Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs
Loading

Notices

Thread: 1:6 Dragon Jeep Conversion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Spring, Texas
Posts: 697
Default 1:6 Dragon Jeep Conversion

Today, I started one of the popular 1:6 Willy's Jeep conversions. I began with a Dragon model and have been using whatever I have on hand to make it into an RC.

Killer transfer case on the frame. I used screws in key places to give the frame some strength.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/t...Beginning1.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/t...Beginning2.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/t...Beginning3.jpg

The leaf springs are part of a 1:10 scale conversion that I originally bought for my Axial AX10, but they fit so nicely on this model that I had to use them. Since the frame rails are split in the middle, I filled the gaps with nuts so that I could tighten everything down without breaking the plastic.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/t...Beginning5.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/t...Beginning4.jpg

Even though this frame is wider than the 1:10 chassis that they came with, I was able to change the axle mounting configuration so that everything still lines up with the holes in the top of the axles.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/t...Beginning6.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/t...Beginning7.jpg

Last edited by Alpha Male; 07-10-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Alpha Male is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2010, 11:21 PM   #2
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Spring, Texas
Posts: 697
Default

The axles center well and I don't have to figure out a four link suspension. Yay!

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/t...Beginning8.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/t...Beginning9.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/t...eginning10.jpg

These are the wheels and tires from my AX10. They are a good fit, but the axles are not wide enough for the front wheels to turn, so I ordered some Hot Racing extensions. When they arrive, I should be able to actually turn this puppy, but until then.....

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/t...eginning11.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/t...eginning12.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/t...eginning13.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/t...eginning14.jpg
Alpha Male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Spring, Texas
Posts: 697
Default

I was worried about finding shocks that were the right length so that I would not have to cut into the body, but I happened to have a set that I used on a Tamiya CC01, which work well with the leaf springs. I know that I will not have great articulation with this set-up, but I want it to be more of a runner rather than an actual rock crawler. Again, I used nuts in the frame when I mounted the shocks, to take up the space.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/t...eginning15.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/t...eginning16.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/t...eginning17.jpg
Alpha Male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:25 AM   #4
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Riverside , Ca
Posts: 55
Thumbs up

Lookin' killer so far! Keep it up!
Tryker46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:38 AM   #5
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Spring, Texas
Posts: 697
Default

Thanks!

I went ahead and painted the downstairs flat black.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/t...ackChassis.jpg
Alpha Male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:58 AM   #6
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United States of the Offended
Posts: 1,184
Default

YAY!!! Another leaf sprung Willys. Great job so far, keep it up.
DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Spring, Texas
Posts: 697
Default

Thanks! The leaf springs are going to work out pretty well, but the plastic frame rails are probably not. I'll have to try to make my own.

This model has no bottom in the engine bay so I'll have to go to the hobby shop and get some plastic card to make my own. In the mean time, my axle extensions came in (gotta love fast shipping!) and they will help a lot with the footprint of the truck and turning radius.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/t...Extensions.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/t...xtensions1.jpg
Alpha Male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #8
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Spring, Texas
Posts: 697
Default

The steering wheel on this Jeep will turn with the front wheels, with G.I. Joe's hand and arm pulled along with it. The good thing about this scale is that the driver's body is big enough to hold a small servo. This guy's head will turn with the wheels and steering wheel. I certainly don't claim the idea as my own, but I had to figure it out for myself, so that has to count for something.

http://s601.photobucket.com/albums/t...ingtheHead.mp4

I fumbled through this and didn't take any pictures of the tedious trial and error process. I did make a simple document to show how I did it, in case anyone else wants to try the same thing. It isn't great, but you get the idea.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/t.../servohead.jpg
Alpha Male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:31 AM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Male View Post
The steering wheel on this Jeep will turn with the front wheels, with G.I. Joe's hand and arm pulled along with it. The good thing about this scale is that the driver's body is big enough to hold a small servo. This guy's head will turn with the wheels and steering wheel. I certainly don't claim the idea as my own, but I had to figure it out for myself, so that has to count for something.

http://s601.photobucket.com/albums/t...ingtheHead.mp4

I fumbled through this and didn't take any pictures of the tedious trial and error process. I did make a simple document to show how I did it, in case anyone else wants to try the same thing. It isn't great, but you get the idea.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/t.../servohead.jpg

I like the idea about the turning head, i will keep that in mind on my futur project.
Did it work as planned ??
JEANROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #10
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Spring, Texas
Posts: 697
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEANROCK View Post
I like the idea about the turning head, i will keep that in mind on my futur project.
Did it work as planned ??
The head action servo is great. I ran into a snag as far as the transmission for the Jeep, so the whole project is stalled and I haven't tested the electronics completely, yet. The only possible problem I foresee is that the servo in the doll might not turn the same direction as the steering servo, when used with a 'Y' harness. If that is the case, he will look the wrong way when the wheels turn, so I will probably have to switch the wires on the steering servo's motor to change its polarity. Once they are in sync it should be all good.

