Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 1:6 Gladiator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 12:40 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Glad to see it has finaly found it's propor home. I was wondering where this one went. Looks great so far! Are the MOA's for mock up or are they going to be used? You dont see to many rigs with that set up, but there are a few. Just found a 1.1 all electric that you might like.
Attached Images

cruiserkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2009, 05:50 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserkb View Post
Glad to see it has finaly found it's propor home. I was wondering where this one went. Looks great so far! Are the MOA's for mock up or are they going to be used? You dont see to many rigs with that set up, but there are a few. Just found a 1.1 all electric that you might like.

The way you see it in the pictures is how it's gonna be built.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:47 AM   #23
RCC Addict

Had some time to spare while waiting for the blonde to whip up some oatmeal...

BEEFED up the links and tested the load carrying capacity of the truck.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:18 AM   #24
RCC Addict

I was able to get some time in on the rig and made some rear lockouts. It took about 45 minutes to think about how to do it. I wanted the lockouts in the rear but the motor in the back would not allow it so I had to either tie the knuckles to the front side of the axle or use washers like they do on clod's. The washer trick would've worked but i could not find the right thickness of washers to completely eliminate any knuckle rotation in the rear. I browsed this forum for ways to lock it out and decided to use rod ends and tie it in to the front side of the rear axle. Worked out perfectly. It did take quite some time to take apart the axle, drill and tap a hole, and then reassemble but I guess it was worth it. it looks "clean" in some ways.

Checkin for any rubbing...

lot more to go....
Old 04-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

I was wonderin what happen to this build, glad to see you're back on it. Everything looks good so far, don't stop now. Great work
ALTERED IMAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:26 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Default Nice so far

From what I see that would have been a really serious rig. Keep us posted on whatever happen with it. Don't change the army green color, because it goes so well with the truck.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:34 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Thanks. I'll be posting every step of the way on here. The green is staying, but it does need washed a little. That mud is like a year old.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:22 PM   #28
RCC Addict

heck yes, that thing looks really cool. love the way the frame looks on the computer screen.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:37 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
heck yes, that thing looks really cool. love the way the frame looks on the computer screen.
the frame builder chimes in! thanks again for the awesome frame. it fits perfectly after cutting off 1/2 inch from the front. for those who don't know, he built this frame with just a few measurements and pictures of the body and did a heckuva job. ;)
Old 04-22-2009, 10:04 AM   #30
RCC Addict

Got another four hours in and completed the front...well, i think it's completed. I'm not too thrilled with the articulation due to the stiff springs. I have yeah racing shocks with 3 different springs. If i'm correct, the chrome springs are soft (and they do feel soft compare to the other two) but take quite some weight to flex. Maybe I can find some springs online to use instead.

This is what I dislike about how it's setup. I had to put a bend in the arm to clear the motor. Getting that bent threaded rod into the bent aluminum was TOUGH. It didn't come out exactly how I wanted and i think i'm gonna remedy that somehow. I have a upper link mount for the raptor axles but it places the links 1" higher than it's current position and I doesn't look right.

If you have any suggestions on the front link setup, please share
Old 04-22-2009, 02:05 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Lookin good! I've got that same body and a set of TXT axles that I have been putting off building, your build is making me want to work on the project more.

On the front links, why not make finish them and then bend them?
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:00 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Man that ride height is spot on. Looks great!
cruiserkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:31 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
Lookin good! I've got that same body and a set of TXT axles that I have been putting off building, your build is making me want to work on the project more.

On the front links, why not make finish them and then bend them?
I tried that first. What happens is the alum tubing bends but the inner threaded rod only bends a little and the rod end doesn't appear straight out of the tube. Bending the threaded rod first and then the tubing allows both to have the same angle, well close to the same angle.

Thanks for the comments. I'm gonna modify the front links some more. The frame mounting points of the upper front arms is gonna come down about 1/2" so it's the same distance from the lower links as it is in the back. I can feel some binding in the front suspension cuz of how it's setup right now.

