Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 1:6 Dodge Ram IFS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2016, 02:08 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 1:6 Dodge Ram IFS

I've heard that WR8 dogbones can be used over in the super nitro forums. Since they are a bit shorter, not sure what what will do for downtravel and what not. I've got original SN dogbones and axles on my 1/10 build, and I don't think they'll hold up to weight of a bigger build. MT2 or Mini Trophy would be better.

I swapped over to PL K02's and they shocked me with how much traction they got pretty much everywhere. This truck absolutely owned the trail.. Drives like a large SCX10, but with the added weight, it's a very scale drive. Lots of fun, and super capable.

New shoes!

Added some lighting... Maybe next time I'll actually turn them on and take a pic.

Getting to it:

OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2016, 09:26 PM   #82
Rock Stacker

What a great looking truck!! Love this build. So realistic.
I'm totally inspired by this. I came across a black crew cab Ram for free a few weeks back and I've been wondering what to do with it??
Seeing this pretty helped me decide what my winter project will be this year.
j.krug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:02 PM   #83

I have the same body and can't wait to build it. Nice truck man.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
HeroSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:15 PM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Still around! Dust it off every few years and mess around with it.
(2 years later)

Sucks that all the pics are gone. Thanks Photobucket.

Been a long time since I gave this truck some attention. Apparently, I only run it every 2 years or so. Since it's so muddy out on the trails this time of year, it's a perfect time for a big ol' scale truck with 2.2 XL's.

I just kind of rigged up a few things to drive it last time, so I spent some time on a better layout. Made a battery tray to put the battery up over the front wheels for a bit better bias. I made it long enough to mount the electronics out back as well so the chassis is a bit cleaner.

Tekin ROC is still putting down the power, using a Yeti trans w/2 speed. It has a center shaft and a bearing carrier since the truck is so long.

It's a bit big for my course, but managed to get around just fine!

Just barely fit over the bridges.

Extra weight up front is very noticeable.

Bothers me that the pumpkin is on the wrong side, but that's where the trans output is. I'd rather have a straighter run for the shaft than scale accuracy. For now anyway. A centered rear axle would be nice too.

I rebuilt this ramp since it was all but impossible for my 1/10 rigs. The Ram was the first to try it, and no problems at all.

I do need to do some weatherproofing before hitting the trail, but it drives just awesome. It's a heavy body with a somewhat high COG, so it's got a lot of body roll. Even with 1.8 buggy shocks and some seriously heavy springs it bobs and weaves like Apollo Creed. Since it's heavy, it gets great traction makes a nice THWOK every time it bangs off the rocks. Really cool truck to drive.

I'm thinking about a new chassis. version 6 or so now. Going much more scale with a CMS, motor/trans up front, divorced t-case, etc. Very happy with the swap to solid axles...it's now like a giant SCX10. May as well set up the chassis similar. Lots of room in here for some pretty cool drivetrain setups too. The gears never stop turning...

Eventually....needs to get out and get muddy first.

Last edited by OSRC; 12-27-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:22 AM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Still my all time favorite build!
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:55 AM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Got the Ram out for a nice 2 hour trail run. Other than a loose wheel, it ran like a dream. Took a little while getting use to it after driving the TRX4 for a few hours, but once I got in the zone, it proved very capable.

At the top of my "test rock" - I usually hit this rock with all my trucks as kind of a benchmark. It's an off camber climb with a challenging dip about 3/4 of the way up. No problem with such a long wheelbase, a ton of weight and grippy XL tires.

Straddling the dip.

Thought this was a cool shot. Paused while going up and over.

Truck is so big, I put the radio in the bed when nature calls.... Better than setting it on the wet ground I guess. (Wet from the rain of course)

The suspension is a bit too soft. Got some serious torque twist while climbing and a little 3 wheel action at times. I cranked down on the spring collars out back which helped, though I think a swaybar will be in this trucks future.

Follow the arrow... lol. Really need to do something about the door handles and that missing mirror at some point.

So, this was a great run, but there's a ton of room for improvement. Took advantage of some after Xmas sales and got some new lockers coming, as well as a centered rear axle. Not a fan of the Yeti trans either, it was loud and annoying. Think I can do better.

Also, need a camera mount or something. Love to get some video of this big beast at work.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:40 AM   #87
I wanna be Dave

One of my favorite builds of all time. It's stood the test of time. I have to laugh at the timing! I cleaned out my storage unit and came across the six ram bodies I stockpiled after seeing this! Someday I'll get around to building one! At least I have the blueprints! So nice to see this! Happy new year! OS!
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:42 AM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Happy NY to you as well! and thanks as always for the kind words! This truck has been around a long time in one form or another. It's come a long way since it had an acrylic chassis, e-maxx trans and TXT axles. All for the better I think.

