Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: losi 5T

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default losi 5T

was wondering about how good these rc's are. was thinking of trying to get one. the parts on these 4wd rigs any good, are they going to break easily. if any one owns one like to get some feed back on them before going out to buy on

thanks nick
silver falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2014, 04:27 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: losi 5T

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver falcon View Post
was wondering about how good these rc's are. was thinking of trying to get one. the parts on these 4wd rigs any good, are they going to break easily. if any one owns one like to get some feed back on them before going out to buy on

thanks nick
Im not too sure you will get many replies on this forum, because you are in a rock crawler forum asking about track racing trucks, but i will say this...ive been building and running my scale crawlers for a few years now, and after my last run with my wraith I realized I wanted something more.. I love crawling, and my lust for ultra4 style trucks got me itching for a dirt ripping, rock throwing, high jumping speed monster, and i started checking out the likes of 1/5 scale gas powered trucks. Specifically the HPI Baja and the Losi 5t

Ive done alot of research on both the Losi 5t and the HPI Baja and have come to this conclusion:

People who want to race competetavely tend to lean toward the losi 5t over the HPI because of its success on the track. For dirt track racing it is the truck to beat. Because of its 4WD it is much easier to control when cornering however in stock form it cannot out sprint the HPI in the straits. It is considerably heavier. Thats not to say you couldn't make it much faster with some extra cash.
It is also considerably easier to work on in the pits, because with the body removed the powerplant, drive line, and suspension are all pretty much exposed and easy to get to for service or repair.
It is also known for its greater degree of out of the box durability. Alot of components are more willing to take a beating than the stock HPI.

This is all not to say that the HPI isnt also a fantastic truck in its own right. It has a huge and loyal following. Its 2wd makes it popular among those who prefer less costly maintenance, and those who prefer the added driver skill factor when racing. Two wheel class are much more difficult to get around the track because of the greater skill required to keep them going where they are pointed. To its loyal followers and fans, this is not by any means a fault. They prefer to lean more on driver skill than on performance parts to get them going fast.
That is also not to say that there is any lack of performance upgrades for the HPI either. In fact, the HPI has incredible aftermarket variety and support, so it is easily possible to make a Baja that will stand out if you have deep pockets. With good parts and driver talent an HPI can be very competative with the Losi on the track, but still has some shortcomings in the pits. Alot of the components of the HPI have restricted ease of access, since they are housed within the chassis mounted roll cage. So mid race repairs can be much more time consuming.

Each truck stands out in their own way, and really it comes down to what you want to do with it. If you like competative racing, go with the Losi. (There are however plenty of people doing just fine with the HPI on the track, and there are even HPI specific races that level the field. There is also 2WD class racing.)

If you prefer bashing and driving just about anywhere off of groomed tracks than i personally recommend the HPI. It has more ground clearance, and can run easily on much more varried terrain.

I personally am going to most likely go with the HPI. I have no desire for track racing exclusively, and don't want to be limited to tracks or smoother terrain.
I also REALLY LOVE the look of the HPI baja with the Krackin class 1 TSK tube cage. This really makes the baja stand out as a desert buggy, as im not a fan of the flat looking short course trucks.

This is just my opinion. Hope this helps.

~Tom
tomvaillencourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:57 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver falcon View Post

thanks nick

Look in the rclargescale forum. Think it's a RCC spinoff
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:57 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

thanks guys will look on the large scale form. I'm mainly a crawler freak, so was thinking if their was more people like me in the crawler back ground, instead of the racing large scale guys. I was wanting feed back from the crawler guy point of view as well.

thanks again
Old 08-15-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I'm pretty much in the same boat...I am crawler at heart, but wanted something to bash that was insanely fast and was extremely close to getting the 5iveT....the only thing that made me change my mind for the time being was the fact that these large scale rigs don't have reverse. This may not be a big deal to many, but it was something I wanted. In the end, I ended up getting a new Traxxas Slash Platinum 4x4 LCG a couple weeks ago. Of course, I can't leave well enough alone and immediately changed out the stock brushless motor and ESC with a CC Sidewinder 8th ESC and CC 2200kv 1/8 motor, running with 3s and 4s with the option of going up to 6S. I have many other mods already done to this machine and many more to come. The speed is insane and between the CC link and Spectrum DX4C TX, the tuning variables is vast.

