Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 1/6th NB Rubicon -- Lots of PICS -> help me decide what tires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2009, 07:12 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 1/6th NB Rubicon -- Lots of PICS -> help me decide what tires

Finished building up a New Bright Rubicon. Sorry if alot of these have already been done before.

I've seen several here on RCC and they were all fantastic, had to try building one for myself and had the Clod sitting around to do it with. swapped my stick for some no name chassis and lengthened it with thick aluminum "L" channel. see pics & description below

This is the best i could do... Chassis not perfect, and certainly not the most scale looking chassis. But it extends over the wheels and the wheelbase / trackwidth fits the jeep body just right... and it works. Just bolted the "L" channel to the top of the chassis and 4 links setup for 16in wheelbase. crafted some shock standoffs and bolted that to the channel, that help firm up the extensions too.

-aluminum 4 link somewhat similar to rockbull or NN shape.

-Novak Esc w/Integy 55's, tracgear lockers, etc

-2 HS645MG's

-8 aluminum Savage shocks with full droop suspension, no internal springs (allows good amt of articulation but keeps the body off the tires w/out too tall a ride height)

15lbs 3ozs all-up-weight (she's PORTLY

Jeep body is around 3lb 5oz if i recall correctly.

-RC4WD narrow aluminum 40series beadlocks (front wheels weighted - 1lb 14oz overall per wheel/tire. Rear 1lb 7oz overall per wheel/tire)

-RC4WD aluminum knuckles (shaved for max steering angle)

-front/rear stainless skid plates

-heli radio for fully independent & proportional 4WS

-4200mah 2cell lipo (pretty solid runtime and lightweight)

And finally the tires - - I have a set of MoabXL's and a set of Masher 2K's both sets have been cut down and narrowed to fit the wheels nicely. The XL's are about 1inch taller diameter than mashers and i think they are almost too big for the body, but i do kinda like 'em nonetheless. They should have the advantage of larger diameter tire on the rocks over the Mashers. I narrowed 1/4 inch off of XL's, and cut 1 inch out of Mashers. The mashers will have the advantage of grip on rocks. The rocks out at Nelson's Ledges/Kennedy Ledges Quarry here in N.E. Ohio clearly favor Mashers over Moabs... its just the type of rock i guess and the Mashers grip it better. So i'll be curious to see which does better. I think the mashers will make a steeper ascent better - ride height is set 1/2 inch lower w/mashers on, lower CoG. The Moabs will probably move thru jagged, terrain challenging and dynamic areas better.

I have not gotten it out on terrian yet. But just crawling a few basic test runs over random junk in the basement it goes great. NO tire rubbing, and gets up over stuff nicely, can't wait for better weather.

Here's bunch of pics... Moabs first, then Mashers... A few sneak peeks of the Blackfoot too!

So which is it, Moabs, or Mashers? What do you think looks better? I like them both and can't decide. Might be silly excuse to pick up a set of Axial 40series beadlocks...

Hope you like!
Attached Images

Last edited by WRXronald; 02-15-2009 at 12:16 AM.
WRXronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2009, 07:22 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I really like it what did ya pay for it very nice i know what i want next
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:26 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default hard to say what i paid

the clod i bought awhile back as whole truck. Since then i've changed it several times, to rockbull, to 2.2 stick, to large stick, etc.

The Rubi body i bought off a forum member here for $150 full truck unmolested brand new, i hacked the body off and tossed the rest of course
Old 02-14-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

WW that rig is huge. Very cool though How much does it weigh? I think I like the mashers better than the moabs, however I think the mashers would have looked better if the tread pattern was staggered and not straight across. Some 40 series rock crushers would really set off your build though. Nice work.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Default nice

Nice clod build!! It looks nice and scale to me. Are you going to do any tube work to it? x2 on the 40 series crushers. Clods are great and you can throw them into many different things .Good job!!!
62 bugzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:39 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Default ..

thanks all...

Thanks for tip on the crushers --> but i looked into those. I don't think they would work out - the moabs are 6.9in diameter. the 40series crushers are 8.26in - i full 1.25 inch bigger and already the moabs look a tad large. Those crushers will need 1/5th scale or bigger to look truly scale i would think.

I would love to do some exo-cage -> but my skills are doubtful. Although i just came into a decent dremmel-press (should have had this long ago, great tool) and also an oxygen-acetylene torch. So i think that might put brazing into the picture (the torch)? Still i would have a steep curve to learn it first to be able to build a cage for this thing. Wish i could find a large scale canoe or kyak.

