Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Willys Project M-38

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Willys Project M-38

I'm not sure how I missed this one but WOW, turning out great, your front grill looks perfect !
reddevildemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #22
RCC Addict

This build is really coming along nicely Cants wait to see the detail you add using your 1:1 as inspiration.

Subscribed
701 Technique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Thanks to everyone thats commented so far . Alot of you have been inspirational with your Willys builds and I've learned alot about them already by watching you guys..!

I can already tell by far that this ones going to be one of my Fav's and its not even complete yet..! I CAN'T wait to get it out on the trails..!!

I didn't get as much done this weekend as I wanted to, but heres a small update.

This Jeep IS going to be getting a scale "M100" trailer to eventually tow behind it, so I wanted to reinforce the stock plastic frame with 1/4" styrene and re-build the rear bumper so It will be up to the task.

Gone are the stock "bumperettes" and stock plastic pintle hook. (I already have an RC4WD pintle and lunette reciever ring in the mail headed this way as we speak ).

Heres some reinforcement under the bumper

Next up was the addition of a small fan to keep the underhood electronics somewhat cool. So out came the styrene, and heres the start of a "radiator"

After about an hour or so I came up with this....

I went ahead and made some mounting tabs on the inside of the grill for it to so after it gets painted, its simply slides into place and will be held on with C.A.

And heres a trial checking for how it fits...

So far, so good. However I knew even once its painted flat black, you would still be able to see the fan blades, which is fine and all, but I wanted to see if I could try and hide them... Then I came up with this idea...

This worked PERFECT..!!!

Once the styrene and screw heads get painted black you won't be able to see it at all.

Heres the completed frame (minus the pintle hook) back from paint, ready for re-assembly.

And heres where we are at right now. Hopefully I can get more done over the week and have an update soon. Thanks for watching- stay tuned..!

51WillysJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Cool build. That radiator/fan setup came out awesome! Great work
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

It looks great so far, I'm jealous of your grill, it looks perfect. What did you use for the headlight lenses, the markings look very good.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

very nice... love the mesh for the grill... may have to try something like it
brandonwalsh420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

I would like to know more about the headlight lenses also. I am needing some for my 1.9 TJ scaler project. This build is very nice. You do some quality work Also giving me lots of ideas for my Willys
TJ Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Thanks Guys-

The headlight lenses and inner chrome light buckets were actually a direct take-off from a 1/6th scale Newbright Jeep Wrangler TJ ( I've had a few of them over the years, and I've still got extra parts kicking around, so thats where I found them ) Also - the black "trim" that can be seen around the headlights are actually old plastic 35mm film canisters, that I trimmed down and then slid the buckets and lenses right into. So far they've worked perfectly.

I had some time to fill in the unwanted holes in the rear section of the body and on the front fender as well with some styrene.

Then I got to thinking about something I'd seen "BigSki" do on the new Willys hes currently building. I thought the addition of the gas filler recess was such a cool idea I just had to add it to my rig as well. I also went ahead and filled in the indents for the shovel and ax on the drivers side.

Out came the good ole' styrene again and I whipped these up

Once mounted I scuffed the side down and shot it with some primer to see where we're at. I've still got some finish work to do with some green spot putty, but so far so good.

I know I mentioned it before but this ones been SO much fun to build..! I can't wait to finally drive it around..! More to come soon...

Last edited by 51WillysJeep; 05-16-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

The addition of the gas tank filler opening makes a huge visual difference on these bodies, you did a great job with yours. I'm loving those wheels more and more, I might have to turn loose my O.G. CAC Dune 6 wheels to buy a set of those!
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:37 AM   #30

Thumbs up Re: Willys Project M-38

You've made some great progress on it. The small details you are being sure to get are a massive difference. Do you have any plans to get rid of that big transmission tunnel and recreating it more to scale, or is the space needed underneath for the driveline?

Final color? Same as your 1:1?

If you're not careful with this one.... You might out-do Clampy
THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Wow! The detail in this build are absolutely incredible! Really nice craftmanship!
RockEd out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #32
RCC Addict

I just love the grill, what did you use for the head lights in this?
Old 05-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #33
Rock Stacker

this thing is going to rock. what am i saying, it already does! i think i'm starting to regret buying an xr10, i should have stuck the money into my 1/6 scale jeep. inspirational! thanks for sharing!
freddyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Thanks Guys- for everyone thats asked about the headlight lenses, they were a direct take-off from a 1/6th scale Newbright TJ pictured below.

