Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 1/6 yukon on 42s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 12:33 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default 1/6 yukon on 42s

hey all .... well here is something ive been tossing around doin for a while now so i figured id go for it.last year my girlfriend gave me a yukon from walmart for xmas. now granted i had a lot of fun bashing with it, the 2 wheel drive just wasnt doing it for me. i later got a wheely king and the yukon got parked. anyway afetr a few this "would be cool" the yukon got scrapped and then i started thinking scaler-ish. so finally after all that, i decided to make a scale-ish rig using the newbright body and ... wait for it ..... the newbright wheels !! after some cutting and glueing i mounted the wheelyking rim centers in behind the newbright rim. so here the first pics of how i want it to sit

flybynighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2009, 02:08 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Im glad to see that some one is doing big other than a jeep. I am starting a 1/6 hummer in a Dakar style and a 1/6 rock racer, so I will be watching the progress.

My philosophy is " go BIG or go home!"
cruiserkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Any updates?
Old 01-25-2009, 06:45 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

well heres a few shots of the way the chassis sits as of tonight.

i got the lift made for the shocks to mount to as seen above.
also heres some shots of where (roughly) everything is gonna sit. i got the tranny mount made. im using the stock WK motor plate and got that mounted to an aluminum piece of angle with capped ends to help with strenght.

and finally heres some mock up shots with the chassis inside the body.

any questions or comments feel free to ask or say!! thanks for looking
Old 01-25-2009, 07:41 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Looks like you might want to put some stronger cross braces in the frame. One if pictures show's it warping a bit. Also you are going to have a fairly agressive drive angle. Are you going to clock your diff's?

Just for s&g throw a ruler standing up so we can see posible total heigth.

Keep it up!
Old 01-25-2009, 08:09 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserkb View Post
Looks like you might want to put some stronger cross braces in the frame. One if pictures show's it warping a bit. Also you are going to have a fairly agressive drive angle. Are you going to clock your diff's?

Just for s&g throw a ruler standing up so we can see posible total heigth.

Keep it up!
hey
i got plans for running brake line over the threaded rod in final assembly, but that one that was bent, was bent by me when drilling the lift holes. i was looking at the drive line angles during mock-up and i dont think they will be to bad, as the wheely king diffs point up a little anyway so a little extra will make it good i think.
heres a pick of the with a ruler thats about 12 3/4 long.

and heres to the bottom of the runnning boards.

should be good in the mud!!. total height comes to ~16 inches as do the wheel base
Old 01-25-2009, 08:37 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Damn that thing is massive, I don't think getting high centered will be an issue.
wildcardco1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:55 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

You could also use one of those cheap cutting boards; at the mart; and bolt a piece to the top in the rear. This would add more stability and could be a good platform to place a watter proof box for your electronics if you plan on the MUD!
Old 01-25-2009, 10:16 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

ive been in mud before with out a water proof box.... i used liquid electric tape to seal everything but where the servo output is and haven't had a problem i do plan on having 2, probably 1.5" by 1/8 aluminum plates, one in front and one in back for body mounts so that will be good and stiff. plus i still got to bolt the motor bracket on so itll be good and stiff with the hardbody i think.
yeah when my school was getting remodelled last year (welding colllege with a 7.5 mill reno) i managed to get ahold of 3 pieces of 1/8 aluminum about 7 inches wide and 4 feet long! so i got a bit of that to play with
Old 01-28-2009, 07:28 PM   #10

big pimpin... too bad its a chev! lol
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:10 PM   #11

Nice, very unique.
GHRGRIMREAPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:26 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by header View Post
big pimpin... too bad its a chev! lol
actually, its a GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHRGRIMREAPER View Post
Nice, very unique.
thanks, i like to be different. not that there's anything wrong with any of the jeeps and yotas that are all over this website, i just wanted something different.i got my drive-shafts figured out and stuff for my links so i should have an update or two sometime tomorrow
also i only plan on using these wheels for the winter, when the summer rolls around im gonna try to make it more scale looking with some 2.2s
Old 03-01-2009, 01:42 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

well i got some outside shots of it finally running today so i got kind of a play by play.

here it is first heading onto my bridge so i did a little rti test on my shovel.

so after that i headed off the bridge.

first step, so far so good. but you gotta watch that second step, its a doosie

crap, there goes my roof lights. oh well. so i start my adventure around in the snow.

about 2 feet in i find a footprint hole.

thanks to the locked front and rear and the ultra talented driver i managed to crawl up out of the hole.

well from here in ill let the pics do the talking

Old 03-21-2009, 02:07 AM   #14
~ Got PROPANE ? ~

Nice Yukon
BiG_DaWgZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:05 AM   #15

you need to trim the body a litte and lower it but other than that it looks good
trainboy414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:19 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG_DaWgZ View Post
Nice Yukon
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboy414 View Post
you need to trim the body a litte and lower it but other than that it looks good
i agree 110%, but, i dont plan on keeping these wheels on it, so i didnt want to trim the body to fit these wheels because it would look crappy when i went back to the 2.2. i have a set of 2.2 on the way so they will be going on when they get here and it will be lowered accordingly.

now a few pics of the rock sliders i made for it. i havent been able to touch them yet tho lol. i made them outline the steps because im thinking of doing a full exo.

thanks for looking and questions or comments welcome!

Last edited by flybynighter; 03-22-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #17

nice rock sliders. your going to need some tall sharp rock to get that high centered:-D
trainboy414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:41 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

well i finally got some 2.2s here for it (thank you dinky rc).it looks much better with these wheel on it, i took some pics today just for kicks before lowering it down. here some shots before taking out a scale 14.5 inches in the front and 11 in the back. heres the crappy pics

tell me the truth... do these tires make my ass look big? haha

i had to take 3/4ths out of the front links so i will hopefully have some finished pics of it tomorrow

thanks for looking, comments and questions welcome
Old 04-17-2009, 09:09 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Did you throw those on there so you could get it into the trailer for transport? HAHA!!! Should look more scale with the 2.2 tire combo. Just for fun here is mine.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2009, 09:35 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

ive been watching your builds and those axles and wheels look beastly on the h2. i like the scale look more then a monster truck look myself. ive been doing some researching and my truck is actually 1:7.25 scale according to body wheelbase compaired to the real 1:1 wheelbase. that make 2.2 wheels scale out to 15.95" and the tires (moab currently) scale out to a 34. down the road im gonna look at getting either rock crushers or outcroppers which will scale out to about a 40"

edit: just seen the roc lox that scale out to about a 38 and i really like the looks of those