Notices

Thread: Finally starting my 1/6th Willys MB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2010, 07:33 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonsATV View Post
Looking good Walter!

I haven't touched mine since the last Bobrocks, guess I'll have to tear into mine this winter and give it it's finishing touches since it's been throughly tested.
Thanks Don. I think Bob is counting on both of our Jeeps to be used as winching anchor points for the Pumpkin Run, so get it ready!
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Here's another small update. I fabricated some grab handles from 3/16th steel rod to replace the flimsy plastic ones that came with the Jeep. I've already cracked the body in a few places from banging into rocks, so hopefully these grab handles will be functional and bang up the rocks!

I used 2-56 hardware to attatch the bars to the body, they should be sturdy enough to endure the abuse I give this Jeep. I also figured out a way to use a real tail light lense to make real reflectors/tail lights. Look close at the last pic, it's a real lense in the body!

Thanks to KaeTwo for the new antenna!

Last edited by BigSki; 12-04-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:50 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

looking awesome
mar618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Here's a few more updates. I have it torn apart right now doing body work and getting ready for paint and final assembly. I'm trying something that I haven't seen anyone else do yet, diamond plate corner wraps and step covers. I also built a bikini top to keep Joe from getting snowed on.

Enjoy!
Old 12-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Lookin good Walter!!!
DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:23 PM   #26
RCP CRAWLERS

love the details
nice metal bars too!
ZoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:30 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonsATV View Post
Lookin good Walter!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSo View Post
love the details
nice metal bars too!
Thanks guys! The metal bars scale out to 1 1/8" diameter!! but they shouldn't bend... I'm hoping to leave some marks on the rocks. I still want to fab some skids for the pumpkins like ZoSos' crew has on their Jeeps.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:46 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Here's a bit of some more work. I had to have a functioning steering wheel. I know it's not an original idea, but I don't care- it's just cool!

I had the hardest time making a damn circle out of the 1/8th rod stock, but I finally figured it out. I made the steering shaft from brass, the hub on the steering wheel is threaded so the jam nut will keep it from ever coming loose and it looks almost the same as the original plastic part.

I have to get a piece of brass tubing tomorrow, then I can assemble the steering column and set it in the jeep. I'll just solder on a tab at the end of the shaft for the micro servo to attach to and it should be finished.

I'm having a heck of a time figuring out what color to paint this Jeep- feel free to toss out some suggestions!
Old 12-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

A few more steering updates, I'll let the pics tell the story.

Next is to mount the micro servo and make a linkage to the steering shaft.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Looking really good, must be the Sierra Nevada brewery powering the creativity...
mmbackpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:11 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbackpacker View Post
Looking really good, must be the Sierra Nevada brewery powering the creativity...
The local beer store was stocked to the rafters with Sam Adams Octoberfest, I'll be able to drink that beer all winter long

I tried the water based acrylic model train paints this time just to see how durable they are. The primer went on very well, it didn't stink up the entire house and it cleaned up with warm water and Dawn. I like it so far.

I hand brushed Floquil 'Bright Silver' on places that are likely to get real scratches so that a silver color shows through when the top coat gets scraped off.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:05 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Looking good and your steering wheel came out killer!

What about a medium metallic blue for the color or Tamiya has a cool flat blue?
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:35 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Some more updates, I have it back to a running rig for now. I have lights in place but I need to find a spot to hide the cell phone battery, I ran out of room under the hood when I re-powered the Jeep. Some more about that subject- I only had 4-5 runs on the Jeep and I had to rebuild the R2 once and the 'killer t-case' once, needless to say I wasn't too impressed with the lack of durability w/ those components.

I switched to the proven AX-10 tranny under the hood and a Disruptor t-case to get the final gear reduction. ZoSo's crew has been using the Disruptors for a while w/ no failures, so I thought it was worth a try. Maybe there's a market to be found for bullet proof drivetrain parts for the heavy, large scale builds.

The biggest issue with the drivetrain change was the drive shaft between the tranny and t-case, I had to modify a splined MIP shaft to make it shorter. I couldn't believe the amount of work and equipment it took to shorten a small drive shaft, I was fortunate to have a lathe, tooling and a torch to make it happen. The shafts are made from solid rod, so I had to cut the shaft in half, bore a hole into it, press in the splined section and then braze it with bronze rod.

The rig is now a LOT quieter w/ the AX-10 tranny and it just seems to be a lot smoother overall. I'm happy with the results so far, I should be able to drive it the snow tomorrow and shoot some video.

Here is the modded drive shaft.

Here is the Disruptor t-case.

Under the hood with the AX-10 tranny. Things are more cluttered than w/ the R2, but I'm looking for reliability so I'll deal with the mess!

New color, it's starting to grow on me..

Thanks for looking!
Old 12-26-2010, 04:34 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Rig looks great and I'm liking the new color!
Old 12-27-2010, 09:48 AM   #35
RCP CRAWLERS

looks great...... love the orange and the rims and tires
ZoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #36
RCC Addict

Lookin real good. I like the metal grab handles idea....I've lost/replaced several myself.
I think I'll be seeling that idea.
reddevildemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:02 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmuzz1 View Post
Rig looks great and I'm liking the new color!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSo View Post
looks great...... love the orange and the rims and tires
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevildemo View Post
Lookin real good. I like the metal grab handles idea....I've lost/replaced several myself.
I think I'll be seeling that idea.

Thanks guys! I think this is one of those builds that will never be truly 'finished', it's so easy to keep detailing a large scale model.

reddevildemo- feel free to copy those grab bars, I had a blast making them. I turned the work bench into a miniature black smith shop, those were all hot forged. I also made my winch hook from the same 3/16" steel rod.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:46 PM   #38
RCC Addict

Looks awesome Walter, love the orange!!
DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Here's another small update. It needed more lights up front but I was scratching my head as to where to place the lights, I didn't want them getting smashed. When I dumped my pile of SCX-10 light buckets on the work bench, I noticed the 'canister' style buckets and it gave me an

This worked out well. The lights can't get smashed, they light up the ground in front of the Jeep ( 18 candella rating!) and it looks cool (IMO). The 3mm LEDS have a 60* view and are rated for 4Vf, so I didn't need any resistors because I'm using an old 3.7V cell phone battery for all of the lighting.

Last edited by BigSki; 01-05-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

The lights look great!

After I rework my front bumper I'm going to have to start working on lights as well.