Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Tommy's Big Willy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 05:44 PM   #61
RCC Addict

I wonder if this trick will work on those: who says PL TSL's won't work on RC4WD Steelies?
DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonsATV View Post
I wonder if this trick will work on those: who says PL TSL's won't work on RC4WD Steelies?
Oh man, I had no idea. I didn't realize there would be a potential fitment issue. Crud. I guess I either need to get some PVC or sell these Swampers for some Rok Lox.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:12 AM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Hmmm.... Something smells fishy. I decided to mount up my RC4WD Baja Claws and ran into the same problem. I can understand if the Pro-Lines don't fit as they should, but shouldn't an RC4WD tire fit properly? There's nearly a 1/4" gap if I push the rim halves together. I wonder if I just got a freak set of wide wheel inserts??

On a bright note, I picked up some Traxxas yokes from the LHS and the set screw dowel thingie worked great. The dowel is a snug fit into the Disruptor's shaft and the threads mate up perfectly with the MIP bits.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:11 AM   #64
RCC Addict

Will all 4 wheel pieces go together without a tire??
DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:22 AM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonsATV View Post
Will all 4 wheel pieces go together without a tire??
Yep. In fact, they arrived all assembled. But as you can see, there isn't a lot of room left for two beads! I realize the will be some compression of the beads and the rims will flex a bit, but this looks way too tight to me.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:23 AM   #66
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Oh man, I had no idea. I didn't realize there would be a potential fitment issue. Crud. I guess I either need to get some PVC or sell these Swampers for some Rok Lox.
The PVC does work, I had to do this to mine. PITA until I read up on that.

That is normal for them, remember your now pinching a bead on both sides. Use 2 longer screws to get them together then the stock short ones will fit no problem.
reddevildemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:18 AM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevildemo View Post
The PVC does work, I had to do this to mine. PITA until I read up on that.

That is normal for them, remember your now pinching a bead on both sides. Use 2 longer screws to get them together then the stock short ones will fit no problem.
Did you have to bevel the PVC? I think the thread on scale4x4 didn't mention that, but it would seem beveling would be needed.

I figured the longer screws would be needed to seat the tire to the rim, but I expected more room for the beads. But if this is normal, then that's cool. I just didn't want to damage my tires.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:51 AM   #68
RCC Addict

I did not bevel mine at all, worked very nicely.

I have mounted and unmounted mine a couple times now, playing with weight and have not damaged the tires at all. They sure are a PITA with the stock rings that's for sure.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:03 PM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevildemo View Post
I did not bevel mine at all, worked very nicely.

I have mounted and unmounted mine a couple times now, playing with weight and have not damaged the tires at all. They sure are a PITA with the stock rings that's for sure.
That's great! Thanks for the info, Darin. I'll pick up some PVC today and see if I can get these guys mounted up this week.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #70
RCC Addict

No problem at all. Looking forward to more pics of this thing.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #71
RCC Addict

I know the South moves a little slower but besides a setscrew are you building this thing??

Looking good Tommy, Get those lower links triangulated some...
Difuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:20 PM   #72
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difuser View Post
I know the South moves a little slower but besides a setscrew are you building this thing??

Looking good Tommy, Get those lower links triangulated some...
Nope! I'm trying to assemble as much as I can and fab as little as I can. I want this to be my "lazy" build.

But yes, some double triangulation in the rear would certainly be preferred over the current setup. I'll try it like it is first, though.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #73
I wanna be Dave

I finally got around to cutting some PVC. As RC4WD and others have suggested, I used a SCH 40 coupler for 2" PVC. The I.D. is just a bit larger than the aluminum ring. I cut some rings of the same width and just deburred the corners, not beveled them. They came out great!! Here's a pic all mounted up and ready to go. Currently running tall, stock RC4WD foams in the Pro-Line TSLs.

One pet peeve with these wheels is that you can see through the spokes and see the white of the inner rim half. So I painted the inside of it black to hide it a bit better. You can also see the PVC insert I used.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:39 AM   #74
I wanna be Dave

I spoke too soon. Something isn't working with the way the tires are mounting. The rim halves aren't lining up perfectly square. There's significant wobble when you rotate them. And I'm not talk about the regular kind of imperfections you normally see. That's when I noticed the aluminum hub was not sitting flush and square with the rim. Tough to explain and I don't have pics, unfortunately. Suffice to say something is preventing the rim halves from clamping together like they should.

I suspect it may be either the PVC is too wide or I need to bevel the inside edges of the PVC. Otherwise, the tire doesn't seat properly when it's clamped down. I'll bevel the edges and if that doesn't work I may narrow the PVC some more. Currently, they're the exact same width as the stock aluminum rings.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #75
I wanna be Dave

I took this pic with my phone so it's not the best quality, but I think it shows what's happening. If you look at the aluminum hub in the center of the wheel, you can see it's not square and flush with the white part of the wheel. It's cock-eyed. I reduced the thickness of the PVC ring a smidge, but it didn't help. I guess the next step will be to bevel the edges. Hopefully, that'll resolve this. I just wish I had access to a lathe so i could make them all consistent.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #76
RCC Addict

Hmmm, mine didn't do that. I have wobble more then I like but my halves are dead tight and even. With mine it is the bead of the tire itself that's off, more on one side vs the other. I'll get around to another attempt some time.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:48 PM   #77
I wanna be Dave

I think the bead is just too thick and it's causing the rim halves to become un-centered. At least, that's what I'm hoping the problem is!
Old 06-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #78
RCC Addict

I agree with you. Sucks though, I am very limited in application for wheels. I use the pin mount and not the hex.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:38 PM   #79
I wanna be Dave

Beveling the inside of the PVC definitely helped! I'm in the process of "fine tuning" how much bevel, but it's much better now. This is going to be a slow rig so I'm not looking for perfection, obviously. It's just a pet peeve to have wheels/tires all wobbly on my rigs!
Old 06-22-2011, 05:45 PM   #80
KMS
Rock Crawler

Slow rig ,Mine is far from now and it handles pretty good to at high speed The wheel speed is kinda nice when climbing , I put that 27 turn in it just seeing what it would be like and I dont think I will put the 55 turn back ,Might drop to a 35 tho ,Glad to see your getting your tire & wheel issue fixed ,hold ups, hold ups, smooth going is nice ,,
KMS is offline   Reply With Quote