Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Savage 1/5 scale crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 02:44 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Savage 1/5 scale crawler

Hey. So ive always like the idea of a gas 1/5 scale crawler but cbf making everything. So my thinking with this is to start with a solid platfrom and convert it to a crawler. I used to have a savage which was a very robust and reliable truck. I have also seen one converted to gas and many converted to 1/5 scale. So my thought was to stretch the chassis to 1/5 scale jeep, putting a gasser in the back, a fuel tank in the front and solid axles underneath. It means I could use off the shelf chassis, original gearbox and radio box and would hopefully make everything easier.
Id need to fab motor mount, linkage and fuel tank.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.
motas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2011, 02:50 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

i'm still a crawler noob, so i can't comment on how it'd work, but it'd sure be cool to see done! i do know that engine powered crawlers would be really hard on the clutch and brakes, so that's something to think about.
ohh EPiC FAiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:58 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thats mostly nitro engines youve been hearing about im sure. Gas engines are much lower revving, higher torque and cooler than nitros. It is very possible to gear it correct for a gas engine and keep it cool enough to work properly.
Savages seem to have a very similiar chassis design to crawlers with the tvp and im hoping a savage gear box/transfer case would hold up to the torque with a billet case. Plus im sure i could mount a 4 link to a skid plate and bolt the diffs straight on to the shock mounts.
Thanks.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I say go for it . That beeing said still lots of fab work to do . Check out my build it mite be helpful
Project Vitamin "G"
bigger is better
12voltfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Ive done some research and basically whats needed is to chop the top rear of the tvp off and mount the motor on top of that. Run that through two pairs of gears to reach the gearbox. Then through custom length dogbones or cvs to the diffs. Axles in theory should be able to mount straight to the shocks. Fuel tank and radio gear goes in front of the gearbox where theres plenty of room once its been stretched.
Just not sure wether the gearbox would hold up to it. Might need to put all metal in it.
Thanks.
PS how does yours crawl 12voltfun? Also any temp issues?
Old 09-28-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

no temp problems the tranny gears were the problem there all steel now and been working good . it will crawl good in first gear and goes about 25 or 30 in 2nd gear . the revo axles are taking a beeting , i use a slipper on the revo tranny to save parts
12voltfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I think the gearbox case will be the weak point since insides full steel. Was planning on yota axles for a more scale look.
Also about to order my first crawler to see if I actually like it. Ax10 with all wheel steer.
Thanks.