Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Willys Project M-38

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Willys Project M-38

Hey Guys, This ones been ongoing for the past few years off and on. I figure its time for a real build thread..!

I've always wanted to build a scale version of my 1:1 1951 Willys Jeep ( how I got my screen name ) Heres a few pics of the real deal. When I bought it years ago it was pretty much stock, and with the help of family and friends I built it into this..

And heres the start of the scale version. This is the Hasbro G.I.Joe Willys. I started off by making a new grille from styrene, and then modified the stock windshield frame and made it look like whats on the 1:1. Not sure what I'm going to run for axles just yet but this will be leafed and have 2.2" Swampers for sure..!

Stay tuned, theres plenty more to come..!

Last edited by 51WillysJeep; 01-26-2012 at 04:44 PM.
51WillysJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Willys Project - M38

That a sharp lil willys you got there! Very nice. Once again the master of styrene is at it with another cool project!
kdrodworks316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

What type of bonding agent did you use to get the stryene to stick to the stock windshield frame? Great work on the grill as well. Your model is going to look great, I'll be sure to do an extra good job on the project for it!
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:38 PM   #4
RCC Addict

That looks killer man. Haven't seen anyone change up the windshield yet. Looks nice. Axial axles wod probably get you close to scale width compared to the 1.1.
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdrodworks316 View Post
That a sharp lil willys you got there! Very nice. Once again the master of styrene is at it with another cool project!
Thanks Man..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
What type of bonding agent did you use to get the stryene to stick to the stock windshield frame? Great work on the grill as well. Your model is going to look great, I'll be sure to do an extra good job on the project for it!
If memory serves me correctly I think I cut the top half of the stock windshield off, then drilled small holes down the verticle length of the two remaining outer side posts. Then once I had the new upper frame made I drilled another set of holes in the same places and then used some 1/16" steel rod and slid them down the holes in the stock lower piece and super glued them in. The top piece then was glued down onto the steel posts sticking up from the stock frame. I then went ahead with a much thinner sheet of styrene and made the full outer front piece with the recesses for the air vent and such. Theres actually like 4 seperate super glued styrene pieces making up the new windshield frame and some bondo thrown in for good measure.. Should be plenty strong if this one ever rolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calikingcrawler View Post
That looks killer man. Haven't seen anyone change up the windshield yet. Looks nice. Axial axles wod probably get you close to scale width compared to the 1.1.

Thanks Man I may end up running Axials, time will tell. I wish RC4WD made some stronger scale axles for these 1/6th scale jeeps.

Last edited by 51WillysJeep; 01-22-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I'm sure you've been told before, but the seatbelts on your jeep are mounted very dangerously. If you only use at low trail speeds, I guess it wouldn't matter though.
WraithCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #7
RCC Addict

It's about time.

Looking good Chris, outstanding job on the gill and windshield. Looking forward to watching this one take shape.

How often do you uncap the exhaust dumps on the 1:1?
Jester666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithCrawler View Post
I'm sure you've been told before, but the seatbelts on your jeep are mounted very dangerously. If you only use at low trail speeds, I guess it wouldn't matter though.
Thanks, well truth be told, these pics of the jeep are actually a few years old now. I have since added a crossbar to the cage right behind where your shoulders are positioned in the seats and have mounted the lower seatbelt anchor points to that instead of how its shown now in the pics.. Thanks for the heads up though, and good information to put out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester666 View Post
It's about time.

Looking good Chris, outstanding job on the grill and windshield. Looking forward to watching this one take shape.

How often do you uncap the exhaust dumps on the 1:1?
LOL- Thanks bud..! The jeep is mainly used for going to cruise nights and car shows, and never really gets much trail time at all.. ( thats what the 1:1 samurai and 4Runner are for..!) I sometimes open the cutouts at carshows either coming or leaving, its fun to be loud and abnoxious at times..! They are operated by a simple switch in the dash.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Default Re: Willys Project M-38

..........and then.

Any pics of your 1:1 when you got it?
Jester666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester666 View Post
..........and then.

Any pics of your 1:1 when you got it?

......And then I've been playing with a certian Orange Jeep TJ that I bought off a buddy at the moment . I've still got some good things planned for this one though, so stay tuned. I'll have to check and see if I still have some pics of when I first got the 1:1.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Gott get subscribed to this build!
Your 1.1 is sick man!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TJ Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Any chance of getting a pic from the back side of the windshield on the M38? ( drivers perspective) I'm getting ready to build a 3A style windshield, they look very close to the M38 style.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Wow, I haven't updated this thread in a while...

Well, things have changed a lil bit from the original plan of exactly copying my 1:1 jeep, however when this build is completed, it will still be an M38 and hopefully will turn out as cool as the original plan.. Heres where we are at as of now.

