Notices

Thread: Ranger Prerunner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 02:03 AM   #41
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb5450 View Post
Holey crap! 1/8 Mamba I'm assuming? I didn't realize they where THAT big lol

its not the normal 1/8 scale mamba, its the 1717, castle is makeing a bigger one called the 2025 and it is as big as a soup can
Semi Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2010, 10:59 PM   #42

love the build so far, there just arent enough pre-runner builds out there, and this is looking to be a good one. keep up the good work
Jbird0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #43
RCC Addict

Little more progress. Brazed the front and rear of the frame rails together.

I think this is about where the front of the body would rest on the frame. Some is showing but there is normally a bumper there.

Set the interior back in to see how that is going to work out. It's surprisingly close actually. I'm going to have to cheat the floor boards a little and make room for the frame rails.

I was going to have the transmission mocked up in place with the motor mounted but found out that the 1717 uses 4mm hardware and not the normal 3mm. So it won't mount on the RCM motor mount without modification

Crawln Coles did the tube work on the radius arms for me. They turned out sweet! Thanks Matt!

NickRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:18 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Awsome build so far. I can't wait to start my Ranger build, still waiting on some parts.
venomous98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:17 AM   #45

that setup in the front will be killer
widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:55 AM   #46
RCC Addict

this is going to be a sweet prerunner when done and i really like the links. Crawln Coles does awsome tube work, too.
rocpede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:55 PM   #47

Default body

where did you get that body
badboybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:56 AM   #48
RCC Addict

Sweet! This is gonna be good, now get back on it! :nice:
G-crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #49
Pebble Pounder

nice dude...
keep it up
Nick Slemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:27 PM   #50
Rock Stacker

frickin aye, hurry up! i dont have the skills for this level of fab yet, so i have to drool over this!
slowstang88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #51
RCC Addict

First up was getting the Hyper 7 center diff locked. I only need one output so obviously if I left it the way it was all the power would be transferred to the output with the least load. Here's what I came up with. Tore it all apart and happened to have the output shaft from an E-maxx trans and the spool that's used for shifting.

Then I just trimmed away at that spool with the dremel until it fit snuggly into the carrier.

Assembled it back together and now it's completed locked and I have 6mm outputs ready for drive shafts.

Had to trim more out of the interior than I thought but still not too bad. Won't be able to tell when it's all together. Bumper is a bit higher than previously mocked up but not still reasonable.

Used the dremel to open up the bolt hole slots in the motor mount to 4mm and also trimmed off the side so that it would fit flush on the cross member. Got the cross member together and made some mounts for the motor plate. They're still rough and will get cleaned up and braced.

Here's the transmission in place. Just need to make another cross member for the other trans mount.

Interior in place

Old 01-18-2010, 12:05 PM   #52
RCC Addict

Now for some real progress!

I messed up and flipped the C-hubs the wrong way so the caster angle is wrong on them. I'll have to switch them back around but you get the idea. Everything went together great. Arms are just made from plastic for testing at this point. Worked out well because there are a few changes I need to make just to make assembly cleaner.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #53
Pebble Pounder

looks awesome i like the motor in the front idea then you can stash your battery in the back should have a decent balance umm are you goingto use those wheels and tires??
KrawlerKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:11 PM   #54
Hateraide

the arms look sick are you getting the final ones machined aluminum or you making them?
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #55
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrawlerKing View Post
looks awesome i like the motor in the front idea then you can stash your battery in the back should have a decent balance umm are you goingto use those wheels and tires??
I'm still undecided on the wheels. Those wheels are almost perfectly to scale and they have the correct offset so at this point they are the best ones I have. Obviously they're in need of a cleaning and paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code454 View Post
the arms look sick are you getting the final ones machined aluminum or you making them?
These ones were actually machined by a friend and the final ones will be aluminum that he'll machine too. I think I'm going to powder coat the final ones black.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:07 PM   #56
RCC Addict

those TTB arms are cool, can't wait to see it done, so hurry up. LOL !!!
rocpede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:22 PM   #57
Quarry Creeper

WOW! I need a set for my Ranger build.
venomous98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:01 AM   #58
RCC Addict

Well this is just a teaser because I ran out of oxygen for the torch.....

Frame mount attached for the beam.

Radius arm mount. Thinking about maybe attaching this on the side of the frame rail intsead so it's not hanging down to catch on things? What do you guys think? My only worry is that the radius arm will be at a pretty extreme angle at drop out which might pull the beam back towards the chassis.

Definitely needs fender work now

Some drop out action

Going to have to tweak the radius arms some. They are causing the beam to have the wrong caster. If I just shorten the top rod end on the radius arm it should bring back the caster correctly.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:48 AM   #59
Pebble Pounder

Caster's a continuously changing element in this design, obviously, but yeah... I think you're on the right track keeping the radius arm mount where you have it (especially if you move it up you'll REALLY screw up your caster). It may catch on things but it's not like it's sticking out to hang on anything: if it gets hung on a rock, as it moves forward the truck would be sitting on the radius arm first and then would drop onto the mount, and then drop again to the frame. Nothing really to hang up on.

Looking fantastic!
ugly duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:37 AM   #60
RCC Addict

Ok that sounds good. I knew the radius arm would be at a more extreme angle I raised the mount which would have put me in a more sever change in caster through out the motion of the beam so that works. I did some looking and this is actually how they are mounted on the real trucks anyway.