Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Kyosho Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My Kyosho Rigs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2016, 06:19 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default My Kyosho Rigs

First one is a fo-xx, set up for speed and it's great on 4s.
Running it bone stock and it has held up to some pretty heinous bashing, needless to say my wraith didn't fare as well and cost quite a bit more!

The body is the proline slash one, it has seen a few lives before this one and just happened to fit this one with little work.

Wheels and tires are 17mm sct wheels from de-racing with deuces wild foams cut to fit and of course 2.2 rock beasts. The rings I had laying around from locked up rc.

Now I was so impressed with this truck, when I snagged a bone stock wraith I didn't see myself dumping money into the ar60's (again). So I grabbed new set of axles for $110 and began the process of fitting them to my wraith.

I'm using two short sides of the housing, and laser cut myself a set of 'shark fins' from 1/8 delrin. Seems strong enough when braced with a bolt going all the way through. However this set doesn't clock the axle quite where I want it, so a new set will be made.

I'm using arrma senton cvd's on all 4 corners, they don't quite fit but I've got some thinner bearings on the way that should make it work.

Here she is as she sits now, using losi 8 rear shocks all around (re valved for crawling) and with the stock links still in place.

Pardon the funky knuckle

Driveshafts have got me stumped at the moment, I really want to run MIP's but I'm not sure I can drill their 6mm ends out to 8mm.

More to come, can't wait to get it running
MattTheGenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2016, 06:59 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: My Kyosho Rigs

Are you running two of the same side knuckles and not an actual pair? Why is your steering link not parallel to the ground? I don't know crap about Kyosho axles so excuse my ignorance. That would drive my OCD insane...
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:38 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChupacabra View Post
Are you running two of the same side knuckles and not an actual pair? Why is your steering link not parallel to the ground? I don't know crap about Kyosho axles so excuse my ignorance. That would drive my OCD insane...
Yep that was the issue, it also seems to be an older knuckle, with no cutout for steering clearance. Swapped it to a new one and everything is good to go.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:15 PM   #4
SuperShafty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheGenus View Post
Yep that was the issue, it also seems to be an older knuckle, with no cutout for steering clearance. Swapped it to a new one and everything is good to go.

Check out supershafty.com for 8mm mip ends are now in stock
mjderstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:21 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjderstine View Post
Check out supershafty.com for 8mm mip ends are now in stock
Excellent, thank you sir! The rest of it should be a bolt together affair now.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:25 PM   #6
SuperShafty.com

Nice work on the shark fins too btw
mjderstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 11:31 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

MattTheGenus,
Awesome work and looks like a ton of fun. Love the Shark Fin.

I looked at doing a narrowed set for AR60 width using the 2 short sides like you did but wasn't sure how well they would keep out the dirt and dust since it would no longer have the lip like the long side does. I tried to cut down a long side but the inner tube tapers towards the diff and it was too much of a PITA to sand it down so i just set that idea to the side since they aren't intended for any build and more of a fun thing to try. Question? Did you seal yours somehow?

My Jerp will be 16.25"WB so Mips were out of the question. Talking to MJ i decided to try these TRAXXAS BEEFY Driveshafts - Super Shafty If the coupler gives me issues i will try these RCM Revo Couplers Revo drive shaft coupler, RC-Monster Proprietary Items
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:30 AM   #8

Looks good! I have been running the traxxas shafts on my mad force for a while. I thought for sure the couplers would be a weak point but I have yet to brake one. I am running 4s lipo and the only issues so far is the holes stretch out on the shaft side of the joint! 1031161302_zpszjcgdo2e.jpg Photo by crazycd1 | Photobucket
raptorridr660r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:07 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjderstine View Post
Nice work on the shark fins too btw
Thanks, laser cutting is a wonderful thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
snip
Thank you, it has been an enjoyable project so far lots of little things to sort out.
I haven't done anything to seal the joint, I've got some m3 bolts and nuts to hold it really securely and it should be good enough. When I cracked the axles open on my other truck (stock axles) there was some dust in the housing, I figure it's just a fact of life.

Can't wait to see your big jeep running, should point out any weak spots I may need to address!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorridr660r View Post
snip
Thank you, I've had good luck with traxxas driveshafts, pretty much the exact same wear pattern on my slashes. Got the mip's sorted for this rig, but
for a lighter rotational mass, I'll keep these in mind.

Here's a few more pictures with some hubs on it, shocks are really limiting the turning so I'll have to figure something out.

And the fixed knuckle situation.

Waiting for some parts now, will update when it shows up.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:17 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Tires rubbing shocks? Can you mount them to the old trailing arm link thingy. It would put them more vertical and increase height though. Depending on how much clearance you need, maybe a 6mm spacer between where you have the shocks now. That would push them in towards the center of the axle more. Tough to do with big shocks short of changing your back spacing on your rims or different wider hexes to change track width.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:40 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWombat View Post
that is pretty bad@$$ I really like it
Thanks Wombat
Quote:
Tires rubbing shocks? Can you mount them to the old trailing arm link thingy. It would put them more vertical and increase height though. Depending on how much clearance you need, maybe a 6mm spacer between where you have the shocks now. That would push them in towards the center of the axle more. Tough to do with big shocks short of changing your back spacing on your rims or different wider hexes to change track width.
It was a flat no go with those shocks in that spot unfortunately, I've got a good and complicated solution I'm working on now!

