RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Kyosho Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/kyosho-crawlers/)
-   -   pinion question (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/kyosho-crawlers/561132-pinion-question.html)

Jmoritz 04-04-2016 02:39 PM

pinion question

so is there a drop in helical cut pinion gear that has a hole in it instead of the flat spot for the drive shaft?

thead 04-04-2016 05:13 PM

Re: pinion question

not that i'm aware of.i've been running kyosho nitro trucks for years,never had a need for the hole,but read where others have drilled them for driveshaft pins,but very hard material.hope this helps:)

mjderstine 04-04-2016 10:11 PM

um i think so. let me check the sticky... wait you can do that too. but ill look

mjderstine 04-04-2016 10:16 PM

looks like all have the flat spot. i really dont think you will need a hole all the way through. i have never had one come loose in over 6 years of running these axles.

mjderstine 04-05-2016 10:19 PM

youre good man!

raptorridr660r 04-07-2016 03:00 PM

I drilled mine out pretty easy to run Traxxas revo shafts. There is a how to out there on doing the revo shaft mid with instructions including the drilling. I will try to find it and post a link.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

STRAT 10-11-2016 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raptorridr660r (Post 5481791)
I drilled mine out pretty easy to run Traxxas revo shafts. There is a how to out there on doing the revo shaft mid with instructions including the drilling. I will try to find it and post a link.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Where is it?

raptorridr660r 10-20-2016 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STRAT (Post 5574187)
Where is it?

Hey look at me being slow! Here is a link to the mod with all revo parts. Installing Revo Shafts

Another option is the Revo driveshaft yoke from RC Monster! http://rcmonster.com/proddetail.php?..._shaft_coupler

I used these on both the axles and trans sides of a New Era chassis truck I am putting together, but have not run it yet. I have also run the full Revo shafts as shown in the mod above and run them hard. No broken parts yet with 4s lipo and 2000kv motor. I am very impressed they hold up so well even after drilling out the plastic yokes.

STRAT 10-22-2016 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twissted (Post 5578087)
I have drilled them in order to use the Summit drive shafts that I also drilled to fit the pinion shaft.

Ur talking about the diff shafts(pinions), what pinions did you drill the silver ones or the black ones as the later are super hard!

raptorridr660r 10-22-2016 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STRAT (Post 5578693)
Ur talking about the diff shafts(pinions), what pinions did you drill the silver ones or the black ones as the later are super hard!

I drilled the hardened black ones. I got through the pinion shaft by grinding some of the flat first on my bench grinder then using a vice and a drill press to get through the rest of the shaft. Then I needed to counter sink one end of the hole in the shaft so the threaded end of the traxxas screw to sit in so it would be flush with the yoke. Be careful with drilling the counter sink, once you get through the hardend outter edge of the pinion shaft the bit will make short work of the center! Its much softer then the outside.

STRAT 10-22-2016 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raptorridr660r (Post 5578714)
I drilled the hardened black ones. I got through the pinion shaft by grinding some of the flat first on my bench grinder then using a vice and a drill press to get through the rest of the shaft. Then I needed to counter sink one end of the hole in the shaft so the threaded end of the traxxas screw to sit in so it would be flush with the yoke. Be careful with drilling the counter sink, once you get through the hardend outter edge of the pinion shaft the bit will make short work of the center! Its much softer then the outside.

Thanks man will try it but with a hand drill dont have a drill press