Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 1/4 Scale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2009, 03:09 PM   #1

Default 1/4 Scale

Hey Guys,

I have been looking at getting into this hobby for several years and have finally decided to take the plunge. I am interested in 1/4 scale monster trucks. Have been looking for some good referrence sites for ideas, help, direction.

Found this site and really enjoy it. Learning alot here but would like to do same 1/4 scale stuff.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Preacher
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

There is a guy on you tube that has been building a 1/4 scale Gravedigger. He has it broken down into quite a few videos that show a lot of the process. Might look for some info.

Here is part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFFx27bthCM
cruiserkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:50 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Just that motor alone is like $3000-$5000!! They are pretty cool though.........
Pintokiller79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:06 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

i think the biggest commercially available scale axle is from RC4WD.com...it's a 1/5th scale Yota axle,,otherwise they also have MOA's that are that big in the Super Bully's,,chech their site out,,oh and also "new era models" deals in big stuff too
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:57 PM   #5

Default Thanks

Thanks for this info. I will look into these sites.

Have a Blessed Thanksgiving!

Preacher
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Thanks for this info. I will look into these sites.

Have a Blessed Thanksgiving!

Preacher
Depending on how big your lookin for,,, not sure if this works for u but i found MOA axles on ebay that where meant for those old people runabout chairs. Im using them on my current project. 2ft wide the axles are,,the crawler will be 4ft long.
Twisted Links is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:26 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Links View Post
Depending on how big your lookin for,,, not sure if this works for u but i found MOA axles on ebay that where meant for those old people runabout chairs. Im using them on my current project. 2ft wide the axles are,,the crawler will be 4ft long.
are you doin build thread?
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post
are you doin build thread?
I could do that. Still gettin parts together,, I only just bought the axles so far. I'm tryin to learn Solid Works so I can make a plan of attack. Each axles is design to move some 300lb. dude around and up hills,, so i think it should be very strong axle for rc. O ya,, both axles only ran me 100.00!!!
Old 11-26-2009, 09:36 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Try looking up New Era they have a slew of 1/4 scale r/c ...
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:24 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Do you have a link for them on ebay? Or at least the MFG name? I'm interested to see what they look like. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Links View Post
I could do that. Still gettin parts together,, I only just bought the axles so far. I'm tryin to learn Solid Works so I can make a plan of attack. Each axles is design to move some 300lb. dude around and up hills,, so i think it should be very strong axle for rc. O ya,, both axles only ran me 100.00!!!
sdcrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:03 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcrawls View Post
Do you have a link for them on ebay? Or at least the MFG name? I'm interested to see what they look like. Thanks!

The transaxle itself is 24 1/2 tip to tip. 3/4" slotted keyway axles. The axles are 4 1/8" from the mounting area to the end of the threads.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Those look fun, they also look like they'd fit under a small gokart I have sitting in my garage.
sdcrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:40 PM   #13

i think the better site you'd be looking for is www.quarterscalelegends.com (sorry if im not allowed to post other forums overhere)
sk8freak123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:53 PM   #14
JLF
Quarry Creeper

Those axles are going to be a great start to a huge rig!

Im looking forward to this build!
JLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:06 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Default huge diff

I made a small size kids dunebuggy for my son and used a wheelchair diff and motor which looks like what you have and it was great. I used 2 small car batterys in series for 24v and offroad wagon wheels. I also used rear hatch car shocks for shocks 2 per wheel. It was ibeam in the front and in the back to be able to change gearing and have suspension i had the diff like your solid mounted in the chassis and ran 2 bike chains (1 on each end) down to the drive axle and I could change sproketts for more or less speed . It had about 6 in travel in front and rear. To run the motor I just used 2 switches 1 was on off for gas and the second was for 12v or 24v which was fast and faster. My son would hit the gas with his foot to turn on the motor and go on 12v and then pull lever like a shifter to change voltage. He drove it from 18months to 3 years and loved it, In 24v it would haul me around with him driving and I weigh 260 lbs and if I tried to stop it if he was driving away I couldn't do it so it had tons of torque. Well thought some of this might help and I'll see if I have any pictures of it. Good luck with your project and maybe you'll be able to rock crawl with a child passanger?!!!?? haha Good luck
62 bugzilla is offline   Reply With Quote