Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 1/6th Chevy Monster Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 08:41 AM   #101
RCC Addict

Funny you mention that because that's what I was doing. I was trying to keep and eye out for the gear on ebay or even a transmission with one in it. Figured I could at least use the spare parts. I thought about buying 2 gears and then selling off one to someone local to recoup half the shipping.
NickRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2009, 09:49 AM   #102
RCC Addict

Cheapest i saw at ebay last month for a tranny with steel gears was over $100 (no slippers). I got a new set of Ultramaxx, a stock tranny, and the robinson slippers. The all steel goes into the Hulk TXT Campbell, the 2 UE idlers goes to the Hulk Poison Ivy 2JSC.

The steel gears are offered at ebay quite seldomly, Maybe once a month or every other month. I think it will be easier to split shipping with another guy or just install both for a 2-speed. I installed a tranny servo and tried them. They hook up nicely using a 3 position switch. fast-neutral-slow.
Siggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:02 AM   #103
RCC Addict

I ditched the 2-speed. Converted it over to single speed to get rid of the extra stuff. These motors have plenty of low end for crawling and more top end than I need so I just simplified. I think I'm going to just bite the bullet and order today so I can get this thing back in the mud
Old 09-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #104
RCC Addict

Yup, get the tranny fixed as you'd be missing-out on more fun, you seem really to be having a blast! They sure are lighter on the drivetrain with just a 1 speed, for sure.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:17 AM   #105
RCC Addict

This is probably one of the Top 3 funnest trucks I've ever owned and I've had A LOT of RCs. It's just all around fun. It really does a bit of everything which is awesome.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:22 AM   #106
RCC Addict

Just seeing the nice pictures it really spells tons of Fun for you and the boys watching! Also love how your Hilux runs, one of the best bruisers I've ever seen.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #107
RCC Addict

Decided to just go ahead and get a new 3905 trans. It has a steel idler already and wider gears so it should hold up better. Didn't cost much more than a new steel idler for the old trans was going to cost. I'll have to make new mounts but no biggy.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:41 AM   #108
RCC Addict

That was a good call. These are the trannies that are brushless ready.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #109
RCC Addict

Well the new trans came in today. I started drawing up the mounting template and was bored so started messing around with how it might fit in the chassis. The drawing isn't extremely accurate since I didn't have anything to take the transmission apart with here at work.

Here are the sizes compared to the old 3906 transmission

I'll need to make new mounts and probably raise the new transmission up slightly. That motor hanging off the side is horrible.....

Should clear pretty good.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:39 PM   #110
Quarry Creeper

awsome to see this thing finally getting run on some dirt, rocks, and best of all in the mud. looks like a boss too.
jeepcreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:50 AM   #111
RCC Addict

Got the mounts done for the 3905 trans. Offset to the one side as far as I can go. I'm going to mount the motors before drilling the holes in the mounts. I'd hate to drill them to find out they don't clear the chassis plates.

Sorry for the cell pics

Old 09-24-2009, 10:56 AM   #112
Hateraide

looks, good cant wait to see it back together and running with some videos
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:12 AM   #113
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickRummy View Post
Got the mounts done for the 3905 trans. Offset to the one side as far as I can go. I'm going to mount the motors before drilling the holes in the mounts. I'd hate to drill them to find out they don't clear the chassis plates.
I like how you work. You certainly do not waste anytime and get things done nice and quick!
Old 09-24-2009, 12:21 PM   #114
PapaGriz Yo

WOW! I'm sure sorry that I've missed this build up to this point. This thing is awesome!!!
I would like to do the same thing with my 1/6 Tahoe body that has just been sitting in the basement.

Great work Nick; keep this thing alive, it looks like a blast.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:31 PM   #115
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy View Post
I like how you work. You certainly do not waste anytime and get things done nice and quick!

I'm not normally as quick as I have been getting things built but this truck is so fun to drive I hate having it sit on the bench in pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
WOW! I'm sure sorry that I've missed this build up to this point. This thing is awesome!!!
I would like to do the same thing with my 1/6 Tahoe body that has just been sitting in the basement.

Great work Nick; keep this thing alive, it looks like a blast.

Thanks Griz! Like I said above it's a riot! I had a large scale clod built a few years back but it wouldn't stand up to any abuse. I think I'm finally thinning out the weak points in this truck. It's not fun taking a truck out and babying it so you can run for more than 5 minutes
Old 09-24-2009, 09:58 PM   #116
RCC Addict

Found some more interesting info today. Stock 1st gear ratio in the 3906 trans I was using is 2.76. The stock ratio in the 3905 trans is 1.83. This thing is going to be faaaaaaaaaaaast. I seen you can get a second speed kit for this new trans that would give me a 5.09 ratio (twice the reduction I was running before)! I might have to look into that. Would be great for crawling.

Got the mounts done and motors in. Seems to all be fine. Top motor sticks up higher but not by a whole lot.

Electronics tucked back into place

Looks like whoever was driving last got a little muddy

Old 10-11-2009, 09:54 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickRummy View Post
These motors have plenty of low end for crawling and more top end than I need so I just simplified.
how fast would you say the top end is?
TRuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:14 AM   #118
RCC Addict

I'm thinking low 20's
Old 10-12-2009, 08:21 AM   #119
~THE SCALE SHOP~

sick!
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:24 AM   #120
RCC Addict

While waiting on the two speed to get here I started looking into something else I've always wanted to do with an RC. It's been done before so it's nothing amazing but I wanted to approach it differently.

This is just too cool right?

Stopped at the local Harbor Freight and found some inner tubes that fit inside the Jumbo Kongs. 8" OD x 2.5"w wide for a 4" rim. I'm running 3.2" rims but that's ok.

Deflated inner tube

Added a little air to see how the fit would be

Not to bad. A little narrow.

Drilled a through hole for the valve stem

Put the tire on.

Added about 10psi to see what would happen.

Since the tube was too narrow it didn't stay centered.

I took the stock foam which is 4" wide and cut 2" out of the center. Then I used the 1" rings left over on either side of the inner tube inside the tire.