For this update I snagged a few parts. First was a set of lower ratio gears with a ratio of 4.125:1. Needed some different shimming from the stock gears but fit like a glove (sorry about the crap picture)

Also going to have these made for the rear, all that exposed junk in the rear was bothering me. Going to make one for the front that includes a servo mount too.

The truck also got about 10mm wider, I got some kyosho universals super cheap that are 89.5mm wide. This was accounted for in the lockout, and will be in the front too.

More to come, any questions fire away
Old 11-20-2016, 10:13 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheGenus View Post
For this update I snagged a few parts. First was a set of lower ratio gears with a ratio of 4.125:1. Needed some different shimming from the stock gears but fit like a glove (sorry about the crap picture)

Also going to have these made for the rear, all that exposed junk in the rear was bothering me. Going to make one for the front that includes a servo mount too.

The truck also got about 10mm wider, I got some kyosho universals super cheap that are 89.5mm wide. This was accounted for in the lockout, and will be in the front too.

More to come, any questions fire away
More info on the Diffs? Make, Model & R&P count?

Lockout looks great. I like the link integration. What are you making them out of? Bigger bearings?
Old 12-04-2016, 01:07 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
More info on the Diffs? Make, Model & R&P count?

Lockout looks great. I like the link integration. What are you making them out of? Bigger bearings?
Diffs are 33t ring 8t pinion, part numbers KYOIS154,KYOIIS155.

Planning to get the lockouts printed at shapeways eventually, stock bearing sizes as they are already overkill for my uses. Lockouts will be down the road along with a nice servo mount/link mounts for the front. Got to get it running before I lose interest

Haven't got a ton done. With my wider universals, I added 7mm to each side and pounded in some threaded inserts as the plastic was very thin.

mcmaster

94510A030

More to come after finals wrap up, I drive the truck next Wednesday come hell or high water
Old 01-06-2017, 01:50 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

New year, new update. Finally got the truck running, then tore it down again to make some changes.

Made some slw compatible adapters out of 20mm hexes.

Also slapped in an incision link set, method wheels and tsl xl's. One of which got pinch cut :(

Got a 7980 mounted up front, need to get a bec wired in and she should be good to go for now. Plan is to lower it a tad too when I get the chance.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:55 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Had the beetle out today, first time running anything on 6s! It was a blast until something cut out and the thing stuck on full throttle
Launched itself down this hill

Finally it got stuck in a little bush and luckily the piece of shit arrma esc let go in about 20 seconds. You can see how much the tire balooned and ate into the body, mind you this is with deuces wild foams in the tires

On the bright side, one tire is now really broken in, should get mad traction at this corner

Esc is shot at this point, and thats fine it sucked anyway. Also going to trash the receiver, as this had happened once before with this truck.
The rest of the truck held up beautifully! Nothing broke bent or otherwise damaged, I really do like this platform.

Last edited by MattTheGenus; 03-01-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:24 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Been slowly tweaking the wraith,

Got a servo mount printed and screwed to the axle in 4 places, took out the spacers on the shocks, new lurc wheels/delrin rings, ground off one of the axle screws and a few other little things.

More updates as they happen, eventually a longer rear driveshaft, trans gears etc etc
Old 02-26-2017, 07:07 PM   #17
Gold Star Baby!

Nice work man! Got any more pics of the servo mount?
vwmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:15 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwmopar View Post
Nice work man! Got any more pics of the servo mount?

Thank you sir, the servo mount is nothing spectacular. Kind of hard to see in the truck, but here's a screenshot of what it looks like.

Decided that the stock body wasn't doing it for me anymore, and well it's self explanatory

1 Hour Later...

Current plan is to make the rest of the body out of styrene, and I'd like to move the servo to the middle of the axle to solve a whole bunch of clearance issues. The axles also have to get drilled to take the 3mm pins the hexes use, the 2.5 pins are pretty sloppy.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:01 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I really like the Servo mount and new body. For the mount did you put the brass inserts in the axle?

How is your steering with the arm like that?
Old 03-02-2017, 04:48 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I really like the Servo mount and new body. For the mount did you put the brass inserts in the axle?

How is your steering with the arm like that?
Thanks, I'm liking the look too.
Yeah I put 4 of the inserts into the axle, and a healthy slathering of jb weld on each of them, it's a very strong setup.

I have full steering lock to lock, but the arm is a bit long and the epa's are dialed into the 70% range. I'm eying a few different comp setups with the servo behind the axle, but my wraith is torn apart at the moment and I've got a strict 1 crawler always runs rule

My Kyosho Rigs - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New RIGS yoda@4x4 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 0 12-04-2009 09:51 AM
New rigs ? SMUDGEBUG Comments, Suggestions, and Help 3 01-19-2009 08:07 PM
Rigs? The Muscle Chit Chat 63 02-14-2007 10:30 PM