Been a busy week here at the OS compound. Christmas, my birthday, NYE, and my daughter's birthday all in 1 week. Not to mention rampant bronchitis ripping it's way through the house. But today the kids are back at school, and hopefully we'e getting back to normal.

So looking at my RC fund, a new chassis is going to have to wait a bit - I'll make due with what I have for now. I did order some goodies for the truck - brass weights for the front axle, a centered SSD rear axle and a set of heavyweight FI spools. Should be adding some weight down low where it is sorely needed. Figured that was a better bang for the buck compared to new chassis plates.

Speaking of COG, I did make a change in the transmission department. The crap Yeti trans is gone, and an RC4WD AX2 stolen from my Wraith has taken it's place. Allowed me to move the entire trans a bit more forward and lower the motor as well. Flipped the skid and just drilled some new holes.

Entire transmission and motor are much lower and further north in the chassis. Win/Win. The motor was above the chassis rails previously. Every little bit counts!

Also puts the outputs on the left side of the chassis, so I'll have to do some axle origami and switch the pumpkin to the left side where it belongs.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:15 AM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Gave the old girl some love this weekend.

First off - some upgrades. Out back, replaced the RC4WD axle with an SSD centered rear axle. HD gears (std. ratio) and an FI heavyweight spool. While I like the spool and I'm sure its indestructible, it has the same amount of wiggle with the axle shafts that the old HR spool did. Do like that it's heavy - this truck needs some weight down low for sure - every bit helps. Axle looks great! The off color link mounts annoy me a bit, but not enough to do anything about it.

Mounted up. I used an HR Wraith kit and fudged up a rear swaybar. It's kinda janky, though it feels pretty good on the bench. I'm not sure how it will hold up under this pig, we'll see.

Put the rear axle up front to put the pumpkin on the correct side. Not that there's a lot of scale detail going on here, but it looks better to my eyes. Also added some knuckle weights and a DMG skid to keep that ARB dff cover from getting completely destroyed. I'll eventually paint that axle housing black once the weather warms up. Inside, its got OD gears and another heavyweight spool. The front actually had an Axial stock locker in it. Surprised at how well it has held up.

Moved the electronics around a bit. I remounted the carrier bearing on the skid over a bit so I could drop the ESC down there. Also put the receiver in a box just to clean things up a bit.

Gratuitous shots of the new axles. Unfortunately, my Gearheads did not clear the knuckle weights so I had to swap wheels. :( I did make a new door handle though! Still working on the mirror...not sure what I want to do there.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:10 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Looking better, more like a 2500 now
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:00 PM   #91
I wanna be Dave

Truck is rolling along!

I need to switch the motor rotation, and for the life of me I cannot find my Castle Link/QPC. So it runs, just backwards.... still digging for the card. Think I need to clean the shop, losing a lot of stuff lately.

Also, the knuckle weights cause binding on the short axle. I'm not sure why, they work fine on my plastic axle housings. Tolerances are slightly different on the RC4WD axles apparently, so I put the stock knuckles back on for now. I ordered a "steel" axle case and some Beef Patties to weight the front down. Just waiting for the parts to come in and I'll mix and match.

In the meantime, found some older pics from when this was an IFS truck...since the pics were long lost on PB, thought I'd repost them!

Old 01-21-2019, 06:41 PM   #92
I wanna be Dave

You've inspired me to re-work my 1/8 Dodge. Originally it was mounted on the second gen AX-10 chassis, now I'm going to build up another SCX-10 chassis. Debating on getting a set of Wraith axles or wheel wideners.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:30 AM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Spent this past weekend at a local "Cabin Fever" show. Basically a bunch of machinists making cool things in their spare time. Lots of steam powered creations, trains, trucks and farm equipment. Saw some incredible stuff I had to share. Apologies in advance for the crappy pics, my phone sucks.

Not sure what this is - almost a motor of some kind, but there's a lot of machine work going on. Built from scratch - people's hidden talent amazes me. There were all kinds of cool little contraptions..Slinky testers, water pumps, tractors, etc. Even....

......a scale machine shop. I've seen pics on line, but it's much more impressive in person. Basically there's a little steam motor in the back which turns a belt, and all the tools inside are belt driven. Drill press actually drills holes in pennies, and there's sanders, table saws, all kinds of stuff in here. Jaw dropping detail.

Of course, there's quite a few hand made motors...

