I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 1:6 Dodge Ram IFS

Old Traxxas 2.2 Stampede wheels.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2020, 07:37 AM   #102
I wanna be Dave

Been a long time since I had Big Mo out... Currently running a Tekin ROC, RC4WD AX2 and a set of huge 2.2 Baja Claws.

The truck runs great! Climbs like a beast with OD/UD in the axles, huge footprint, giant tires and even with a somewhat high COG it's very stable on everything but sidehills. It's not terrible, but it could certainly be better.

Started out pretty early on a warm(ish) Sunday morning... There's a foot of snow coming this week so this is probably the last chance to be out for a while. Not the best pics, the angle of the sun was confounding my camera.

Compared to some of the trucks I was running with... I got a tire up on top of this poor TRX4 without even breaking a sweat.

After about 40 minutes, I noticed I had less and less steering. Turns out I lunched the servo gears, again. 3 servos so far have met their maker on this truck - it's just so big and heavy, it puts a ton of stress on the servo gears. Fine on the trail, but get into the technical stuff and things get stressed.

So, since I didn't have much steering, I started back to my truck to switch rigs. Came across a very nice rock that had a perfect ramp angle, about 2 feet tall and a nice long downslope for landing....so, I set it into 2nd gear and sent it! Very out of character for me, I usually never beat my trucks. Feeling feisty I guess. Good Lord, the ROC motor on just 2S will pull the front tires on occasion ... way more power than I'm used to. Anyway, landed perfectly on all 4 tires....so I did it a few more times. I got cocky though, and pushed it a bit too far. Lined up as afar back as I could get and punched it. Without steering, I couldn't really control in flight attitude, went about 4 feet up and a very awkward landing left me barrel rolling into some rocks. A nearly 13lb truck does not take lightly to high speeds and barrel rolls. Busted the front body mounts, rear shock, rear swaybar, bent 2 links and lost the door handle. Also toasted the slipper which wasn't happy about the high speed antics. Whoops!

I was planning a rebuild anyway, so this is the perfect opportunity. Already ordered a new servo and BEC (1/5 scale....I need the bigger beefier gears) and planning on a more scale setup with the motor up front and a CMS setup. Should keep me busy over the winter, that's for sure.

Been wrenching on the truck in 1 form or another for over 12 years now. This will be chassis number 7! Been a monster truck, Go fast truck, IFS truck and now a solid axle crawler.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 08:42 AM   #103
Quarry Creeper

Man I always loved this truck but for some reason my favorite stage was the IFS. I guess just because it was so different to everything you could buy or saw being built around that time.(almost always solid axle rigs)

Maybe axial trophy truck donor for go fast IFS? lol

Last edited by 350TacoZilla; 12-19-2020 at 08:45 AM.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:04 AM   #104
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
Maybe axial trophy truck donor for go fast IFS? lol
It's been done and it works great basicly its just a body swap not like this rig thats a custom build
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 04:29 PM   #105
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
It's been done and it works great basicly its just a body swap not like this rig thats a custom build

Ah Yeah I guess reading my post it doesnt make it obvious I meant using just the IFS from the axial trophy on his custom frame (one of the 7 lol)
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:30 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
Ah Yeah I guess reading my post it doesnt make it obvious I meant using just the IFS from the axial trophy on his custom frame (one of the 7 lol)

this is an awesome build. now if i can figure out a way to post pics i could show you guys my 1/6 dodge
THREE7FABRICATION is offline   Reply With Quote