I also found some savage 21 shocks on towerhobbies that are 4.5" long and softer than what I have now. I may order them up to soften up the suspension. The yeah racing springs are just too stiff. I dunno how you guys crawl with those shocks.

Like all suspensions, gotta work out the bugs.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:27 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Just buy new springs, RPP sells all of the different rate Losi Springs. I would try the whites and yellows.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:29 PM   #35

those wheel combination's look great!
Really looks scale
vzereeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:37 AM   #36
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
Just buy new springs, RPP sells all of the different rate Losi Springs. I would try the whites and yellows.
I ordered some savage 21 shocks from towerhobbies. They are 4.5" long. The springs that came with the yeah racing shocks are 3.5" and too short when shock is fully extended. The upper cap falls off all the time. I put on some Savage 5.5" red springs on the shocks and they are almost perfect but just a bit too long so 4.5" should be perfect.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:42 AM   #37
RCC Addict

Did some suspension investigating today. I was looking for the source of the binding and it was the shocks. I mounted them perfectly vertical and when flexing, they need to be able to flex outwards a little with the axle but the yeah racing shocks don't have the ball and socket ends like other shocks do (savage, etc). I eliminated the upper shock spacer and put the shocks closer to the frame and that fixed it. I'm really not digging these shocks that much. From the lack of flex at the joints to the short and stiff springs, I should've just went with savage springs like I did on my JK. I fixed the problem so I guess they can stay...for now.

I also moved the upper control arms down on the frame (front) to mimic the rear. I like how it looks now but still not diggin that bend driver's side arm. It just doesn't look realistic. I gotta come up with something to get rid of that.

I did some flexing with savage red springs and it flexed much easier. Right now it weights 5.5 lbs. I'm thinking it's gonna end up in the 15-18 lb range.

Re-worked front arms:

Flexing the A$$:

Max rear Flex:

double flex:

Remaining fabrication:
front steering
full skid plating
front bumper
Roll bar (maybe)
electronics
Old 04-28-2009, 07:43 AM   #38
RCC Addict

Had another wrech-fest on the little one and got the steering done.

The mounting style isn't exactly "scale" but you won't see any of that when the bumper and grill cover is on. I only have one bolt holding the 90 to the upper crossmember until I get my new junfac zero shocks mounted. Once I verify that the springs clear the steering box then I'll add two more bolts to clamp it down.

Here's a video of the steering:

Do the angles look ok? There's a LITTLE bit of bumpsteer but nothing major.

I also was able to get rid of the bent arm (to clear motor) by moving the axle end up a little using the supplied upper mounts that came with the axles. I didn't like the two highest mounting holes so I drilled new holes 1/2" down. Works better that way. The top unused part will be cut off and the mount painted black.

No more bent arm:

Last edited by muddeprived; 04-28-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:39 AM   #39
RCC Addict

I had some stuff going on and did not get much done for a while until today. I was testing out the suspension and noticed that it was binding when articulating. The shocks I had on there were poopy and would not hold oil. No more yeah racing shocks for me. I upgraded to what I originally planned on using, Gmade Zero shocks. The difference between these and yeah racing is HUGE. These shocks are definately better made and actually hold oil like they should. The springs don't rub against the threaded body which is also a plus. My yeah racing shocks were so annoying cuz of that. But anyways, i had to rework the upper attachment point for the front shocks and move them up more cuz the Gmade shocks were a bit taller when mounted. I made a 'stabilizer' bar on top of the shocks to keep the bracket planted firmly. The gmades in the rear would not bolt onto the old shock mounts due to the larger spring so I had to rework both upper and lower mounts. I attached a bracket to the knuckles to hold the lower shock mount and then moved the upper mounts inwards so the shocks are slanted. I got this idea by looking at my buddy's xj as I was pulling out. The rear shocks are at an angle so I figured why not copy that Now the suspension can flex with ZERO binding.

Front setup:

Rear setup:

Flexin:

Poser shots:

Last edited by muddeprived; 05-07-2009 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:54 AM   #40
Rock Crawler

Looks like you nailed the ride height. Can't wait to see it in action.
karlos is offline   Reply With Quote