I love the 5iveT and the huge 1/5 scale....I wouldn't be surprised if I do add one to my growing collection of rigs one day.

Something to consider.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Go for it!! That is THE 5th scale to own. I've had a baja 5b and still have a baja sc. The Losi is just awesome to drive and it's tough as nails!! The baja's are nice, but Losi took it to a new level...it's up there with FG!!
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:56 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

was looking at both hpi and losi. I'm really like the 4x4 set up on the losi the more I look. will have to start a savings fund for it I think.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:02 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

If I could sell my hpi tomorrow, I would, and buy the Losi. But like many people, got caught up in buying everything aftermarket for it and will never be able to recover even half of what I've put in it...$3800. You'll be that deep in the Losi in no time, but that truck is worth it.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:16 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I ended up looking on largescale web site, wish I didn't. I seen a few in the for sale section. looks like I'll be trying to sale some crawler stuff for future buying power for one of these losi 5T's
Old 08-22-2014, 10:38 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Well...... the fifth scale bug got me...... ordered a new HPI 2014 Baja 5B SS kit. I'm looking forward to building this beast from the ground up and the endless amounts of possible mods.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #11
I joined the Band!

I have one! THERE BAD ASS! I also being a scale builder designed and built my own 1:5 scale brushless SC that uses the roll cage and bumpers so it looks like the losi but it's not.
You should buy it. It will change your life!!!
I did a build post of it here I think it's called 10 horse monster.
10 horse monster!

Last edited by twissted; 08-23-2014 at 11:02 AM.
twissted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:08 AM   #12
I joined the Band!

[url]

Last edited by twissted; 11-06-2016 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:24 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by twissted View Post
I have one! THERE BAD ASS! I also being a scale builder designed and built my own 1:5 scale brushless SC that uses the roll cage and bumpers so it looks like the losi but it's not.
You should buy it. It will change your life!!!
I did a build post of it here I think it's called 10 horse monster.
10 horse monster!
Looking at how your rig came out almost makes me want to do a rebuild of my HPI baja sc. But the need for speed from a big (at least 54"), sleek, sexy, hot paint job, twin big brushless motored, 8s lipo powered mystic catamaran screaming down the lake just makes me forget all about the baja.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:32 PM   #14
I joined the Band!

[url]https

Old 08-23-2014, 01:49 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Nice!! How long have you been running that setup? Kinda high on Kv if those were 6s lipo's I saw.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:40 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by twissted View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBcf9etjSKw

If this video doesn't get your need for one going then try this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BVlbykIIX0

really, now I want
Old 08-25-2014, 05:06 PM   #17
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysplits View Post
Nice!! How long have you been running that setup? Kinda high on Kv if those were 6s lipo's I saw.
I get

Old 08-25-2014, 05:29 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I've heard nothing but good about TP motors. My issue is which esc's to get and at what amperage. A lot of people seem to be smoking esc's when going up in Kv from the standard recommendation (36,000 rpm unloaded). You're at almost 49,000 rpm unloaded. That's some sound at WOT!!!
Old 08-25-2014, 06:12 PM   #19
I joined the Band!

Get the

Old 08-25-2014, 07:12 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

You're making my mind go to building this boat. I must, must finish the scx10 first!! lol Besides, I gotta find a way to prep the wife so she doesn't shit and try to kill me when that big box shows up!!

losi 5T - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
flat irons+losi 1.9 Team Losi rims for LOSI Mini= ? general lee Tires and Wheels 11 08-27-2009 04:08 PM