And I believe the chrome buckets I used were from a few dollar store throw away flashlights.

Here is todays progress...

This is trying to figure out the best way to mount these new seats. I also cut out the stock rear seat mount and the gun mounting plate as well.

Then I fabbed up a new lower ribbed floor pan

I also went ahead and took this next small detail straight out of the "BigSki Willys builder guide -101" . After seeing this detail on his Willys build, and then also seeing it up close on my 1:1 I knew I had to add it here as well.

This thin piece of added styrene channel along the inside of the upper body line was a PITA to get right, but once complete, it was well worth the extra effort it took to add. Its funny how such a small detail like this makes a huge difference with the overall look.

And instead of adding tube rock sliders along the sides of the body for protection, I went ahead and fabbed up the same kind of sliders that I added on my 1:1.

Simple, effective and to the point. Heres how they're attatched.

They should be able to withstand some pretty good trail abuse. More to come tomorrow..

Last edited by 51WillysJeep; 05-19-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX_138 View Post
You've made some great progress on it. The small details you are being sure to get are a massive difference. Do you have any plans to get rid of that big transmission tunnel and recreating it more to scale, or is the space needed underneath for the driveline?

Final color? Same as your 1:1?

If you're not careful with this one.... You might out-do Clampy

Thanks Joe, I am actually going to leave the tunnel alone, as I need the extra space for the transfer case underneath. I think the final color on this one will be a semi flat red with some black accents here and there. I don't think this one will be quite as detailed as Clampy, but I do know what lies ahead, so we shall see what happens....
Old 05-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Today I went ahead and got the front bumper situation all figured out.

I originally picked up an 1/8th scale 3Racing Warn winch for this build, but I knew I didn't want to run it with the supplied controller from 3Racing. I will be running a modded Traxxas TQ3 radio for this truck, and I already installed a 3 position switch in the radio on the 3rd channel. So after doing a quick search in the electronics section on here, I figured out how to turn an old servo into a winch control and presto, working winch from the radio..! ( one of the coolest things I've seen yet..! )

The original plan for the front bumper was going to basically re-use the stock plastic reinforced setup that came stock on the jeep. However I already know the kind of terrain thats in this Willys future, so I figured I'd better "overbuild" now vs. wishing I had done so when it does get buried up to the rockers in the mud.

Heres what I came up with....

I made a full "U" shaped frame mounted single piece that extends back to under the front shocks from 1/2" aluminum angle, then I added the top winch platform, and the actual front 1/8" bumper itself, all from aluminum stock ( I still need to trim the ends down on an angle a little bit).

I know its WAYY overkill but I then went ahead and added an extra lower aluminum frame support thats attatched directly to the winch mounting plate and also screwed thru the middle of the inner motor area floor pan. If this winch ever does RIP off the front of the jeep, half the jeep will be going along with it..!! . This piggys starting to get heavy now too..!!

I also got around to making a CB whip antenna for the rear.

And heres a few with everything mocked up and sitting as a roller. Still have a few things to work on, then it will be time to tear it all down and hit the paint booth. Stay tuned..

Last edited by 51WillysJeep; 05-20-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:26 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Damn, between you and Bigski - I'm thinking I should have spent a little more time on my Jeep body.

Looks excellent so far!
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

WOW!!!

I love it.
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #39
KMS
Rock Crawler

These are amazing good scaling rigs ,I had alot of fun building mine ,Nice job so far ,,KMS
KMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #40
RCC Addict

WOW. Looks awesome. The windshield looks perfect on there. You've done another outstanding job.

This one is headed towards the top of the list on these Willy's builds. I have to agree with Big Mike, my next one needs a lot more body work to even compare.

Willys Project M-38 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Willys MB LS Clone svaras Large Scale Rigs 20 02-13-2012 09:28 PM
1.9 Willys Jeep Pickup project! F-150Highlift 1.9 Scale Rigs 193 04-13-2011 01:01 PM
My willys project TwistedIntentions Large Scale Rigs 10 05-24-2009 09:15 PM
Willys Project HULK Large Scale Rigs 41 11-09-2007 10:20 PM