-2011 10:06 PM
Can somebody please identify these axles as rock force or mad force? 97sfeclipse Kyosho Crawlers 2 03-27-2010 04:59 PM
Kyosho Rock Force or Losi Mini Rock Crawler? YSL General Crawlers 22 06-06-2009 09:59 PM
Getting ready to get my first Rock Crawler, which one, the Rock Force or Axial AX10? ragfire10 Newbie General 11 03-04-2009 06:02 PM