I'm also considering adding another servo to shift the gear stick with his hand attached, of course.
Alpha Male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #11
0 0
 
romulus22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: FT. Thomas
Posts: 1,830
Default

use the IMG code so we don't have to click on links
romulus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:25 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Peoria,AZ
Posts: 166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by romulus22 View Post
use the IMG code so we don't have to click on links
+1 it is alot easier for those who are lazy like me...
rcfreak363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:13 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lakehood, Crawlerado
Posts: 2,604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by romulus22 View Post
use the IMG code so we don't have to click on links
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Male View Post
Today, I started one of the popular 1:6 Willy's Jeep conversions. I began with a Dragon model and have been using whatever I have on hand to make it into an RC.

Killer transfer case on the frame. I used screws in key places to give the frame some strength.







The leaf springs are part of a 1:10 scale conversion that I originally bought for my Axial AX10, but they fit so nicely on this model that I had to use them. Since the frame rails are split in the middle, I filled the gaps with nuts so that I could tighten everything down without breaking the plastic.





Even though this frame is wider than the 1:10 chassis that they came with, I was able to change the axle mounting configuration so that everything still lines up with the holes in the top of the axles.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Male View Post
The axles center well and I don't have to figure out a four link suspension. Yay!







These are the wheels and tires from my AX10. They are a good fit, but the axles are not wide enough for the front wheels to turn, so I ordered some Hot Racing extensions. When they arrive, I should be able to actually turn this puppy, but until then.....







Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Male View Post
I was worried about finding shocks that were the right length so that I would not have to cut into the body, but I happened to have a set that I used on a Tamiya CC01, which work well with the leaf springs. I know that I will not have great articulation with this set-up, but I want it to be more of a runner rather than an actual rock crawler. Again, I used nuts in the frame when I mounted the shocks, to take up the space.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Male View Post
Thanks!

I went ahead and painted the downstairs flat black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Male View Post
Thanks! The leaf springs are going to work out pretty well, but the plastic frame rails are probably not. I'll have to try to make my own.

This model has no bottom in the engine bay so I'll have to go to the hobby shop and get some plastic card to make my own. In the mean time, my axle extensions came in (gotta love fast shipping!) and they will help a lot with the footprint of the truck and turning radius.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Male View Post
The steering wheel on this Jeep will turn with the front wheels, with G.I. Joe's hand and arm pulled along with it. The good thing about this scale is that the driver's body is big enough to hold a small servo. This guy's head will turn with the wheels and steering wheel. I certainly don't claim the idea as my own, but I had to figure it out for myself, so that has to count for something.

http://s601.photobucket.com/albums/t...ingtheHead.mp4

I fumbled through this and didn't take any pictures of the tedious trial and error process. I did make a simple document to show how I did it, in case anyone else wants to try the same thing. It isn't great, but you get the idea.

It's almost like magic... All you have to do is when you are copying the link from Photobucket, copy the [img] code instead. That way when you paste it here, we can all see what you are doing.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Male View Post
The head action servo is great. I ran into a snag as far as the transmission for the Jeep, so the whole project is stalled and I haven't tested the electronics completely, yet. The only possible problem I foresee is that the servo in the doll might not turn the same direction as the steering servo, when used with a 'Y' harness. If that is the case, he will look the wrong way when the wheels turn, so I will probably have to switch the wires on the steering servo's motor to change its polarity. Once they are in sync it should be all good.

I'm also considering adding another servo to shift the gear stick with his hand attached, of course.
WOW! this going to be interesting, please post some pictures or video when you get it done. I would shure like to see it in action..
JEANROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:43 AM   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: TAIWAN
Posts: 20
Default Dragon willys chassis cad

Hi~
THIS IS DRAGON WILLYS CHASSIS CAD
IF YOU NEED THE CAD FILE,
I CAN MAIL IT TO YOU.


Last edited by way6317; 08-01-2010 at 11:51 AM.
way6317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #16
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: in a grass shack
Posts: 55
Default

Any updated on this build?
kalani1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #17
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 1
Default

Wicked build... going to following a similar idea. Just got my model in, now time to figure out how I want to build this. Trying to figure if I can make two chassis... one for wheeling, one for parades Any word if that CAD is still available, as I might cut my own chassis.
Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #18
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tomball
Posts: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
It's almost like magic... All you have to do is when you are copying the link from Photobucket, copy the [img] code instead. That way when you paste it here, we can all see what you are doing.
Thanks I was tired of clicking!!!
Looks good Alpha
I live right around the corner from you in Tomball
-TC5racer- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:54 AM   #19
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: new zealand
Posts: 3
Default Please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by way6317 View Post
Hi~
THIS IS DRAGON WILLYS CHASSIS CAD
IF YOU NEED THE CAD FILE,
I CAN MAIL IT TO YOU.

Hi can you please send me the PDF for this chassis.I'm building my truck but would like to get this chassis made from alloy or steel.You can send it to ( springmoer@gmail.com ). Nice build keep it up.
bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com