The scale construction site was in full swing, and the star of the show. It was 3 deep around while I was there and getting pics was difficult. Large remotely operated dragline was amazing, and the trucks/dozers/excavators of course were way cool. Quite a few of our old crawler club was there having made the switch over to construction equipment and semis. I've been debating for a while, but broke down and ordered my first semi truck last night.

and trains.... OMG. A few pics for Mike Flea. All live steam, they were amazing. Some were kits, some were scratch built. Most were controlled via RC which ran the basic functions - throttle, brakes, injectors, etc. The amount of detail that goes into them has to be seen to be believed. There was a Pennsy K4 pulling 32 cars around the loop and didn't even look like it was working hard. Just a few pics...the NKP Berkshire is one of my favorites, the the Shay was amazing too. Could have spent all day right at this section.

This behemoth really caught my attention. 2-6-0 Mogul that was sold as a build it yourself kit by.....O.S. Engines! Who knew? Apparently they offered steam locomotive kits back in the day. Was $17k when purchased and according to the owner went together like fine jewelry. Runs like a dream.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:33 AM   #94
I wanna be Dave

Ok, back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Since the knuckle weights didn't work out, I picked up a "steel" axle housing and some beef patties for the front axle. Weight-wise, they are actually a bit heavier than the RC4WD axle and knuckle weights.

Axle completed - went together with no issues. I painted the diff cover black and it looks much better imo.

Mounted on the truck, and the patties installed as well. Lots of weight down low and up front now, very happy with the setup.

I knew the transmission had plastic gears inside - not going to fly with a 12lb truck and the ROC motor. Picked up a steel gear set, but of course nothing is ever easy. Came with a 1 piece output for an SCX transmission. So I mixed and matched some parts and got it to work.

The trans had a modified dig that allowed the axle to freewheel. I removed it and put the regular output back in for strength.

And found a large 32p spur in my stash that I swapped over. It's just a bit too large though, just hits the driveshaft output. Doh!! I ended up doing a bit of shaving on both the gear and the output and got everything to clear.

Mechanically it's done. Just waiting for warmer weather to go play. Also ordered some aluminum to cut the next chassis, though I'd like to run it as is first. Next chassis will have the motor up front and a t-case, CMS, and a few other changes. All in due time!
Old 01-22-2019, 08:10 PM   #95
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the pics! I almost bought that Mich-Cal 2 cyl Shay, the guy that had it wanted $1200 for it, $400 out of my budget at the time.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:42 AM   #96
I wanna be Dave

I'd love to see a 1:1 running in person. They are a rarity on the east coast though. PA RR museum has a Shay, Heisler, and Climax - all on static display though.

$1200's not bad at all, I have idea what those things cost. One of those "If you have to ask what it costs, you probably can't afford it"
Old 01-23-2019, 06:57 PM   #97
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'd love to see a 1:1 running in person. They are a rarity on the east coast though. PA RR museum has a Shay, Heisler, and Climax - all on static display though.

$1200's not bad at all, I have idea what those things cost. One of those "If you have to ask what it costs, you probably can't afford it"

You want to see a 1:1 running, go to Cass, W.Va: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...virginia&sm=12

You won't be disappointed. When my eldest brother was in college, his dorm roomie came from W.Va, and over the summer of '64, Jim's family invited our family to W.Va, and while there, took us to see the geared loco's running. At that time the sawmill was still in operation, and not a scenic railroad. Being city-folk, we had never seen loco's like these. I can still remember hearing the echoes of the whistle through the mountains.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:37 PM   #98
I wanna be Dave

I had to come over to this thread and see what yall were talking about this dodge for...

that is bad ass, you should drive it more often lol.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:23 AM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
You want to see a 1:1 running, go to Cass, W.Va:
I forgot all about CSRR! I was just down that way last year too! Dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
I had to come over to this thread and see what yall were talking about this dodge for...

that is bad ass, you should drive it more often lol.
Thanks, it's a ton of fun. Ready to go whenever the weather decides to cooperate.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:46 AM   #100
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Truck is rolling along!

I need to switch the motor rotation, and for the life of me I cannot find my Castle Link/QPC. So it runs, just backwards.... still digging for the card. Think I need to clean the shop, losing a lot of stuff lately.

Also, the knuckle weights cause binding on the short axle. I'm not sure why, they work fine on my plastic axle housings. Tolerances are slightly different on the RC4WD axles apparently, so I put the stock knuckles back on for now. I ordered a "steel" axle case and some Beef Patties to weight the front down. Just waiting for the parts to come in and I'll mix and match.

In the meantime, found some older pics from when this was an IFS truck...since the pics were long lost on PB, thought I'd repost them!

Those wheels look great, what are they?
ternandbern is offline   Reply With Quote