Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Kyosho Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Question for those using the HPI Hellfire CVD mod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2014, 12:15 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Question for those using the HPI Hellfire CVD mod

I got all the parts in to do the conversion with the HPI setup however I have run into a snag.

The short side CVD setup is too long. It is bottoming out on the diff cup when I assemble it. Upon any steering through it causes the setup to bind up. its like the CVD setup needs to be a few MM shorter.

I have tried modifying the ball end portion of the CVD, trimming it down but still have the issue. The long side appears to be fine, has some back and forth play there no issues.

Any ideas?
Cainlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2014, 09:18 AM   #2
SuperShafty.com

Default Re: Question for those using the HPI Hellfire CVD mod

hey man. i havent used these as you know i make my own.

can you shim the axle so that it is out all the way? ie. make sure there are no shims between the axle and the bearings in the knuckle?

can you use a small wheel on a dremel and grind out some of the cup?

or... put a small spacer or ring around the mail part of the c hub piece when you slide it in the diff case of the axle it will widen the thing just enough. a ring could be cut off a spare diff case.
mjderstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Question for those using the HPI Hellfire CVD mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjderstine View Post
hey man. i havent used these as you know i make my own.

can you shim the axle so that it is out all the way? ie. make sure there are no shims between the axle and the bearings in the knuckle?

can you use a small wheel on a dremel and grind out some of the cup?

or... put a small spacer or ring around the mail part of the c hub piece when you slide it in the diff case of the axle it will widen the thing just enough. a ring could be cut off a spare diff case.
Yeah, I was tempted to shoot you a message to have you cut down the stock bone as its just too long.

For the cup I couldn't see anyhing really to dremel that I could reach with my tools. it hitting something in the cup equally so the ball I guess doesnt' bottom out against the cup. Maybe the cups themselves changed?

I ended up getting annoyed enough and wanting to finish the build and just ordered the ofna short set.

Got those in, and they are short enough, the bone is quite a few mm shorter than the HPI one.

And it is able to mate to the HPI CVD axle part. when I did that, I had very litle back and forth play, but no binding in the steering.

so if just the bones from the ofna were available, can use that with the HPI part and be golden.

ANother guy on rcmt mentioned the same issue, we have been discussing it a bit and he mentioned doing a thinner bearing than stock on the innermost bearing on the steering knuckle.. Say a 4mm or even 3mm if you can find it. 4mm's I am seeing around easily, I may pick up some to try to give it a bit more play for piece of mind and then shim the hex I am using or get a thicker hex.

But the long side was all fine, no issues.

I should be able to continue my build now, finishing up tires and all.
Cainlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Question for those using the HPI Hellfire CVD mod - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HPI CVD Mod? Gimbal Kyosho Crawlers 13 04-18-2011 07:47 PM
hpi hellfire xDamianx Non Crawler RC's 2 01-28-2010 07:18 AM