Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Tommy's Big Willy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 07:14 AM   #81
RCC Addict

Thanks Tommy, I'll take mine apart and toss them in the lathe to bevel the inside edges. I assume you did both the front and back sides?
reddevildemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2011, 07:26 AM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevildemo View Post
Thanks Tommy, I'll take mine apart and toss them in the lathe to bevel the inside edges. I assume you did both the front and back sides?

Hey Darin,

Yeah, I sure did. I wish I had a lathe! I had to improvise with my belt sander, but it worked. I would say it's close to a 45 degree bevel and I went all the way to the edge. I tried with less bevel than that and it didn't work as well. Now with a "full bevel" the rim halves seat against one another fine. There's still some wobble, but it's acceptable now.

I also took KMS' idea and picked up some 1/4"x1/2" aluminum bar stock. Had to go to the local metal supply shop for it, since Home Depot didn't carry it. Hey, it was worth a try, right? I'm in the process of drilling/tapping the aluminum now. It's getting very close to being a roller. I just need to figure out my front link lengths and shock placements.

The big tall link mount that attaches to the pumpkin is way too tall and is preventing the suspension from attaining full travel 'cause it's hitting the underside of the body. I can trim off maybe a 1/4" off it, but not sure that'll be enough. Do any companies make lower profile link mounts for Wheely King axles?

Here's a pic of the link mount I'm using now. Sorry it doesn't show it all that well. Not sure who makes it...
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:12 AM   #83
RCC Addict

Thanks Tommy, looking good so far.

For the rear link mount I used a stock Axial mount on mine when it had the WK's on it. worked well and was level with the top of the pumpkin. If you use the plastic mount you can get it to flex and fit the stock WK holes.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:22 AM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

For the rear link mount I used a stock Axial mount on mine when it had the WK's on it. worked well and was level with the top of the pumpkin. If you use the plastic mount you can get it to flex and fit the stock WK holes.
No kidding? That's interesting. I'm sure I've got some stock Axial mounts around. I'll give them a try! They seem to hold up okay?
Old 06-28-2011, 08:41 AM   #85
RCC Addict

Ya they held up fine, never snapped one. When I did it it was more cheap and lazy as I had them laying around. I used the HR alum "Y" section as well.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:45 AM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ya they held up fine, never snapped one. When I did it it was more cheap and lazy as I had them laying around. I used the HR alum "Y" section as well.
LOL, that's exactly what I have, as well. I'll give it a try. It amazes me how much commonality is shared between the AK and the Axial axles. But that's a good thing!

Hopefully, I'll have some good updates tonight.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:37 PM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

No kidding?? I never even thought about trying that, I made some ugly, but functional, mounts from aluminum angle. It's amazing what flat black paint will hide!

You guys are giving me building fever, my orange jeep is pretty much finished but I have another one still sitting in a box, maybe it's time to do some work on it.

Would anyone be interested in that utility trailer I built? I got a 1/6th scale dirt bike but it's too big to fit inside of the trailer, so I need to build another one so the bike will fit inside w/ the tailgate closed.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #88
RCC Addict

Good looking project Tommy, but you are going to have to change your avatar as I just traded with Oso for Big Oly and will soon be resurrecting him, lol. Well since you built him, I guess you still have the right.

By the way, if you have a need, I have a trailer to match your jeep if you have any interest. Uses a pintle hitch of which RC4WD has a nice one.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillarson View Post
Good looking project Tommy, but you are going to have to change your avatar as I just traded with Oso for Big Oly and will soon be resurrecting him, lol. Well since you built him, I guess you still have the right.

By the way, if you have a need, I have a trailer to match your jeep if you have any interest. Uses a pintle hitch of which RC4WD has a nice one.
Hey, I just heard about Big Oly! Glad you'll be bringing him back to glory. I felt bad disassembling him. And no worries about the avatar. I was actually looking at new ones today, but couldn't decide on one.

