Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: A 1:6th scale '41 Willys build...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Well, at least Irene hasn't completely ruined my weekend.

A trip by the Carquest for 20' of brakeline, and a rainy day becomes Tubework Day...

Last edited by Big Mike; 08-27-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Cage looks great!! Love your color choice too!
DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:16 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSo View Post
nice ......first blue willys I've seen
keep up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonsATV View Post
Cage looks great!! Love your color choice too!
Thanks guys, I appreciate the support. And the inspiration.

I hadn't seen a blue Willy's yet so I went with it.

Tube work is pretty much done.

The front end looked too plain, so I made up this...

Added the front crossmember to the cage (that I forgot Saturday ) And 3 grab handles while I was at it, just to add a little more detail...

I love it when a plan comes together!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 09:50 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Looking really good! I like the rear section of the cage, it's something I plan on designing into the cage for the next Jeep.( Yep, there's another one waiting quietly in a box )

Irene completely shut me down until about 1 hr. ago when the power came back on. I won't complain though, I know there are lots more people that still don't have any power, or homes, for that matter.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:54 AM   #25
RCC Addict

That looks really good nice a clean.
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #26
RCC Addict

Cage and front protection look great. I'm diggin that blue as well, very catchy looking.
reddevildemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:45 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Yep cool rig for sure! I wish I had the time to work on mine...
rcjeepbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:12 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevildemo View Post
Cage and front protection look great. I'm diggin that blue as well, very catchy looking.
Hey Darin,

do you think I should send him a set of the red reflectors? I personally like this jeep so far.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:13 AM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Hey Darin,

do you think I should send him a set of the red reflectors? I personally like this jeep so far.
That's up to you, I think it would fit right in and I love mine !!

Are you sure he is ready for them though?
Old 08-31-2011, 12:48 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

nice tube work. I am planning a 1/8 Willys build and the one thing I am worried about is getting a decent roll cage in it.
Mud Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:49 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Puppy View Post
nice tube work. I am planning a 1/8 Willys build and the one thing I am worried about is getting a decent roll cage in it.
Most all of us make these out of common steel brake line, the same stuff that carries the brake fluid around your car/truck. 1/4" and 3/16". And some 1/8" solid rod for the handles.

Quote:
Hey Darin,

Quote:
That's up to you, I think it would fit right in and I love mine !!

Are you sure he is ready for them though?
man, that would be sweet. I painted inside the bezels with a "candy red" enamel I had in the paint hoard, it's darker red and very reflector-like in appearance. Real reflectors would of course be even better though.

If y'all would consider me ready, I would be honored.

I've got the nice photo-etched plates and guages on the way too, thanks for the hookup on those reddevildemo.

Mock-up shots with a real camera...

I think I'm going to end up using these old BL-01N's. They look good with the rings polished to match the rims, and it would be one less thing to have to purchase...

I'm runnin' out of free stuff to do. It's time to get the ol' shopping list together...
Old 09-01-2011, 07:48 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
man, that would be sweet. I painted inside the bezels with a "candy red" enamel I had in the paint hoard, it's darker red and very reflector-like in appearance. Real reflectors would of course be even better though.

If y'all would consider me ready, I would be honored.
PM me a shipping addy, I'll get some reflectors sent to you! I did the same thing you did at first, using the red lense paint and it looked good but then I figured out a way to cut real reflectors to fit into the body.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:45 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

Man, this thing is gorgeous.
What axles were you planning on using?
brokennib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:34 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
PM me a shipping addy, I'll get some reflectors sent to you!
Man, you guys rock. Thanks I really appreciate it. PM sent..

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokennib View Post
Man, this thing is gorgeous.
What axles were you planning on using?
Thank you.

I'm still not really sure about axles - look in your thread I put down a couple thoughts in there...

Last edited by Big Mike; 09-01-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Fabbed up a 4-link setup for the rear, using the rear axle out of my SCX10/HiLux...

I'm using a setup I've seen on the other Jeeps here, because I can't think of how I could improve on it w/o being able to make new mounts on the axle housings. And I can't think of a way to do that that would not break right back off...

I've got a Beef Toob style axle widening plan in the works. I just need another pair of axles. I don't want to leave my HiLux without any axles or shocks. Looks like some slightly longer shocks will fit w/o any issues as well...

Old 09-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #36

Correct me if I'm wrong, but having the same starting location on your top and bottom links, doesnt that more or less make it a swing arm? Regardless, awesome work!
tslater1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:44 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslater1989 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but having the same starting location on your top and bottom links, doesnt that more or less make it a swing arm? Regardless, awesome work!
I had the same thought when I first saw it. But I'm definitely not breaking new ground here, it's been done before.

Now that it's together it seems to function like a 4-link should, although it's difficult to be 100% sure with no front end work even started yet. There is a bit of axle swing with the lack of triangulation on the chassis end but it's not drastic.

Geometrically speaking, the chassis ends are mounted on the same plane, but they are still able to function independantly of each other. Nothing is different about the axle mounting. Driving it will really tell the tale, but it seems like it will work...

Last edited by Big Mike; 09-08-2011 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:49 AM   #38
RCC Addict

That should work ok for ya Mike. Are the lengths the same on your upper and lower links?
Here is what I did, not saying it is any better then yours just tossed in for another approach. I have shorter upper links and mounted them to the frame for a higher mounting point.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:06 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
That should work ok for ya Mike. Are the lengths the same on your upper and lower links?
I almost mounted the upper chassis mounts in about the same place. I decided I'd try this way first and see how it worked since it was less effort. I also thought that a mount turned sideways would not have near the freedom of movement needed, I didn't even consider just bolting the rod end to the chassis like you did. That will move wherever it needs to w/o binding up.

Yes, all 4 links ended up being the exact same length. I did'nt actually sit down and plan it that way, I just made the lowers to place the axle in the center of the wheelwell and then made the uppers to set the proper pinion angle, and that's how it landed.

3-linking the front today if it's a slow day. With this weather on the East Coast it probably will be...

Last edited by Big Mike; 09-08-2011 at 07:19 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Inches-per-hour downpours all day = Slower than molasses in the shop. I got a good chunk of work accomplished on the Willys though.

The Willys now sits on it's own axles (or borrowed axles in this case) As excited as I'm getting about this build, I might have to shelve the SCX10 for a bit and use more stuff out of it to get the Willys up and running. I only have one TX/RX right now, so I can only drive one truck at a time anyway...

This setup uses the bracket from my Hand Brothers servo mount kit on the axle, so it should be easy enough to make another one for the Willys if these axles go back in the SCX10. I ended up re-making the left frame sub-member and incorporating a panhard mount into it (a piece of 1/8" aluminum angle stock with a LOT of wacky cutting, bending and filing) Just bolting a TLT bracket to the inside yielded improper geometry (it was so fast and easy I had a feeling something was going to go FUBAR) making the axle push to the right as it compressed. Obviously not lined up properly with the chassis link points. So I had to start from scratch with this...

The bend in the panhard bar achieves the clearance for the shocks to completely compress...

Now I know where the servo needs to go, so that will be next most likely.

I love it when a plan comes together!!!!

Last edited by Big Mike; 09-08-2011 at 03:23 PM.