Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Finally starting my 1/6th Willys MB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Finally starting my 1/6th Willys MB

I've been wanting to start this build for more than a year, and it's on the list for builds to get completed but after watching vids from ZoSo and his Cali friends, seeing 'DONSatv' jeep in person, seeing Metal Mashers Jeep in person and watching a bunch of great build threads, I finally got my a$$ in gear, moved this build to the top of the list and started some mocking up.

Here's a pic of the narrowed Flat Irons and narrowed Traxxas Rustler wheels on AX-10 axles. The tires scale out to about 28" tall.

Here it is w/ Proline Chisels and narrow RC4WD wheels. These tires scale out to about 33" tall.

I like the way it looks with both sets of tires and wheels. The first pic it looks like a stock jeep that could still do really well off road. The second pic looks like it's ready for the Rubicon trail! I'll need to use WK axles to gain enough clearance for a turning radius, but that isn't a problem.

Give me some feedback on how you feel about the 2 different ways I can go with this.

Last edited by BigSki; 07-09-2010 at 10:33 PM.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Looks good! I just started a 1:6 Willy's build myself. I like the first set of wheels and tires, myself. Are you going for a military look with the paint or what? I'm thinking about a totally restored version for mine; dark blue and black trim.
Alpha Male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:08 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I would go with the first set. Looks allot better than some of these over-sized tire ones. You could possibly stretch a set of 1.9 flashpoints over the rims. Or possibly do a cut and shut set to make them 2.2.

Keep up posted.
cruiserkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:27 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

The first set of wheel look better IMO.
tklatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
RCP CRAWLERS

narrowed flat irons look good
I've been looking at the tall thin tires roxlox or crushers
mainly for the axle ground clearence.

the chisels tend to push...not enough sidewall
ZoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the feedback guys. The smaller tires are actually starting to get my attention but we'll see.. I should have my Atlas II t-case by Tuesday, so I can busy with the drive train layout. I thought I'd go buy a G.I. Joe action figure on Saturday to sit in the jeep so I could start bending the tubing for the roll cage, much to my surprise the 12" tall Joes aren't made any more...

WTF is up with that? What kind of toys do boys play with these days? I had to buy a Joe off of flea-bay along w/ some clothes.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:07 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Here's a few update shots. It's been almost too hot in the basement to get much work done lately. I got some WK axles underneath of the Jeep now, I like them better than the AX-10 axles for this build. I had to install M3 heli-coils into the mounting holes on the RC4WD t-case because they were improperly machined at the factory...

What else... I got some tubing to start building a roll cage, and still trying to figure out how to mount the rear shocks so that they are visible, yet out of the way of everything.

You can see how I beefed up the chassis by epoxying 1/4" square styrene into the open area, and how I beefed up the stock t-case cross member. Everything is nice and solid, so it should hold up to the amount of abuse I have in mind for this rig!

Here is my generic G.I. Joe, I kept getting outbid on the real Joes, so I picked up this dude for $1, plus $4 shipping.

I'm off to the basement 'design studio' to get some more work done.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:17 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

OK, time for a short update. I finished the roll cage, it went pretty well except for burning the living sh*t out of my left thumb, which accidently bumped into a glowing hot tube that I just finished brazing!

The cage is mounted solid, it just needs to be painted. I have to order some bearings for the R2 tranny, I messed up one of them as I was attempting to 'mirror' the tranny to keep the 35T motor close to the pass. side fender.

I used Stampede drives hafts for the front and rear and I'll use an old MIP shaft to connect the R2 to the Killer T-case. I decided to use 2.2 RokLox and the white steel wheels.

It's getting closer to running, hopefully just a few more weeks.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:30 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Looking good!!! Can't wait to have another Willys to wheel with.
DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #10
RCP CRAWLERS

looks great..... the rok lox will work great.
I finally got the rock crushers and like them a lot.
I need to repair my cage and front stinger, too many miles.

Don....post some vids when you guys get together.

Last edited by ZoSo; 08-10-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSo View Post
looks great..... the rok lox will work great.
I finally got the rock crushers and like them a lot.
I need to repair my cage and front stinger, too many miles.

Don....post some vids when you guys get together.

Thanks! Your vids have been my main inspiration to finish this project, I may have to cash in my flier miles for a ticket to go crawl with you guys!

