Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Kyosho Crawlers

Notices

Thread: tranny solutions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2006, 05:58 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Newbie Build Thread

So i got a twin force yesterday but i am missing some parts to the tranny. First question is where can i buy those parts, looks like kyosho america is at 100% yet and i need to do something ASAP.

Second...is the stock tranny the most popular option? i know i could search but i would like to get feed back from everyone on what they are running and the pros and cons.

The simple solution is to just build the TF tranny and be done with it.

I could go with a Pede tranny but is a single 55t lathe motor enough for kongs? (kongs are plan A, 40 series moabs is plan B) and is the pede up to the task strength wise?

An emaxx tranny looks like it could be pretty simple but i have some concerns with its 2 speed shifting.

Last edited by BigRedB2; 09-17-2006 at 06:17 PM. Reason: needed new title
BigRedB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2006, 09:21 PM   #2
TEAM MODERATOR

Stength wise,the Twin will crush any others you listed. Between the 8mm outputs and chain drive they are hella stout. I've run Kongs and 8 1/2" LST's with all my Twin stuff(with 1 lathe or various other motors)and the only thing that gave was the plastic spur gear. Another thing I personally like about the Twin tranny,with a little imagination,you can use factory parts and reconfigure the Twin tranny in a million different shapes and sizes to accommidate any chassis you can dream up. Performance wise,you'd be money ahead forgetting the Kongs and start with the Moab XL's. You could spend a month solid cutting and grooving a set of Kongs....and they still won't be all that great. Moabs kick butt...out of the box,and get better with a little trimmin.

Last edited by Reflection; 09-15-2006 at 09:24 PM.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 04:34 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Well, i went with a pede transmission. I was missing some parts to mine and a pede tranny was easier to get a hold of. down the road i may go back to stock. Still need to figure out the driveshaft situation, from what we were looking at, looks like the stock pede shafts can be made to work easily. Does anyone have any better suggestions? im fairly new to RC and my fab skills are minimal, but with some good instructions i can get anything done.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:11 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Well, figured out the drive shafts, think were gonna try the stock pede sliders and and an aluminum shaft cut and grooved to fit the pede shaft.

I definatly wanna run moabs XLs but it looks like i need a 23 mm adapter to run any 40 series rims. all the adapters i see look like they fit a Maxx axle. Is there any modification to the twin axle to use these adapters? Ive also found some Revo rims that have 14mm hexes and are 3.8" tall, the inside diameter of the moab is 3.6" will that stretch that far? and will the revo style rim have enough backspacing?
Old 09-17-2006, 07:20 PM   #5
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedB2
Well, figured out the drive shafts, think were gonna try the stock pede sliders and and an aluminum shaft cut and grooved to fit the pede shaft.

I definatly wanna run moabs XLs but it looks like i need a 23 mm adapter to run any 40 series rims. all the adapters i see look like they fit a Maxx axle. Is there any modification to the twin axle to use these adapters? Ive also found some Revo rims that have 14mm hexes and are 3.8" tall, the inside diameter of the moab is 3.6" will that stretch that far? and will the revo style rim have enough backspacing?
I'am running a set of Velocity 40's series wheels that are 14mm and moab xl's, freaking love them. On the driveshafts I would use revos. You would have to grind around the output shafts on the case and the on revo yokes to get holes to line to put the set pin in. I look into a upgrading the ider gear also. But with moab xl's I would also runa gd-600 has the just the gearing and lathe isnt a enough with the big tires.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:45 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Cool, thanks for the feed back. I looked at the velocity rims earlier, im glad they work! If i remember right, the twin axles have more gear reduction than the clod axles and i ran a 55t lathe on my clod w/ moabs and it seemed fine, just needed a different pinion....I will look into the gd 600 though can never have too much reduction.