I appreciate the trailer offer, but I don't think I'll be pulling one with this rig.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

So I took KMS' idea and sleeved some aluminum into the frame rails. Then I drilled/tapped all of the holes so I can remove the link brackets without having to remove the body from the chassis. Overkill? Yeah, but that's okay.

And I got the Axial 3 link upper mount installed. The rear suspension is done for now (other than shocks). And it looks like a standard SCX10 length MIP shaft is going to work....barely!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #91
KMS
Rock Crawler

Tommy looks good ,The frame rail inserts add's lower weight,and it helps ,I like building them tuffer ,So they can handle all that rock jumping & crawlin ,If I had more energy I would copy the frame out of 1/2 X 1'' aluminum That would be tough enough, YOUR RAILS LOOK BETTER THAN MINE. Robert
KMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:09 AM   #92
RCC Addict

Robert, Tommy. What size alum are you running in the rails. Looks to fit perfect.
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:43 AM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMS View Post
Tommy looks good ,The frame rail inserts add's lower weight,and it helps ,I like building them tuffer ,So they can handle all that rock jumping & crawlin ,If I had more energy I would copy the frame out of 1/2 X 1'' aluminum That would be tough enough, YOUR RAILS LOOK BETTER THAN MINE. Robert
Thanks, Robert! Yeah, I'm now very glad I went through the hassle to install them. It wasn't that bad, but was kind of a pain and cost me a broken tap which meant I had to remake one of the rails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calikingcrawler View Post
Robert, Tommy. What size alum are you running in the rails. Looks to fit perfect.
1/2"x1/4". It's a perfect fit. And I think the length is about 7-5/8", but you'll need to do some Dremeling inside the plastic frame rails to get the aluminum to sit flush.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:23 AM   #94
RCC Addict

Looks great Tommy, glad to see the Axial link mount worked for you.
I was to lazy to sleeve my rails so I just overkill built a set. I'll be interested to see how much yours weights once it is done.

Bigski, save the trailer you built, no harm in having more then one...and as you said you do have another Jeep to built yet.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:49 AM   #95
RCC Addict

Are you planning any cage work on yours? This is a Cj2A from near my house that I was going to use as a model:

neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:36 AM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Neil, yes, I'm definitely planning a cage for this thing. For the time being I'm just focusing on getting it running first. I've seen that rig before and it's very similar to the style of build I have in mind (other than the paint). I like that cage, but am not sure how flat the upper part of my cage will be. I also need to decide if I want to carry the cage over a rear seat. Doubtful on that, though.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:20 AM   #97
KMS
Rock Crawler

I know its to late for broken tap but I use a tapping fluid called ,,,,,,,,
,,,TAP Magic ,,,,,,,,,,For tapping Aluminum ,Have not broke a 4-40 or larger tap since, wttool.com sells it ,,
My frame rail dia. 1/4 x 1/2 x 7 5/8 " long .There wasnt very much to clean up in side the frame rail to add the insert , Robert
Old 06-29-2011, 10:49 AM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMS View Post
I know its to late for broken tap but I use a tapping fluid called ,,,,,,,,
,,,TAP Magic ,,,,,,,,,,For tapping Aluminum ,Have not broke a 4-40 or larger tap since, wttool.com sells it ,,
My frame rail dia. 1/4 x 1/2 x 7 5/8 " long .There wasnt very much to clean up in side the frame rail to add the insert , Robert

It's funny you mention that. That may have been the cutting fluid I was using! But once the tap broke and I tried another one, it became quickly evident that the reason it was taking me forever to tap the threads was because the tap itself was junk. I tried a better tap afterward and it cut like butter and made quick work of it.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

I think I'm going to have to nickname this rig. For some reason I'm thinking "Hammer Time" would be a good one.....

Old 07-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #100
KMS
Rock Crawler

That fits !!!!! The Willy's does Hammer !!!!