RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Kyosho Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/kyosho-crawlers/)
-   -   FO-XX VE tranny for mud truck? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/kyosho-crawlers/577632-fo-xx-ve-tranny-mud-truck.html)

jebster 01-08-2017 11:43 AM

FO-XX VE tranny for mud truck?

Starting a mud truck build and wanted to do something a little different. I want to have the motor high in the chassis so it would be above a deck that will limit splashing up on the electronics. I started down the path of a wheely king tranny or an scx10 tranny connected to a transfer case but then I remembered the mad force chain drive.

So, a few questions:

1. Will this chain drive transmission stand up to brushless power in wet/muddy conditions? Seems likely but wanted to see if others have had good luck. My goal is low maintenance.
2. If I wanted raise the motor further up can the chain lengthen be extended?
3. What is the transmission ratio? I need to compare to an scx10 for motor and spur/pinion gearing.
4. What options are there for spur gears? What is compatible?

All input is welcome.

steven318is 01-08-2017 06:32 PM

Re: FO-XX VE tranny for mud truck?

emax trans for the motor to sit high or summit if you want 2 speed there both very tuff and sealed quiet well emaxx brushless would be the cheaper to buy on ebay but splash for the summit mounts and dust cover to keep crap out if you want a lower cog

jebster 01-09-2017 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steven318is (Post 5646961)
emax trans for the motor to sit high or summit if you want 2 speed there both very tuff and sealed quiet well emaxx brushless would be the cheaper to buy on ebay but splash for the summit mounts and dust cover to keep crap out if you want a lower cog

those are some capable transmissions but pretty big for what I need. one of the benefits (at least I think) of a FO-XX tranny is that is it very simple and doesn't have an enclosed case that could trap water/mud that I need to open up for maintenance. (I know I can pack it with grease to help reduce water intrusion.)

anyone else out there have answers to some of my original questions?

jebster 01-10-2017 12:44 PM

just bumping this thread up to see if I catch the eye of any kyosho owners out there.

cmbscx10 01-10-2017 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebster (Post 5646740)
I started down the path of a wheely king tranny or an scx10 tranny connected to a transfer case but then I remembered the mad force chain drive.

So, a few questions:

1. Will this chain drive transmission stand up to brushless power in wet/muddy conditions? Seems likely but wanted to see if others have had good luck. My goal is low maintenance.
2. If I wanted raise the motor further up can the chain lengthen be extended?
3. What is the transmission ratio? I need to compare to an scx10 for motor and spur/pinion gearing.
4. What options are there for spur gears? What is compatible?

All input is welcome.

1. The chain drive system has been around forever. I had similar system in my Vanning 25years ago. Will it hold up to brushless power? It is in the Mad Force VE and the Foxx that can run 6S so i would say without a doubt plus all the Nitro rigs. Can't get much more low maintenance than a chain drive. Sure it gets dirty but easy to clean, oil and change a bearing if needed. I would be more looking at something like the Summit trans. With a LEM dog carrier they are suppose to handle big power. A properly sealed trans i would think would be better suited to "Mud" conditions.

2. A big hurdle depending on tools and Fab skills. I don't know of a small enough master link that you could easily extend the chain using two chains to any length you want. Maybe a pocket bike or a kids bicycle? If no master link can be found then it will be about driving out the pins, driving them back in and mushrooming the ends.

3. No idea. Sorry i can't help there.

4. Not direct experience but possibly the Inferno MP7.5, MP777, ST-R, maybe MP9

Not sure if it helps but that is what i can offer.

jebster 01-11-2017 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmbscx10 (Post 5648100)
1. The chain drive system has been around forever. I had similar system in my Vanning 25years ago. Will it hold up to brushless power? It is in the Mad Force VE and the Foxx that can run 6S so i would say without a doubt plus all the Nitro rigs. Can't get much more low maintenance than a chain drive. Sure it gets dirty but easy to clean, oil and change a bearing if needed. I would be more looking at something like the Summit trans. With a LEM dog carrier they are suppose to handle big power. A properly sealed trans i would think would be better suited to "Mud" conditions.

2. A big hurdle depending on tools and Fab skills. I don't know of a small enough master link that you could easily extend the chain using two chains to any length you want. Maybe a pocket bike or a kids bicycle? If no master link can be found then it will be about driving out the pins, driving them back in and mushrooming the ends.

3. No idea. Sorry i can't help there.

4. Not direct experience but possibly the Inferno MP7.5, MP777, ST-R, maybe MP9

Not sure if it helps but that is what i can offer.

I appreciate the response. looking back my first question probably wasn't too bright considering what vehicles it runs in! :roll:

Doing little research it looks like the chain has a clip link so I can pop that out to add addition links so I think I'm set there.

You are correct that a summit transmission is pretty durable and could do the job well but I want to give something different a try and as you mentioned chain drive is simple and easy to maintain. if I can run a chain drive on the back of a quad runner through the mud, water and brush on trails without issue it should work here.

the only concern I have is size. I'm building a rig based on 2.2 tires with ar60 axles (using a ridgecrest chassis). the sprocket is pretty big (I'm estimating 1.75" diameter). since I plan on having the motor/spur/transfer shaft sitting high in the chassis I hope to have enough room. i'll find out when it arrives next week.