I borrowed a set of the RokLox from a buddy to see how they looked on the Willys- they are the PERFECT tire for these builds, tall and skinny. Of course my buddy had the newest Vanquish wheels, but I can't afford those so the stamped steel white wagon wheels will have to do for now.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:09 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Here's a short update, I want to keep up with it as much as possible because I see that the thread is still getting looked at.

I got the Willys running. It isn't anywhere near finished, but I needed to make it move just to keep my motivation high.

I got the white steelies and the 2.2 RokLox. I attempted to use the RC4WD white 'scale' shocks but I couldn't stand the way they operated, the standard springs were too stiff and the 'soft' springs were too soft so I used some Proline Power Strokes that I had laying around. They seem to work a lot better, but I think I'm going to end using SCX-10 shocks, I'll just buy the aluminum bodies for them. I'm still dialing in the 'perfect' pinion gear for the R2 tranny, the 15 tooth gear made the jeep a bit too fast and the 8 tooth gear that comes with it is a bit too slow, so I'll buy a 10 and 12 tooth and see where that gets me.

Here's a few pics I took tonight.

I've started to remove the dirt 'weathering' that Hasbro was so kind to include with the jeep. I just use 90% rubbing alcohol and some Q-tips, the dirt paint comes right off so it must be acrylic based.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #13
RCP CRAWLERS

looks great....you're welcome to come out anytime...we've got at least
12 Willys running in the club and looking to start building a few to sell.
I'll post them in the for sale section....also starting to make cages, stingers and sliders....hope there's a demand.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:25 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I bet it would be an incredible site to see a dozen of these things running around at the same time! Good luck with the parts for these, the few people who have seen this really like it, and then the immediate question is always: where can I buy one? No one wants to hear that they have to build it...
Old 08-22-2010, 03:16 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Just a heads up ZoSo, you said if there was an interest that you would be making cages, sliders, and stingers. Well, consider this to be an interest, my Willy's is waiting on parts to come to it from the 1.9 I am finishing.

Keep me posted on those parts and maybe we can work out something.
FireWire79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:12 AM   #16

good looking build! I havent gotten anything accomplished on mine except the cage....maybe I'll get busy on it again this winter.
wildwilly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:41 PM   #17
RCC Addict

hey bigski how are those wk axles working out for you .
viper6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:49 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper6171 View Post
hey bigski how are those wk axles working out for you .
I like the WK axles, the extra width really helps with steering radius and tire clearance. I used a STRC straight axle kit for the rear, it's nice and beefy. I got some 'C's for the front axle, they had multiple splines for dialing in the caster. I still want to get some knuckles and I might splurge for the RCP ring and pinions, just to make the axles bullet proof. This Jeep is heavy so all of the drive train parts get a serious workout.

I'll post up some new pics this weekend, I took it out a few weeks ago at a scale trail run and got it filthy and scratched up! I also found out that the roll cage works perfectly....
Old 10-23-2010, 05:29 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Sorry it's been 2 months since the last update, I completely lost track of the time. A few things have changed, all for the better. I switched to SCX-10 shocks, I got more articulation from them than the ProLine scaler shocks, plus there are a lot of different optional springs for dialing in the suspension. I ended up w/ 50wt. oil all around, "yellow" tender springs and "green" main springs. The Jeep is heavy enough to completely compress the springs when the suspension moves.

I fabbed up an all steel front bumper extension, mounted a 1/8th scale winch on it, made a push bar and some soild steel shackle mounts. I got some small shackles from a local Marine supply house for $4 each. My driver got some new clothes, a boonie hat, a winter parka and some sunglasses that I made into old school Okaley Frog Skins.

I've started plugging the holes in the body, getting ready for paint over the winter. I'm making some diamond plate corner protectors ad I'm playinig w/ the idea of turning the body into a CJ-3A, which would include a working tail gate and a brass windshield frame. I made a brass hinge for the hood, it looks ok and it works really well.

The last update has been in the axles, I got RCP nickle plated brass R&P's, front knuckles and a rare set of the CVD axles. The axles are as bullit proof as they can get, so I hope that they hold out for a while.

On to the pics:

Brass hood hinge. Goop holds it on the plastic.

Front bumper extension.

Roll cage getting used.

Driver.

Random pics.

Under the hood mess. 5 amp 3s Slash battery, 2+ hrs. of run time!

Last edited by BigSki; 10-23-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:20 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Looking good Walter!

I haven't touched mine since the last Bobrocks, guess I'll have to tear into mine this winter and give it it's finishing touches since it's been throughly tested.
DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote