Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: I want an honest opinion on 2.8 rim/tire combo for a 1/6 scale.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default I want an honest opinion on 2.8 rim/tire combo for a 1/6 scale.

Well first off I dont have any pics of my own. I know, what a bummer. But I cant aford to buy tires and rims and taking them back and doing all that so heres my question.

I have seen some 30 series tire rim combos from Imex at the local hobby shop and was thinking that they might be a little closser to scale on my 1/6 Ram project. If anybody has a 1/6th rig (Newbright body) of any kind AND some 2.8 or 30 series tire/rims and could take some pics to give me an idea of what they would look like they would be my friend for ever and sure to get a Christmas card this year!

I'm not a big fan of this look but it might give you an idea of what I am working with.
jeepfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2008, 11:16 PM   #2
[HOONIGAN]

Anything bigger than 2.2's is going to look 10x better imo. The 2.2's just look way too small.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:32 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

why don't you try rockstompers, they would look pretty sweet i think
hairyguy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:00 AM   #4
Nor-CalRCRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyguy4 View Post
why don't you try rockstompers, they would look pretty sweet i think
Yeah, Rock Stompers or Rock Crushers would probably be a much better diameter than what you have in the pic. You can still use your wheels too.
montereycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

You can also use a silver wheel and rock ring. The light color makes it look just a little bigger, whereas the black wheels with a contrasting ring look smaller.

Photoshop it if ya don't believe me.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:27 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I'm facing the same problem with my 1/6 build, so here's some pics for the benefit of all. It's a 1/6 new bright H3.
Here's Imex 2.8 claw dawgs

Here's something else I've been working on, losi zombe maxx with 2.2 moab sidewalls

And a reference on height. Losi claw, claw dawgs, 2.2 zombie maxx

I haven't decided which route I'm going to take, probably I'll get deeper into the build up before I decide. The claw dawgs fit the wheel well perfectly, but I think they're just a touch wide. I know the zombie maxx tires will work pretty well, at least on dry rock, but they don't look even hardly scale. If you do the math though, a 2.8 wheel ends up as roughly a 17 in 1:6 scale, whereas a 2.2 works out to be a 13. Maxx size would be a 19, clod would be somewhere between a 15 and a 16, Any way you look at it, we get screwed for choices in 1:6 scale.

Last edited by chrisjlittle; 05-11-2008 at 05:33 PM.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:43 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Those were the same combo's I was looking at! I don't realy care for the "BLING thing" but your right, they look better except for the width. I've also been seeing the 10 hole rim combo's and think that they would be more respectable on an offroad rig. The other problem I've come across is the lack of 30 series tires? I have never cut and shut a set of tires but since you have you might think of just narrowing those rims and tires to get the width were you want.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:27 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
I'm facing the same problem with my 1/6 build, so here's some pics for the benefit of all. It's a 1/6 new bright H3.
Here's Imex 2.8 claw dawgs

Here's something else I've been working on, losi zombe maxx with 2.2 moab sidewalls

And a reference on height. Losi claw, claw dawgs, 2.2 zombie maxx

I haven't decided which route I'm going to take, probably I'll get deeper into the build up before I decide. The claw dawgs fit the wheel well perfectly, but I think they're just a touch wide. I know the zombie maxx tires will work pretty well, at least on dry rock, but they don't look even hardly scale. If you do the math though, a 2.8 wheel ends up as roughly a 17 in 1:6 scale, whereas a 2.2 works out to be a 13. Maxx size would be a 19, clod would be somewhere between a 15 and a 16, Any way you look at it, we get screwed for choices in 1:6 scale.

I think if you narowed the wheels that the claws are on then it would pull your sidewalls in and cause the tire to sit up like a good boy and not slouch..LOL!!!..The clasw look good but you are correct on how wide they are..They look to be your dbest bet!!..As for your comment about being "screwed" for tire choices for 1:6 builds..I thiink the 40 series slingers look just fine!!!..LOL!!!..Check em out in my Project "BIG"...
AIPOHAKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:45 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I think the 2.2's look almost perfect for my 1/6th. Here is what I'm shooting for using 2.2 Proline 8 Shooters and 2.2 RC4WD Rock Crushers oN Axial diffs with Hot Racing 35mm wideners:

jmbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:01 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I think 2.8 is the route I'm going on my 1/6 H2 build. Maybe make a narrower rim and narrow the Imex claw tires. Thanks for the mock up pics of the 2.8.
createacrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:10 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

This is the same truck I have but I was thinking the tire looks right but the rim looks to small. I'm using Juggy axles and not sure what else right now, it's a long term project.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:09 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

i think it is a cool idea man
caddyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:44 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I snagged some ericksons in the sale he had and stuck my 2.2 zombies on them, and go figure, microgoat was right. With the bare stainless rings, the wheels look a lot bigger. This was the best pic I could manage.

I've decided on that arrangement. The bling just won't cut it on a olive drab rig that will eventually get exo'd, and I like the extra ground clearance.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:16 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
I snagged some ericksons in the sale he had and stuck my 2.2 zombies on them, and go figure, microgoat was right. With the bare stainless rings, the wheels look a lot bigger. This was the best pic I could manage.

I've decided on that arrangement. The bling just won't cut it on a olive drab rig that will eventually get exo'd, and I like the extra ground clearance.

How tall did those tire end up? What's their width?
Old 05-17-2008, 04:27 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreek View Post
How tall did those tire end up? What's their width?
About 5.75" tall, about 2.25" wide. The Imex 2.8's are about 5" tall, 2 5/8" wide
Old 05-20-2008, 10:27 AM   #16