I'm basically going about building this one as many others have by using the stock existing plastic frame and I've also taken many ideas from the various "top" Willys build threads I've seen over the past few months. I've mounted the RC4WD Disruptor transfer case as many others have, except I've also added some lower styrene "feet" for it to sit on instead of seemingly "teetering" on the lower t-case hump. This just makes the whole thing feel much more stable to me. ( sorry about the crappy pics..)

Its mounted to the front part of the plastic lower crossmember by the four horizontal screws that hold the two halfs of the t-case together, but its ALSO mounted by the 4 lower screw holes in the t-case as well. Yep, this sucker isn't going anywhere now..!!

Heres "Big Brother" stopping by to check and see how the progress is coming along so far..

Side note - *** "Big Brother" is actually the first 1/6 Willys scaler I ever built back in 2002 when these Hasbro G.I Joe bodys first came out. Its setup using Clod axles with front and rear 4 link suspension. Back then there were no real "scale" wheels, tires and axles to choose from so I build it with what I had available to buy back then. Yep, this is one of the the OG vintage Willys scalers .***

Back to the current build - I have also since added some 1/4" square aluminum stock to the lower portion of the inner chassis rails for strength, and have mounted up the 4 link suspension mounts. I've also just placed a "Mega" order with RPP for some super scale parts and accessories. When it all comes in, I will post up more progress pics - stay tuned.

Last edited by 51WillysJeep; 04-26-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Update on the ole' Willys...

Hey Guys - well my RPP parts order came in last week, and I finally got to work assembling things on the chassis. I purchased a set of Proline Swampers, and some 2.2" CAC EZ-Loc aluminum beadlocks ( I absolutely LOVE these wheels..! ). I also got some "Gear-Head" aluminum 4 link mounts, "GH Racing" aluminum servo mounts, Integy 45 turn lathe motor and 14 tooth pinion, Hitec HS-985MG coreless ultra torque servo, and some 10th scale aluminum diamond plate sheets.

Not exactly rocket science, but heres chopping the hood off.

Then it was time to fab up an aluminum battery tray that will sit directly under the cowl.

The hood was reassembled with some small brass hinges I had from past projects, and here it is with the batt tray installed.

Heres the completed chassis setup ready to be stripped back down and painted black. I ended up using a full 4 link suspension setup instead of the 3 link with panhard bar.

Heres the new sneakers - It will be a shame to get these all rock rashed up, but thats what this jeep is being built for..!

After what seemed like hours, I had the tranny hole cut into the lower portion of the body, and had dremeled away the stock plastic axle mounts for the new steering servo location. I also cut away the left portion of the "tranny hump" in the lower body to push the Axial tranny/motor setup back as far as possible.

Heres a quick trial fit of the steering servo. As with many others on here, its mounted nice and low directly thru the side of the inner fender.

I know its overkill, but I also went ahead and fabbed up this aluminum plate that mounts to the lower inner fender for the steering servo to mount against just for some added strength.

Back when I was in the beginning stages of planning this build earlier this year I had contacted "BigSki" to see if he might be interested in building me a rollcage similar to the one he made for his first orange jeep, with just a few small changes..

Well, he hit a homerun out of the park for me, and this piece of art drops right into place and fits like a glove ( Thanks again Walter..!! )

I also robbed a 1/6th scale Newbright TJ I have kicking around for its racing seats. These will look right at home in the Willys when its all said and done.

And heres the moment of truth when the body finally met with the completed chassis. There were just a few small changes in link length and we then had a roller ( finally..!! ).

The wheelbase is sitting exactly at 12.5"

And heres the mandatory first articulation shots.

I am REALLY happy with the way this jeep is turning out so far. Now its time to fill in some of the unwanted holes in the body, mount the grill, and get this sucker ready for paint. Stay tuned, theres more to come soon

Last edited by 51WillysJeep; 05-10-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Another great looking willy's build, I'm lookin forward to more updates on this.
greenjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

It looks great as a roller! I love those wheels, they look just like OutLaw II's. Glad the cage arrived in one piece, I was more nervous about shipping it than anything else.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #17

Looking awesome!
Sure is a long ways along since when I was there and seen it last.
Lovin' those wheels on there

THX_138 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Very nice I have always wanted to build one of these. I see you have spacer on the axles. Think Wraith's would fit good?
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Looks fantastic! I'm also a sucker for those CACs. I think Pro-Line had the 1/6 Willys Jeeps in mind when they made those tires!
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Very strong start to this one! Looking real good...

Subscribed...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Willys Project M-38 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Willys MB LS Clone svaras Large Scale Rigs 20 02-13-2012 09:28 PM
1.9 Willys Jeep Pickup project! F-150Highlift 1.9 Scale Rigs 193 04-13-2011 01:01 PM
My willys project TwistedIntentions Large Scale Rigs 10 05-24-2009 09:15 PM
Willys Project HULK Large Scale Rigs 41 11-09-2007 10:20 PM