Also was thinking of tucking the servos up in the chassis? But that could leave steering soft? And i love how well it steers now. With the moabs it wasn't great, very 'squishy' in the tires i have the foam star-cut thin and such heavy wheels up front. But then put the moab foam in the masher and it fills 'em better - turns much better, yet grabs when needed.

The mashers would look better staggered - i thought they might crawl better lined up the way they are, but probably not much different. Was thinking of trying a set of Big Joes cut down narrow. They are 6.4inch which is DEAD inbetween the MoabXL and the Masher. Could be just right on tire diameter. Would look cool too cut narrow and on the scale wheel. Biggest issue will be the body scraping rocks. Who's building me an EXO? Ha - i wish.

Ok got the scale out to see for sure. Surprised myself even - 15lbs 3.2oz --- This thing is almost ready for the PBA It was hard to get a perfect reading with the balancing act and snapping pic at same time - but that's right in the ballpark - at times it wanted to go off the scale - not sure i think this thing is rate to read up to 7000grams or 15lbs 1oz -- ??
Attached Images

Last edited by WRXronald; 02-15-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Looks great man, glad the chasis worked out for yah!
350jeepcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Default wheels

i noticed last night the center hubs are removalbe from the New Bright wheels - They happened to fit perfectly in the bead ring's of the rc4wd wheels.

Added set of spare center caps from Axial beadlocks - makes the wheels look a little more realistic i guess. Trying to figure a way to mount them in w/out it being permanent. CA tacs 'em in place but won't hold up on rocks. JB Weld will hold em, but they may never come off then either. If i JB Weld in place, i would have to pull the Bead Rings in order to get the wheels off. The rings go on/off fairly eassily - So i may go that route. Other thought was nix the center caps and drill press a hole in the center of the wheel just big enough to fit the wrench thru to pull the hexes.

i also flipped the servo horn to bring the drag link angle up further under the body.
Attached Images

Last edited by WRXronald; 02-15-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:13 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Hey I remember that jeep. Looks good especially to see it mounted up on a real rc chassis instead of sitting in a container hibernating away.
I had that thing since '03 in a container. (yea i have too many projects).
Glad to see it put to use.
I had no idea about those hubs either.
spiderxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:36 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I got one of those bodies for a build. I'm going to use a pair of Imex Duallies, 4 tires, for the Clod. I'll narrow Clod wheels to fit the tires. Scale wise a Clod wheel is close to a 15" wheel. Also the Nylint 1:6 c`rawler tires will look good on there.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderxx View Post
Hey I remember that jeep. Looks good especially to see it mounted up on a real rc chassis instead of sitting in a container hibernating away.
I had that thing since '03 in a container. (yea i have too many projects).
Glad to see it put to use.
I had no idea about those hubs either.
Well thanks for holding it and keeping it pristine for me Spiderxx!!

I spent a couple weeks working on it (would you believe the first version was sitting on stick chassis but it just would not work due to excessive articulation and tires catching in wheel wells badly.

So my original plan was dashed (bunch of work modding a chassis plate to mate the body to the stick, for nothing).

So then i wheeled and dealed with 350jeepcj5 for his clod chassis, envisioning some aluminum channel to make scale, traded a quality torsion stick to him for his.

Had the 8 savage shocks also laying around collecting dust and wanted to use them in the project. Was going to try and add them for looks only to the stick, but couldn't come up with how.

Once i had 350's chassis - i new i could make all 8 shocks work. They have such long shafts makes for great droop articulation.

Next stop --- How about brushless with twin beast Feiago 8L's and and twin Kontronic JAZZ esc's. (this is more stuff i have sitting here) - but i don't know if the 8L's are lower enough Kv, will be looking next. May try it with a single JAZZ esc - amp-wise no issues i don't think, but can 1 esc run two motors at once? NO OTHER than a JAZZ will even come close i'll say that much.

I know the JAZZ can do it in flight, like on a dual motor airplane --- but being subjected to different loads one motor to the other could be a challenge - i don't know it if will work. That's primarly why i would like to try it and see. First i wanna try it on the rocks with the 55T's though and see how it does. Looking like power will not be an issue so brushless could be a waste of time and resources for now.

i have the day off tomorrow so might try to make it out to Nelson's ledges and see what we see. Hoping the snow is melted and stays away tonight.

Itching to CRAWL with this baby and get some action shots!

Last edited by WRXronald; 02-15-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:14 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

added an extension to the front skid plate. This should help a little with approach on those nasty rocks that wanna grab the body.

i still think i need to nix the front plastic bumper assembly altogether and go with a metal bumper affixed to the chassis. We'll see..

Also notice the little spring retainer ring (taken from the savage shocks) - i JB Welded the ring onto the center cap. The center caps were a bit too small and the ring give them some 'substance'. Also JB Welded the hubs in. Will have to pull the bead ring when i want a wheel off.
Attached Images

Last edited by WRXronald; 02-16-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:14 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Default some vids

These aren't that great, sorry. Was just warming up and busted a rear axle shaft in #5. Once i go up the rock in 5, then back down, then can't get back up the rock... rear driver axle busted.

Have brushless Crawlmasters in it now with twin Hyperion LightstormVX 4s 2500's and Kontronik JAZZ's. 6t pinions -- these motors RIP OUT on 4s!!! Love em, blow away 55T's i think.

still lots of wheelspeed, but plenty slow. Sorry i'm still looking for a 'driver' mod, haven't found one in the 4Sale forum yet

Vid 1 i almost roll it down a nasty rocky incline... caught by a rock after one complete 360.

I'll post up better vids once i get CVD's installed - trying the 8mm axle stub and metal tubes - i can see where the stock axle is going to keep breaking on me. May also scale back the top throttle to 85%. Not to mention i'm dumb and got a little gitty with the throttle stick there in #5. See vid #4 for where i gas it a bit sitting still - its decieving, but that thing will juice it nicely on open ground. With the 9t's, it was borderline WICKED fast (for a crawler). Needed to be slowed down, but actually still crawled great. Once those motors are turning with a tad of speed, they won't stop for anything - if the CVD's don't go, i think the plastic gears may be vulnerable, hope not though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftxp3tF-9mY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCC388vK490

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_Kn09OquWE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSmwelB_Gb4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH9zhWI8gYI

Last edited by WRXronald; 03-18-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:24 AM   #14
~ Got PROPANE ? ~

very nice jeep...love the flexiness....
BiG_DaWgZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:00 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Default ..

Finished overhauling the rubicon this weekend...

Sorry I'm no good at pics along the way, but i've got some finsihed shots on NOSTR and some better vids on youtube now, they could still get better, but are at least alot better than what i had on youtube up until now. Plus the rig looks WAY better with super narrow tires/wheels and the shock boots.

Busted a stock clod axle shaft a few weeks back. So i decided to beef it up. Added hardened steel HR CVD's with beefy 8mm axle stubs. Converted to 17mm 1/8buggy hexes. Took forever for 8x12mm bearings to show to finish the repairs.

So in the meantime i cut and narrowed the Masher 2k's even more than i already had (now super narrow for a 40 series). Also took a cutoff wheel to the supposed 'narrow' rc4wd alum beadlocks and cut those up nice and skinny too, this is how they should be to begin with! The result is a more scale look with this body i think, used JB Weld to bring the wheel pieces back together permanently. Got rid of the center caps on the scale plastic wheel inserts and just drilled a center hole to access the hub. drilled out the wheels as well to fit the 17mm hubs.

I added 16 red shock boots from rc4wd - two per shock- Savage shocks are darn long

went ahead with some alum axle tubes and a couple new knuckles to replace the formerly stripped ones. Nice thing about the axle tubes is they elminate the plastic spacers by making the "C" smaller, and they use thick 5M steel screws so the bending 3M's should be a thing of the past.

I also drilled and tapped the rear knuckles to fit with the 5M's as well. The steering movement with these axle tube C's is MUCH smoother than with the stockers, as it uses a set of brass/teflon bushings to mate the knuckles. So that was a pleasant surprise i wasn't expecting in addition to the steel 5M screws.

The CVD's held up great the first time out today. I've heard good things of them. The part on the stock clod axle shaft that busted was right at the very tip with the dogbone, its a WEAK spot. CVD's done have that so hopefully i'm good, especially with 8mm stubs too. Stock stubs are 6mm.

Thinking of adding 2nd servos to both the front & rear for extra steering torque as my next mod. The JAZZ esc's have really good BEC's so should handle the extra amp draw ok.

Pics of the rig with the narrow tires, shock boots, alum tubes & knuckles are hosted at NOSTR here...
http://nostr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=940

here's vid links (part 9 is probably the best one i guess, 2nd to last one in the list) -->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_OihHVL7sg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC5nx6sYSp0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9GgcRKt0Uk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omHEplUhaJA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq3aPvpxVEQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FXRb_TefJY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES5c6rdQA0M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItLgXcaQgOs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrY4HBNsKqE

Hope you enjoy

Last edited by WRXronald; 04-05-2009 at 06:09 PM.