Thread: Certainly not original "Willys"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Certainly not original "Willys"

The chassis is looking stout! Nice work I think Gunny is going to be stoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Steve View Post
It's just like a copper sweat fitting, steel wool the joint first, making sure you remove any coating that is on there
It's hard to tell from the images but the problem may be from a non-corrosive coating on the outside of the tubing. It looks sorta gray like it's been coated with something. Try sanding down to bare steel where you are brazing...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #82
RCC Addict

what ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^said needs to be clean metal for it to stick.
warriorsimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #83
Quarry Creeper

How does that saying go?

Cleanliness is next to godliness? Well indeed I was not cleaning the surface enough. The steel wool as suggested worked much better then the heavy grit emery cloth. After half a day of working in some triangulation.

I finally did a test braze with the new way of cleaning and the stars finally aligned.
snydercj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by snydercj7 View Post
Now you've got it!

Nice looking joints dude...
Old 02-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #85
Rock Crawler

Nice Job on the brazing Man!!!!
Looks like you got the touch now
TJ Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #86
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
Now you've got it!

Nice looking joints dude...
LOL! Thinking the pun is intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Steve View Post
Nice Job on the brazing Man!!!!
Looks like you got the touch now
Thanks for the input fella's, amazing how well that stuff actually sticks when the surface is clean. Hope to get the cage wrapped up this week then work on the frame tie in, some nerf bars, and a front hoop. So many details, my wife keeps calling this "my toy" but I feel as much work is going into this as building my 1:1.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:44 AM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Hope to get the cage wrapped up this week then work on the frame tie in, some nerf bars, and a front hoop...
Haha once the brazing bug bites you you'll start thinking of all kinds of stuff you can make!
Old 02-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #88
Quarry Creeper

I have really been dragging this build out. Considering this is my first scale build I am proud to say that I went through (2) msc 6'-7' sticks + 13" of tubing with no waste other then my 45 & 90 degree practice bends and the small amount used for practice brazing.

All these pictures equal one thing. A MOTIVATED GUNNY!

This build has a long way to go, but I almost have all the parts lined up and this cage is a huge step forward. Keep an eye out and I hope to have some more up dates sooner then later.

Last edited by snydercj7; 02-15-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #89
Quarry Creeper

A little teaser....
Old 02-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #90
Quarry Creeper

Some minor details knocked out.

The cooling system is in place and ready to go.

Think I got off easy with this slightly raised shifter to clear the disrupter transfer case.

Gave the Gunny a little sun.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #91
Quarry Creeper

Not as far as I had hoped to get this weekend, but it is good to have the entire drive train tied together.

After calling MIP and finding the shortest shaft to tie the transmission and transfer case, I discovered the shaft would need an extra 3/8" removed from what I was already planning. Ended up taking the sleeve portion off each end then shortening the shaft on each case and redrilling for the set screws and trimming a little out of the shaft length itself. But the motor is in with a very tight tolerance between it and the cooling fan.
Here it is all tucked in place. Also filled in the inner fender that the Dragon model has pushed out into the wheel well for some reason. Still need to do a bit of clean up work on the out side. Cant remember who's build showed the earth magnets. But I really liked that idea so those are mounted up and the metal tabs are in the hood. Really does hold the hood down good.

A little added bonus, I am looking to put a couple led bars between the frame rails as some super rock lights.

Had hoped to do the shock hoops, but I clearly need to dig around and see how I will make a bender to give me the tighter bends needed for the rest of my project.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #92
I wanna be Dave

Great build, good to see it in a running status. I'm not nit-picking, but the diffys on a 1:1 are offset to the passenger side.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:34 AM   #93
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Great build, good to see it in a running status. I'm not nit-picking, but the diffys on a 1:1 are offset to the passenger side.

LOL You scale guys are serious! BigSki I have to say you have built some great looking Willys. But what do I do about the non centered rear diff? By the way I think that was a late model Dodge I pulled that front end from. haha.

So this is the last of the major parts. A few little extras will have every thing needed to get it driveable. I have to stop at Lowes and pick up the pieces for a bender that will give me tighter bends needed for the shock hoops.

Jerry rigged the shocks just to get a better idea of what I am looking at for real flex.

Out of curiosity I have been wondering how top heavy this pig is when it comes to off camber situations. I am happy with what I see. This is also a great thing seeing how the new Axial springs hold this thing compared to the ones that came with the Prolines.

Last edited by snydercj7; 02-26-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
LOL You scale guys are serious! BigSki I have to say you have built some great looking Willys. But what do I do about the non centered rear diff? By the way I think that was a late model Dodge I pulled that front end from. haha.
The MB military, Ford GPW, CJ2A and 3A all had rear axles that had offset pumpkins, just like the front axles. Both axles were offset to the passenger side. This only matters if someone is trying to make a really detailed model. My orange jeep still uses AX-10 axles, so they look like narrowed Rockwells to me.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #95
Quarry Creeper

The smooth operation has not existed over the past week. Ordering the overall length of a drag link, learning how to use a home made bender, breaking off 3/32" drill bits into aluminum, etc, etc.... Here is some progress that I have managed.
The strange bump has been removed from the passenger side wheel well. (edit) Just going thru May 2013 JP mag and in the Instant Old Jeep Guru article, I learned that bump was the "battery box bump".

Some mounts are now in place, to include the esc mount which ties into the motor mount.

I also utilized the motor mount to attach the back half of the servo. I spent 4 wasted hours working on a front servo mount by building then rebuilding only to break off a 3/32" drill bit into the part. Here is the final result. You can also see the HR racing bell crank. Saw this on some one elses build and it looked like the answer for me. Just waiting for the correct size drag link to arrive from VP since the first one I ordered for the total length.

Been waiting for the temps to warm up to go down to the garage and work on these. Drilled cut, waiting to be fine tuned and cleaned up for brazing. The Jeep will finally stand on it's own once bolted to the frame!

Last bit of real progress, a battery mount.

Hope my next update will show the Jeep standing on it's own with the engine bay resprayed and some under coating. Geez.... That would mean I should have the electronics wired up. This thing could be driving really soon!

Last edited by snydercj7; 03-27-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #96
Quarry Creeper

Not sure why I have been putting off soldering the electronics, tight fit but it's all there.

It's ALIVE!

http://s140.beta.photobucket.com/use...9edb7.mp4.html

Last edited by snydercj7; 03-14-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #97
Quarry Creeper

The correctly ordered link arrived yesterday and this thing is really coming to life!

DSCN0571_zps238b3dbe.mp4 Video by snydercj7 | Photobucket

These things are almost done. A little tear down so I can tap and drill the frame and the Gunny should be able to go for a test drive this weekend.

All brazed up with some place to go. These are not perfect, but absolutely what I had in mind.

The Gunny is feeling more motivated then ever to get behind the wheel for a test drive.

Last edited by snydercj7; 03-15-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #98
Quarry Creeper

I will leave you guys with this to drool over the weekend. Man I am getting excited!

Old 03-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #99
Quarry Creeper

Yet another failed deadline, good thing this is being built for myself by myself. haha So no test drive this weekend, but since I had the Jeep tore down to the frame I could find no reason not to strip it all the way down and put some paint on.

Found these in the mailbox section of Home Depot and thought I would give them a try. Not sure how well the reflection really is, but does not look so impressive in the pic.

Shock hoops all secured to the frame nicely. So so close!

Here is to see how many are actually paying attention or to really mess with those who are. lol

Old 03-18-2013, 07:24 AM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Diggin' the shock hoops dude. Well done!

Why you teasin' us with a blurry image of the painted chassis?