RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Large Scale Rigs (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/large-scale-rigs/)
-   -   KMS,,GI joe willy's (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/large-scale-rigs/319616-kms-gi-joe-willys.html)

KMS 06-01-2011 06:35 PM

KMS,,GI joe willy's

6 Attachment(s)
After seeing one of these a few years ago on You Tube ,,I been wanting one so,Here's my build , Going kinda slow as,, money allows,, Makin my own parts isnt to hard ,From checking out the pics how some of you guys before me have built one ,they have been lots of help ,,thank you ,, all here's what i have so far ,,Kms

YJesse 06-01-2011 06:39 PM

Looks like you're off to a good start. Are you going to run an axial trans with a transfer case?

KMS 06-01-2011 09:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Yes on the Axial trans ,For the transfer case The RC4WD Disruptor,But haven't got that far yet,Here's a couple more pics ,,KMS

BigSki 06-02-2011 12:15 PM

You're off to a good start. You made a good choice w/ the Disruptor T-case, my Willys hasn't broken the one that I'm using, it seems to be a good H.D. design.

KMS 06-04-2011 08:01 PM

6-4-11 new links

4 Attachment(s)
Got more done today ,I have made new 4-link plates,new links, paint on the roll cage ,KMS

KMS 06-05-2011 10:00 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Had some time to work on my Willy's this afternoon,Got the servo ,reciever & speedcontrol installed, plus bolted down the cage ,Should have my wheel wideners tomarrow,,,KMS

ZoSo 06-06-2011 10:11 AM

sweet.....nice cage

aiden102408 06-06-2011 10:22 AM

I really like where this is going ..the gi Joe bodies are a really good choice

sent VIA evo4g a very shitty phone

KMS 06-06-2011 11:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The shop is getting busy again so wont have much time to work on the Willy for awhile,I did get to drive it today in the shop [ it rained most of the day here ] ,Did install the wheel wideners, hooked up the lipo and attacked the wood pile over in the corner,,Yep it crawlers good ,Still thinking about what colors to paint it,,KMS

KMS 06-07-2011 10:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Made a front bumper for my winch today,

BigSki 06-08-2011 12:52 PM

"thumbsup"

KMS 06-08-2011 05:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thank you,,Finished out the bumper not perfect but a pass,,Winch mounted not hooked up,Got my generic Gi Joes not bad 7.00 ebay .I see there will be to be some c-hubs & knuckles needed , What color am I going to paint this ,,,,,

ZoSo 06-09-2011 09:58 AM

hey Robert to get the width needed
try the Gmade 2.2" Wheel widener
adds an inch to the overall width

KMS 06-09-2011 10:29 AM

Ok ,,,Thank you for all the help so far ,,,Robert

KMS 06-09-2011 10:40 AM

David I did a search for them ,and those are the ones that I bought,, that you suggested a few weeks ago ,You cant see them in the pics cause I painted them black,,,Thanks again,,,,,Robert

KMS 06-10-2011 08:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Cant say I am done,, probably never will be,, But got my steering wheel done and installed ,still need to install servo to wheel ,,Making a round wheel is hard to do ,,tubing bends just not the way you want it,, I even tach welded it to a piece of 2" tubing on one end then tryed roll it around ,yea easier said than done ,but its done gives the driver something to hold on too,Thank for all the kind replys and good help ,pics from other post's,,,Robert

ZoSo 06-11-2011 09:10 AM

looking good!

KMS 06-11-2011 10:18 AM

thank you ZoSo ,I have been think about making my own drive shafts for it ,doing some thing like the punishers,aluim body with the stock axial ends ,But my thought would be to do it the easiest way ,making the u joint end no problem but what do I want to do for the slider part ,like maybe a square slider or triangle slider or blade would be easy to,this is the part where the shafts slide over each other ,I have seen some on EBAY with a grove on the female end and the male end has a pin ,Are those any good ,,Thanks Robert

BigSki 06-11-2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMS (Post 3135803)
,Making a round wheel is hard to do ,,tubing bends just not the way you want it,, I even tach welded it to a piece of 2" tubing on one end then tryed roll it around ,yea easier said than done

I feel you pain! My steering wheel kicked my azz pretty good. I ended up clamping a socket into the vise along with one edge of the small diameter round stock then bent it around the socket, hammering it along the way to give it a bit of memory so it wouldn't completely unravel when I took it out of the vise.

ZoSo 06-11-2011 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMS (Post 3136457)
thank you ZoSo ,I have been think about making my own drive shafts for it ,doing some thing like the punishers,aluim body with the stock axial ends ,But my thought would be to do it the easiest way ,making the u joint end no problem but what do I want to do for the slider part ,like maybe a square slider or triangle slider or blade would be easy to,this is the part where the shafts slide over each other ,I have seen some on EBAY with a grove on the female end and the male end has a pin ,Are those any good ,,Thanks Robert

Rich has run the same traxxas driveshafts (plastic) for over 300 hours
with no failures
I've run MIP metal driveshafts ... drilled-out at the axles (for WK 6mm)
mine have worn and have some movement but are still working!

I think I will replace mine with the traxxas ...you can put different size ends on the driveshaft (they make 5mm & 6mm)
just drill-out the Axial output shaft, the WK are drilled-out already, use the long set screw
it passes thru the whole assembly. Bullet proof "thumbsup"