RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Large Scale Rigs (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/large-scale-rigs/)
-   -   1/6 hummer tow / chase rig Dakar style (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/large-scale-rigs/155252-1-6-hummer-tow-chase-rig-dakar-style.html)

cruiserkb 01-17-2009 04:51 PM

1/6 hummer tow / chase rig Dakar style

3 Attachment(s)
I found this complete 1/6 hummer at goodwill for $15.00 and had to have it. I was looking for a tow rig for the 1/6 rock racer that I am building and this fit the bill.

I started by tearing it down and then began body mock up. I have the driverside done in the rear. I am going to fill bowth the rear door and back side windows, I am not sure if I will fill the rear hatch window or not ( has to carry the tools and spare parts for the racer).

The roof is just mocked up, i'm not sure if I like it or not. I plan on something like it with 5 recessed lights.

Let me know what you think, I am open to sugestions.

Thanks

cruiserkb 01-18-2009 12:32 PM

don't be shy

Come on, I know some one has some feedback. I need some opinions good or bad.

Thanks

heminutt 01-18-2009 04:42 PM

looks good so far i would do the roof difrent in the front like the back

edward87 01-19-2009 03:41 PM

Is this a mutt between a mummy and a hummer?;-)
just pulling your chain, looks good but you really need to update the picture with siome progress."thumbsup"

cruiserkb 01-19-2009 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edward87 (Post 1538326)
Is this a mutt between a mummy and a hummer?;-)
just pulling your chain, looks good but you really need to update the picture with siome progress."thumbsup"

I don't want to commit to anythig just yet, just looking for some input. I should have the front end finished mocked up by tomorow and will start figuring out the chassie as well. I am thinking of going with a full custom interior, it seems that when someone uses a newbright they just slap the original interior back in and they all look the same. What do you think?

Flip 01-19-2009 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruiserkb (Post 1534479)
I found this complete 1/6 hummer at goodwill for $15.00 and had to have it.

Shhhhhhhhh..... keep it down. We don't want to let the secret out.

I also search Goodwill for bodies, some days you come up empty and other days you don't know what to do with them all.

edward87 01-20-2009 08:12 AM

"thumbsup"Well most of the people who slaps the stock interior back inside is becouse they lack creativity making it easier to put it back to stock form.But props on trying to make it diferently.

AIPOHAKU 01-20-2009 11:26 PM

Robby Gordon!!..Too bad he fell alittle short in this years DAKAR but he did well!!!..cant wait to see the finished product!

cruiserkb 01-24-2009 02:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well I got a little more of the body modifications mocked up today.

To start I put a small hump in the middle of the hood to cover the grill in the hood. I plan to make it a functional ram style hood once I get it layed up in fiberglass.

I also worked on the front fenders. I am happy the way the driverside one turned but I think I will redo the pass. side.

Next, I threw on a different style rear fender and I would like some opinions on this one as compared to the origional on the driver side in the above pictures.

Last I layed up the lights how I would like to mount them. Before you ask; YES they each have 9 led's for a total of 45 led's in just the top lights; trust me they are bright. Each set of 9 lights takes 3 AAA bateries, so I will have some wiring to do and I might have to pick out another battery set up for that.
I would like to mould them into the roof some how that looks a little more areodynamic. I want something different than just the standard light bar that I see on every other rig. Any sugestions?

Thanks for the interest, and please don't be afraid to post (especialy the noobie's). Good idea's come from the smallest coments.

Don't mind the tape, it is just a backing for the fiberglass."thumbsup"

offroader613 01-24-2009 06:59 PM

Can't wait to see the tape off

cruiserkb 01-24-2009 07:12 PM

tape is part of the mold. I will fiberglass it and remove from mold and then attach to body. I am thinking of using CA glue and some small bolts ( to simulate zert fasteners ) to hold the new pannels to the existing body.

flybynighter 01-25-2009 06:26 PM

what if you had the roof raised behind the lights so the main body of the light is inside the cab?

looks good so far by the way!

jeepcreep 01-25-2009 06:31 PM

COOL!

I've always liked hummers, and I love rally trucks and TTs, BUT 1/6 RC is just as cool.:)

In my opinion it looks great!"thumbsup" I think that the rear fenders would look nice a little more horizontal.8)

Keep it up! On this and the Rock racer.

(It would be awsome if you did your Hummer and rock racer in matching Robby Gordon, Monster Energy style.)"thumbsup":)

amorton94 01-25-2009 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flybynighter (Post 1577225)
what if you had the roof raised behind the roof behind the lights so the main body of the light is inside the cab?

looks good so far by the way!

What? :?: looks nice so far, those lights are gonna be bright as heck!

cruiserkb 01-25-2009 07:28 PM

I have 3 of the same lights but in polished alum. that I will be turning down on the lathe this week for my racer. If every thing goes as planed I will be cuting these down as well and just be using the first 1", so the taper could start there.

This is going to be the tow rig for the racer and I am still up in the air on that paint skeem. I like the look of the monster rigs but I may have to change from the green logo to the yellow one just to mix things up, or go completely diferent on bowth.

Thanks

flybynighter 01-25-2009 07:44 PM

haha i just reread my post and couldnt understand wtf i said!!! what i meant was, raise the roof behind the light, and mold the lights into the roof and keep it high because it is gonna be a chase rig so you want lots of room for parts right?

....................................... _________________
.......................... ______0.................................l
........................ /................................................l

just ignore the dots.thats what i was trying to say

jeepcreep 02-11-2009 06:29 PM

any new updates?

cruiserkb 02-14-2009 03:15 PM

I have got some filler and have cleaned up the rear fenders some. I just need to get some resin so I can start the rear fenders in fiberglass. I am also in the middle of moving my workspace indoors since it will start getting hot here in AZ soon.

Zuk90 02-16-2009 01:19 PM

What frame/drivetrain/tires will you be runnin underneath this thing? Looks good so far, like the fender flares!

flatfender 02-16-2009 04:25 PM

It's looking good so far, nice to see one of the big ones getting bodywork instead of slapping just a drivetrain and paint job on and calling it good.
whats the plan for running gear?