Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Just another 1/6 Chevy SS build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 01:23 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Just another 1/6 Chevy SS build

Hey fellas. This will be my first 'scale' rig build. Im starting off with the infamous Chevy SS 1/6 scale body. I bought it from the for sale forums on this site. It is already wired with a ton of led lights.

Next, for my axles, I was going to use the 1/5 scale Yota axles, but i think im gonna try something else (to save cash). I have a massive RC collection, so as a donor vehicle, im going to use this.. Dont know what it is, but it looks pretty stout. I actually have 3 of these, so spare parts will be aplenty.

And, I will be towing a 1980's classic 37" Shell Oil Racing Nitro Boat. Currently rebuilding the Nitro Motor, so the internals are missing from photos along with the canopy. The boat, trailer, and truck will all be painted to match (not sure on colors or scheme yet). This entire project will be 6 feet long.

So, now for the professional opinions.. I really want to run a gas motor, but I live at 10,000 feet so altitude really affects Nitro. So, my other option is a Stihl Weed Eater Motor. Should really get this truck moving! But, then I gotta figure out what transmission to use. So, any opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks!
savagefromthesprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2010, 01:28 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Here is a small portion of my collection..
Old 02-18-2010, 03:53 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

go with the gas engine, im working on a 1/5 scale staight axle 2speed gasser right now .
12voltfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

have you started on the motor yet? I built the chassis last night, so its a roller now (pictures in a bit). Now i am wondering how to mount the motor and how to hook it to my transmission (going with a savage tranny for now).
Old 02-18-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

here are some pics of the rolling chassis. There will be an internal roll cage so it will be beefed up pretty good. Maybe not as scale as most would shoot for, but im really building this as a basher/tow rig for the boat. Does anyone know where this chassis/axles come from? like i said, i have 3 of these nitro truck (well, 1 now). just wondering what kind they are.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

can someone please tell me what the axles im using came from??
Old 02-18-2010, 09:08 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Thats a Duratrax Thunder Quake Nitro Monster truck...looks good so far!
RCWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:07 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Do you think the axles will be strong enough for weed eater motor/savage tranny?
Old 02-19-2010, 11:00 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

your crazy man! looks like its gonna be a fun little (big) truck! lol you by chance still have those 2.2 parts you were gonna hook me up with? also you should post a pic of your little pit! i wanna see how big that little girl has gotten!
kronik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:59 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

no more 2.2 stuff bro. trading off a bunch of my nitro rigs for electric on RCU. Here is the pup. Bayla is 8 months old now.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

damn, shes grown alot! lol shes beautiful!
Old 02-21-2010, 05:55 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

yeah, thanks. she is 8 months old and 56 pounds. I figure full grown she will be around 70. But she is so short and stocky that I think her weight fits her well.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:57 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

ok, a few updates..
Here is the motor that I am using in my project. Ryobi 18cc

Dropped the gas tank, flipped the motor and mocked up where I needed it to sit.

Mounted up the tranny and motor with Delrin, added a spur gear and a huge gear for my electric start. And disassembled the motor and cleaned it up a bit.

I had to raise the motor so the rear driveshaft would make it from the tranny all the way back.

Here is my electric start setup Next is mounting up the electric motor.

tossed out the 'factory' exhaust and decided im going to run this one straight out, under the rear bumper.

wheels mounted.

Body mounted.

Had to remove the inner bed and rear glass for clearance.

this is what im shooting for.. we will see!
Old 02-26-2010, 05:32 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I guess once I hit 2000 posts and kiss ass on everyone elses builds, then I may get some feedback on mine. No point in posting anymore progress really.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:34 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagefromthesprings View Post
I guess once I hit 2000 posts and kiss ass on everyone elses builds, then I may get some feedback on mine. No point in posting anymore progress really.
keep up with the updates! im watchin! im just waiting for some video!!! i wanna see that thing run!
Old 02-26-2010, 06:50 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

In another week or so, it will be up and running. Got my electric starter mounted up and running. Now I have to make driveshafts, find a place for the fuel tank and electronics, and im waiting on a 1/4 scale servo for the steering (and gotta find a place to mount that as well). Alot of hours in this build so far and I havent even TOUCHED the body yet!
Old 02-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagefromthesprings View Post
In another week or so, it will be up and running. Got my electric starter mounted up and running. Now I have to make driveshafts, find a place for the fuel tank and electronics, and im waiting on a 1/4 scale servo for the steering (and gotta find a place to mount that as well). Alot of hours in this build so far and I havent even TOUCHED the body yet!
lol, im just hoping you can keep that thing rubber side down! i wish i had the extra parts laying around to make something like that!!!!
Old 02-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

How did you get that pinion on the motor? I have a giant 30lbs 1/5 scale sitting here and cant find a good way to power it, this may be it.
Silversamps85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:36 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

the clutch has a hole that just happened to be the same size as the pinion. I cut off an inch of a allen wrench that fit perfect. Tapped a small hole in the allen wrench for the set screw and a small hole in the clutch side for another set screw. Just happened to work out perfect. I admit, its not something a 'professional' RC fabricator would do, but it works. So far, all i have invested in this truck is $60 and that was for the body itself. Add another $25 for the 1/4 scale servo from ebay, and thats gonna be about it. I have my own electronics, tank, etc. This will be a budget build for real. Im wondering how well this thing is gonna run with the savage tranny.

Last edited by savagefromthesprings; 02-26-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:41 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

man i cant wait to see that sucker in action
muddbogger is offline   Reply With Quote