Notices

Thread: Hey, look. Another jeep!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2015, 07:57 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Hey, look. Another jeep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
Do the Rock Beasts have a stiffer sidewall than Super Swampers, or are you using stiffer foams?
I'd like to know as well. I've made a set of foams from X-HD upholstery foam and they seem to work, but it would be nice to find a set from a vendor.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2015, 06:53 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

I just switched to Pro-Line's 2 stage memory foams, and what a difference. I had star cut foams in the Super Swampers before, and under the 13lb weight of my Jeep, they were looking flat, the 2 stage foams make the tire stand taller, but still are soft enough to wrap around a rock. If you check out my build thread, the second to last photo is with the star cut foams, and the last photo is with the new 2 stage foams.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:17 PM   #83
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadrab View Post
That cage is a work of art. Damn nice building.
I wish I could take credit for that cage. My friend Matt built that, excellent work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snydercj7 View Post
Another monster is alive, great work.

Curious to what your esc settings are. I am running a similar set up to yours and my down hill control is lacking where it feels like it is coasting more than any thing.
I'm still tweaking the settings, got a little paranoid with the gearing, it still needs a good, full run before I waterproof everything. I'm only running about 50% drag brake, and it seemed to work o.k. Turns out this thing weighs in at 10lbs- a lot lighter than I expected.

Quote:
Do the Rock Beasts have a stiffer sidewall than Super Swampers, or are you using stiffer foams?
I won this set at a g6 about a year ago, and they seem a little nicer compound than the swampers. I just have stock foams in them now, I have a set from Crawler Innovations coming in thursday
brokennib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:23 PM   #84
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
I'd like to know as well. I've made a set of foams from X-HD upholstery foam and they seem to work, but it would be nice to find a set from a vendor.
Quote:
I just switched to Pro-Line's 2 stage memory foams, and what a difference. I had star cut foams in the Super Swampers before, and under the 13lb weight of my Jeep, they were looking flat, the 2 stage foams make the tire stand taller, but still are soft enough to wrap around a rock. If you check out my build thread, the second to last photo is with the star cut foams, and the last photo is with the new 2 stage foams.
Single Stage Closed Cell for 2.2 Tall Tires

Ive had good luck with these in my scx10 (a 10lb truck) doesnt deteriorate when it gets wet, or absorb water, and you still get a good contact patch. I like'em.

Last edited by brokennib; 01-20-2015 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:21 PM   #85
Rock Crawler

Foams came in a few days ago, not a huge contact patch on them to be honest. But i'm hoping these big 2.2 foams will mellow out over time.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:37 PM   #86
Rock Crawler

Of coursed everything on this jeep is test, tweak, repeat. Only one screw holding the dash in place, popped that on the first rollover. Homebrew brackets, to the rescue.

One of the things that irks me about these jeeps is that these seats dont really conform to reality, if you know what I mean. The driver always looks like he has a flag pole up his butt. So I made my own seat. Once Joe parks his PVC ass in this thing, he looks a little more natural, and you dont even see the bottom. And yeah, I know this seat right now is looking FUGLY, I'll have to make a prettier version later.

I'm working on a video tonight, let's just say I have to make Joe a seat belt. The slow-mo's pretty funny though.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:23 PM   #87
Rock Crawler

Old 01-27-2015, 06:53 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Honestly brokennib, those seats are more realistic than the one-piece molded seats on my early Hasbro Jeep, they look good, maybe just make a better cushion. the video is cool, you definitely need to make a harness for Joe, though, the way he's flopping back and forth in the video, looks like he'll break his neck or throw his back out, LOL

Last edited by Mike Flea; 01-27-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:35 PM   #89
Rock Crawler

Wow, I havent updated this for awhile, I did a good amount of work on this thing since I posted last...
For one thing: Gears.
Turns out I screwed up initially and had a wierd gear combo going on in the axles . I was running stock in the rear and was under-geared in the front. Now i'm running 43 /13 diff gears front and rear. I also picked up another transfer case and swapped out the .75:1 for the 2.18:1 . bumped up the motor gears (18 pinion, 87 spur) to help give this thing some giddy-up.

Shocks.
Installed a set of 100 mm Kings in the rear. These shocks are not exactly stellar performers, and they are impossible to bleed properly, but they do help with the torque twist and improve the articulation somewhat.

Front end:
Bought another set of tubes from RCBros, so I can properly clock the front end. also a set of Vanquish steering hubs, so the front end doesn't have that "sag" it had before.

Center drive line:
Finally got around to cutting down an old MIP drive to help bullet-proof this thing. A bit fugly, but it works.

I took the jeep to an event in Moon Rocks, Nevada a couple of weeks ago. And made it to gate 50 before it puked up the center driveline. I was so proud! It's great to watch this thing work!

Old 03-12-2015, 03:47 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

What a great build. I just letting you know, I'm going to be stealing a lot of you ideas. Great videos .
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:39 PM   #91
Pebble Pounder

Great last photo with the scenery in the background. I am glad you go the Jeep crawling. I wish there were more 1/6 Willys Jeeps in NJ area.
Jeepin-Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:57 AM   #92
Rock Crawler

There still isn't a lot of guys who wheel these in my area, there's a bigger group in L.A. than up here in Nor Cal. But it seems there are a few more every year.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:16 AM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Is there anything you wish you would have done differently, or thought of after the build was finished?
Old 03-15-2015, 04:30 AM   #94
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelerzman View Post
Is there anything you wish you would have done differently, or thought of after the build was finished?
The build is never really finished But I dont think I would do anything radically different. I could have gone with a 2:18 transfer case from the start, but with the .75 it runs awesome as well. The gearing on this thing is still a learning experience, but that's part of the fun.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:34 AM   #95
Rock Stacker

Congrats, and good job hanging in there!
ANUFSED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:00 PM   #96
Rock Crawler

Stared working on a "job box" for the back of the jeep, something I can drop the battery in and keep it out of sight.

Plus a quick vid just running in a field. I love how this thing just mows on through the tall stuff !

http://vid294.photobucket.com/albums...ps39psdt3d.mp4
Old 04-01-2015, 03:24 PM   #97
I wanna be Dave

Very nice. let us know the rig works with it installed.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:16 AM   #98
RCC Addict

do you have a build thread of the blue b@stard?
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:39 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

what thickness/Dia. is that cage/bumper rod ? 3/16" solid ?
looks kinda thin for an 1/6th scale rig.

nicely constructed tho'
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote