Notices

Thread: 1:6 Dodge Ram IFS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #61
RCC Addict

Default Re: 1:6 Dodge Ram IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by die-laughing View Post
Thats awesome! I want to see it out there, doin' its thing.. but, with something out there along side it for comparison to see how big this thing actually is!
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSman View Post
Is there any possiblity of getting a side by side pic of this truck and maybe an scx10 for example... just would like to see the size comparison. Amazing work btw.
Yeah.. I really want to see how big this beast actually is. A picture flexing on a 1/10 truck would be awesome!
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2012, 06:18 AM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Let me see what I can do - have the front torn apart for a new bumper at the moment.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #63
Rock Stacker

That is one beautiful truck. I've got a 1:1 Ram and this is giving me ideas... I'll have to start looking around wal-mart to see if they still have those bodys. Looks great.
4door5speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:06 AM   #64
Gold Star Baby!

You should send some pics to a 1:1 off road mag and see if they would pair it thinking its fullsize. I'm a dodge fan and I want it. Sweet bud dude.
vwmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #65
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4door5speed View Post
That is one beautiful truck. I've got a 1:1 Ram and this is giving me ideas... I'll have to start looking around wal-mart to see if they still have those bodys. Looks great.

Old post, but you would be better off looking around swap meets, ebay and I've found a few of them at the local DAV's and Goodwills
79cutlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:59 PM   #66
I wanna be Dave

I can't believe I started this truck 7 years ago. Goes to show what having kids does to your hobbies!

In any case, I've learned quite a bit since I built it in its current configuration and have a ton of ideas and 2.2 tires that need a home, so I'm debating its future.

BUT before I even consider tearing down anything, and since it's been on the shelf for nearly 2 years, I thought it was time to dust her off and go beat on it first.

Made some mods since the last post. Originally, I had a wheely king axle w/extensions...I just swapped out with a Wraith axle, and beefed up the rear driveshaft with a modded Revo shaft.

View from the front- still solid and working great since I built it. Lots of aluminum here.

I originally did velcro mounts, but they were so low energy. Just wasn't strong enough to hold the heavy body on. Went with standard body mounts for piece of mind.

Power is now a ROC/MMM combo. PLENTY of power even on 2S - 3 speeds counts for a lot!

Current chassis setup. Everything is kinda high, always has been. Makes for a fun driving experience!

Recently made a new solid front bumper - I wanted a minimal look (and I ran out of tube!) Also running R35 ripsaws and some TRX rims. I liked the simple look of the rims better than the beadlocks i had on in the past.

And out and about... put 2 5000 mah packs though before the rear R/P gears disintegrated.

Front diff is still open - nice to know I can now add a yeti locker should I want to. Can see it diffing out here.

Even with the ROC motor and how heavy this truck is, the Tamiya 3 speed has never missed a beat. It gets up and goes in high gear too.

So now what? I'm not sure, thinking about a single speed trans, simple chassis, and just going with solid axles front and rear. More of a crawler/Trail rig. I love this truck to be honest - first thing I ever really built outside of a kit. I think I'll retire the chassis with full honors, and start over from scratch. Maybe, I don't know. Decisions, decisions!
Old 09-08-2016, 08:18 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

I'm a Dodge fan, I've had this build in my Favorites list for a long time, looking forward to see what you change/modify

I've got the 1/8 Raminator body that I found in someone's trash a couple years ago. It's not so scale looking as it has bigger radiused wheelwells due to it being a monster truck body.

Last edited by Mike Flea; 09-08-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:04 AM   #68
I wanna be Dave

I've tried the stubby monkey rc spool for the yeti/exo terra, and it doesn't work. You have to use a 2 piece lunchbox locker in the stock diff cup. Bad ass rig, still my favorite large scale!
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:46 PM   #69

Great photos! I hope to see this run in person some day.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:25 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the kind words fellas... it was a fun rig. Was. Too late JTR, though someday I might get this pig out on the trail in some form or another.

Stashed it all in a box - can easily be rebuilt if needed. On to a new chapter ...

Donor rig - fairly heavily modded AX10. Stealing the axles with OD/UD gears, HD lockers and some other goodies.

Whipped up a little more standard style chassis, and roughing everything out.

Bed is starting to get a little swiss cheesed! I'll fix it up eventually. Might swap over later to a cantilever set-up - I've got plenty or room. Started with stand up shocks just to get going though.

Wraith axles are just about perfect. I'll eventually have some wheels with a bit less offset.

Mocking up...looks almost the same! lol. Driver side door handle fell off now, so at least both sides match.

New trans should be here tomorrow.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:15 PM   #71
I wanna be Dave

Sliders brazed up...I am terrible at brazing, but I think they'll hold up. Big trans plate added as well.

Since I had a Yeti 2 speed sitting here I took out of my TT, I ordered a matching trans to go with it. This this is huge! Can't believe this gets shoehorned into an SCX chassis. The rear hub will be used as a carrier to lengthen the driveshaft...
Old 09-15-2016, 05:56 PM   #72
RCC Addict

Talk about a blast from the past! Glad to see the old rig is still around!
danielk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:54 PM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Still around! Dust it off every few years and mess around with it.

Got in the zone with building and got the chassis pretty much done except for a few odds and ends.

Transmission mounted

Electronic mess...lots of wires here, and more to come. Mocked up and just zip tied for now, will clean up later. Battery is on top of the chassis SCX style, and electronics are on the sides.

2.2 standard TSL's look perfect on this truck! Foams are probalby going to need some work, so I just got them mocked up on the wheels enough for a test run.

Got these shocks somehow in a trade = Integy big bore "scale shocks" where the springs were way, way too stiff for anything 1/10 scale. Been in my parts box forever. However, they are absolutely perfect for the truck. If they don't leak..I have some doubts.

Started bumper work...I prefer minimal bumpers front and rear...and I cannot braze for jack. So far, so good though. Have a bit more detail coming in front, and then on to the rear.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:10 PM   #74
I wanna be Dave

Nice bumper
Old 09-25-2016, 05:03 PM   #75
I wanna be Dave

I had planned to take my Sawback out on the trail run, and then take the Ram out for a quick shakedown run when we were done. But the Sawback spun off the pinion after 5 minutes, so after the walk of shame, I just grabbed the Ram and hoped nothing fell apart on the trail! I just kind of have it slapped together - didn't even threadlock anything.

Pleased to say it did the entire trail run, with style! Performed nearly flawlessly, just lost a window and mirror, and all but wore out the steering servo.. Was a great shakedown, I've got a small list of changes to do, then paint and call it good!

ROC power in second gear...just insane. This truck will do cyclones like a monster truck. Very impressive.

Couple of showoff pics.

Climbs like a goat with the longish WB and OD/UD gearing.

One area that needs work - need to move the front axle back a touch

Fully flexed - 100mm shocks are perfect. I'm not sure about the Integy's...pretty sure they lost all their oil.

Carnage - rear window fell out after a pretty nasty tumble.

Didn't exactly take it easy...quite a few launches..

I'm not 100% on the bumpers...might rework the front and rear bumpers a bit, and tuck in the sliders a bit. Also need to work on the gears - the stock spur gear is unbelievably noisy.

On to paint...black for the chassis, and possibly re-spraying the body too. Not sure.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:16 PM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Stripped down the chassis and gave everything a coat of black. Looks legit...looks a lot better than a bunch of mismatched metal.

Tucked the rear bumper in bit - originally it hung way out the back. Much better

Also tucked in the sliders.

Debated doing more with the front bumper, but left it alone for now. I do have lights to tuck in there, next project.

May have noticed the wheel change - I modded these defective, pile of garbage RC4WD rims so now instead of cutting beads, they accomdate Proline tires. Finally able to mount them on something. Looks good! I've got K02's on the way, I think they'll look perfect.

Have the trans apart at the moment awaiting the upgraded slipper parts. The stock gear sounds terrible....hoping the slipper plates smooth it out a bit. Otherwie, not planning any more changes other than the tires. Very happy with it!
Old 10-01-2016, 05:30 PM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Looks real good with the tuck, much cleaner
Old 10-15-2016, 07:39 AM   #78
Rock Stacker

I just bought those wheels, what did you end up modding to fix them? Smooth the edge of the inner ring?
CHEVOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:51 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Thanks for the kind words fellas... it was a fun rig. Was. Too late JTR, though someday I might get this pig out on the trail in some form or another.
How things change so quickly.

I friggin' love this truck despite the fact that it's a Dodge.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:04 AM   #80
I wanna be Dave

I've just bought a few more dog bones to padd up my stash for my build.

FYI: While browsing ebay I found that the wr8 dog bones are just 1mm shorter than for the mtdt/mt2/Snr. I haven't tried to see if it fits the cups yet, although I have a wr8 too.

I hope they fit, because there's sellers that have them for less than $5 for 2 shipped from overseas.

I just found all my windows and head/tail lights from my first body too, so now I have a second.

What did you do with the original IFS chassis? PM me if interested in selling it.

Last edited by Gula; 10-25-2016 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Moar info
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote