Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Kyosho Crawlers

Notices

Thread: axle width?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2007, 11:45 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default axle width?

im a student at itt tech for engineering and im building a scale tuber but im limited to what scale i can design it by the axles. ive considered having some machined from my CAD drawing. im looking for a overall dimension of 2'x3' i read in here that the TF axles are 14"? any recomandations on getting the width from outside the tires to 24".

im building a scale poison spyder bruiser chassis
going for 1/5 or 1/6 scale
wheelbase about 26"
dual 540 size brushless
lipo

thanks for any help
ati2de22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2007, 02:33 PM   #2
TEAM MODERATOR

Why dual brushless? You'll need 2 trannies then.

Twin axles in stock form are 12" hex to hex. Running 2 longside axles,puts you at 13" How wide do you want the axle itself? Wideners can help but IMHO,that's the worst thing a guy can do to get width. It adds leverage to your knuckles witch creates a failer point IMO. It also adds scrub and kills your steering servo and allot of the power it puts out.

If you want 24" from tire to tire,I think it could easily be done. We'll need some looooong dogbones and a few extra hub carriers. I just got in from working all week. Gotta catch up on a few things. Let me ponder on it and I'll see if I can come up with a good set up.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 03:01 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

well it looks like im going to go to machine shop with a cad drawing but i need to find a decent diff to handle the size. reason i was thinking dual brushless is i found some 3/8 tubing and im guessing the weight of the complete tuber to be 20lbs. i know its all talk untill i get it built.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:20 PM   #4
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ati2de22 View Post
well it looks like im going to go to machine shop with a cad drawing but i need to find a decent diff to handle the size. reason i was thinking dual brushless is i found some 3/8 tubing and im guessing the weight of the complete tuber to be 20lbs. i know its all talk untill i get it built.

The 3025-8 from Holmes Hobbies would do VERY well with a 20 pound rig by itself. Thats what I run in my 12 pound super class rig and it'll sling it around like a rag doll. You can't run 2 outrunners on the same spur,so you'd have to run 2 trannies. IMHO,it'd be a waste.

If you feel you need more power in there,John can get bigger,badder outrunners if you want.

Oh,if you decide to build a custom axle housing,the diffs in a Twin will hold if you run the helical cut steel gears. Factory,they come with aluminum gears which will hold if they are shimmed up tight and in a lighter rig. The steel helicals will be what you need. Theres 2 ratio's to choose from,a 3.3 ratio and a 4.3 ratio. Depending on the tranny,sometimes it's easy to gear down so the 3.3's are a good gear. Some trannies will give more options to a higher gear so the 4.3's are better.

What tranny are you gonna run?
Old 07-13-2007, 04:50 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

well after alot of research i got a crazy idea. rototiller housing they have a worm gear and the housing is set up like a solid axle with out the housing around the shafts.

as for tranny not too shure. iver herd that emaxx are strong. but if i get axle i was talking about above i wont need a tranny the gear reduction will be plenty.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:13 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Old 07-14-2007, 07:11 AM   #7
TEAM MODERATOR

I do believe that would be a bit big for this.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:46 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

i just found a sweet thing for my rock crawler. its a stadium truck body but will work just fine.

43" long
19" wide
13" high
25" wheel base

what do ya think. with some good size tires ill be able to push the width to match the body and i also found out its not as hard as i though to lengthen the TF axles.

oh btw thanks alot on the witeup of how to extend these axles.

Last edited by ati2de22; 07-14-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:09 PM   #9
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ati2de22 View Post
i just found a sweet thing for my rock crawler. its a stadium truck body but will work just fine.

43" long
19" wide
13" high
25" wheel base

what do ya think. with some good size tires ill be able to push the width to match the body and i also found out its not as hard as i though to lengthen the TF axles.

oh btw thanks alot on the witeup of how to extend these axles.

Well,if your body is 19" wide and your going for a scale look,you could easily run that. Running wheels with allot of offset,you could easily get 18" wide running 2 longside shafts. At one time,I remember being 18" wide outside of my tires. You could build some 8" tall tires and have a close to scale 40" tire for a 1:5 scale build.

I've started to get more interested in the smaller 2.2 size builds but the bigger builds are very cool as well. Before I started running in comps,building big was my thing. Although I don't have my 8 1/2" tall LST's anymore,they were a fun tire to run. You gotta find BIG rocks to play in though.